• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Stainless Steel Toys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Birdasaurus

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Andrea
After seeing the post about the toys for "birds who like to screw around," I decided on getting some for my darling CAG so he stops sending the wingnuts to his playstand sailing around the room. Mommy is really tired of getting on her hands and knees searching for these tiny, yet critical pieces.

SOOO....does anyone who resides here carry them? I found them at various stores, but I'd rather contribute to the stores of those I know rather than random internet spots.

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
THey are great toys for sure, but not sure if any members here carry them. Hopefully they will chime in soon!

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
I hope some one knows they are a great toy

Birdasaurus

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Andrea
Thanks for the recommendation Kristen, I'll look into them if no one here has them!

WenM

Real Name
Wendy
I make my own for Ray, our resident mechanic! I purchase long carriage bolts, washers, wing nuts and lock nuts - all ss of course. I then use very heavy acrylic or nickle plate, stainless (spendy) sheet, have my hubby cut the stainless or metal, I cut the acrylic. Sand the edges smooth - drill holes and go to town either with shapes they hang off of or making boxes. I prefer to use the lock nuts (set and tighten HARD with a pliers) so that nothing can be ingested - just in case. He can work them apart and loosen but never take completely off. He works on those for a LONG time. It seems the shapes with the bolts/nuts hanging off are more popular than the boxes, which I thought would be more interesting, but what do I know? He likes the stuff that hangs off and he can loosen rather than opening a box. Maybe the rattle is louder? Anywho - Acrylic or heavy plexi works really well, is easy to cut and sand, drill holes in to hang the hardware off of, non toxic and you can do all kinds of shapes. Just my opinion, but purchasing all that kind of stuff pre-made for Ray was mucho expensive.

Birdasaurus

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Andrea
Wow! That's awesome that you make those! For me this sounds like I'd rather fork out the money :lol: I made a PVC playstand and that was time consuming enough for me...I don't even know where to go about getting sheet metal or what to use to cut acrylic... I envy you for doing this!

WenM

Real Name
Wendy
A jig saw works great for the plexi and acrylic so its really easy to do if you use the small toothed blades - big jagged blades will shatter the edges. Obviously the sheet metal is another matter and I let hubby do that but if you have any friends who are mechanically inclined and have a bandsaw, it's a cinch. They use titanium saw blades to cut the metal, a grinder to smooth the edges. I found that the plexi and acrylic are really easy to work with, a plain old piece of sand paper smooths the edges nicely and any drill will make good holes for the bolts.

Those "strips" with bolts, etc., hanging off they show on their site are so darn easy - you can buy strips already pre-drilled. They are braces and gasket type pieces. Get some long carriage bolts, big floppy washers with holes a bit smaller than the bolt head, wing nuts and a lock nut. You are in business!

Birdasaurus

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Andrea
Hmmm...I think I will attempt the strip! That sounds a bit easier :) Thanks!

Kristy

Welcome to the Avenue!
Wen, you and hubby are quite ambioutios!! lol

My Toos love SS toys like the boxes they can take part but I am fishing for parts daily as I didn't buy the crimped ends ones. I wonder if he knew he couldn't take it completely off if he would loose interest??

Birdasaurus

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Andrea
I'll let you know Kristy because I'm going to get that one...I'm done looking for the little bitty pieces! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.