• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Squirt started plucking!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alohaimee

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Aimee
Squirt started plucking!?(pics added)

Squirt just started plucking like crazy yesterday and has now plucked a big bald spot on her chest! :(

NOTHING has changed in our house or in her routine. I am expecting a baby any day now, but that can't possible make her pluck can it?!:confused: My friend has her clutchmate and he started plucking a few months ago and hasn't stopped yet and I am so worried Squirt is going to follow suit.

Is it hormonal? She seems very happy and doesn't act stressed out at all! She is almost a year old, so maybe she is reaching maturity or something?

I am so lost and confused and have no idea how to help her! I have never owned a bird that plucked before and I feel like a bad bird mommy for not knowing how to "fix" it.

I went to the store, got her some new toys (in case she was bored) and a mineral supplement for her water that is for molting birds. Will that help her maybe?
The first photo is yesterday, the second is today...

Last edited:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Sudden furious plucking is a sign of a medical problem. The first order of business is a check up.

Stress is always a factor. If it's stressful around there they will pick that up too.

2Birds3Kids

Walking the driveway
You can cut a hole in a sock for wings and two slits for legs and she'll pick at the sock sweater until you can get her to the vet - that might prevent it from becoming habitual.

Also, make sure she is getting a healthy diet not heavy in seed, with lots of fresh veggies. She should be getting whole protein a few times a week too. Does she have lots of toys - could she be bored?

Please let us know if you find the cause.

alohaimee

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Aimee
She does has a great diet with tons of variety. She gets fresh fruits and veggies daily along with pellets and a seed mixture. She has TONS of toys I switch out to make sure she isn't bored. :) I've learned a lot from this board, which is why I was so upset she started plucking. I am doing everything right!

We finally saw the vet and she was treated for Giardia (sp?) just as a precaution since she had been with my friends flock while I was away at Christmas. She has since stopped plucking! :D

We also got her a full spectrum light and leave her uncovered at night now. She seems very VERY happy and has let her new feathers start to grow in! She is still kind of needy, but I think that has to do with me more than her. I am now very overdue with our baby and the anxiety level around here is pretty high.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
We finally saw the vet and she was treated for Giardia (sp?) just as a precaution since she had been with my friends flock while I was away at Christmas. She has since stopped plucking!
That's great to here.

Second order of business is for your friend to have her flock checked out ASAP.

No more interacting with anyone's flock with out a strict quarantine in the future.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thats great that the meds seem to be helping. I agree that your friend should get her flock checked as well.

alohaimee

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Aimee
Yup! I gave her the vet info and asked her to get them checked asap! We are not 100% sure if that is what the problem is, but it can't be a coincidence that Squirt stopped plucking just days after starting the meds! We only just got her bulb in the mail today, so that wasn't the "fix" either. *shrug*

Status
Not open for further replies.