• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Stage of grief, rage, hormonal or lonely?

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Oh... Lola can have her big toys.... she's the toy tinkerer. Toys last her a very long time! She does have a ( or did) an almost 2 foot piece of a 2x4 on her top tray.... it's a pretty sad looking stick right now. She loves it more than her hanging toys!

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Maybe some chamomile could help her hormones calm. & maybe a little extra sleep!

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Maybe some chamomile could help her hormones calm. & maybe a little extra sleep!
That ship sailed years ago.

I drove to Texas for a bird seminar to hear Jason Crean speak about teas. That was shortly after the amazons moved in and Secret was a mess.

Didn't help.

I wonder if more sleep would.

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Birds can grieve for quite a while. My only real experience with a grieving bird was a cockatiel. He and his mate were together for about 16 years. He wasn't himself for a few months. I thought maybe he'd transfer his bond to me, but he remained tame but untouchable for his whole life that I had him. He'd sit on my shoulder but no scritches ever. He didn't even eat very well for at least a month.
Hormones can pop up at any time. But I feel like if Secret is already mature, that would have started earlier in the year. Haven't you always described her as the less friendly one? She may just be continuing that behavior trend while trying to navigate new flock dynamics without another bird around.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Yes... If I knew the tea would help I'd steep five bags for Henry. It's a natural change that happens every year so I just deal with it. I don't like it but it is what it is. I've enjoyed several months with him being calm, more social and every night he requested skritches and he got them without fail. Every happy noise he made with his eyes closed told me how much he enjoyed it. It's a shame when it comes to an end. This too shall pass and I look forward to it!

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Secret is actually a DNA male and yes, less friendly..... by FAR.
Well that probably explains the chasing aggression then. It could be a hormone flare up. Were you touching anything he might have perceived as his when he charged you? My males are territorial, my females are not. I just went back and read the original post. Looks like he was on the floor. Sometimes that can be a trigger for some birds. Some amazons dislike being on the floor so much that they will make nice and step up for anyone. Others see feet and think chase.
As for vocalizing, it seems to be a social behavior with my amazons more than anything. Diva sometimes carries on just for the sake of making noise. But most of the amazon noise here is started with the purpose of getting others to join in. He might feel like without a flock, he's not that motivated to flock call anymore. Maybe google amazon noises and see what he does when listening to an amazon that isn't MC.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Secret is actually a DNA male and yes, less friendly..... by FAR.
AHAH! What I said about the foot toys and diversions....oh well.... anything is worth a try. I'm going to pray really, really hard they do. So far my prayers go up in smoke with Henry at the present. God still loves me for praying even if Henry doesn't .... bless his little mean green soul.... :angel1:

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
And now?

Every night the birds would be placed on my leg, on top of a baby blanket or receiving blanket and then I would give them veggies or some special food.

2 nights ago Secret clamped down on my leg hard. Hubby thought she was slipping.

Last night, another clamped down bite. No slipping, just being Secret.

I really really miss MC.

Gen120

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Victoria :)
oh no, I haven't read this thread yet nor did I know that he had passed. I am so sorry. I haven't been active here, been busy with other things. I'll go read it real quick.

Greylady1966

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Carol
We got Howard and Charlie the same time from a rescue. They lived in terrible conditions and were about 4 foot foot apart from each other. Howard talked to Charlie everyday and when Howard couldn't see Charlie he would say " get in here Charlie." When Charlie pasted away Howard would call out for him all day, everyday. No one knows how long they were at the rescue together or if they came in together. We left Charlie's house where it was next to Howard's for almost two weeks. It was just so hard to move it. About two times a week Howard will look at where Charlie's house was and talk to him like he's still there. I feel they, like us, all grieve differently.

Greylady1966

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Carol
How did it go with Secret tonight?

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Barking.....

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
With crazy work schedule I haven't been checking in. I don't have the experience with two large parrots. I do know my Amazon adapted pretty well with change, we moved a lot, my work schedule changed a lot and she just seem to go with the flow. Its been a year and 4 months since she has been gone and I still miss her so much I tear up just thinking of her. I know how you feel. All I can say is time will heal.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
If you didn't know this bird. . . .

20200817_223723.jpg

you'd think she was friendly. Just after the picture, the bird dove at me.