• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Squirt isn’t drinking water.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Squirt is about 8 weeks old now, he is eating seed and pellets, but refuses to touch any kind of fresh stuff (sprouts and veggies) nor cooked stuff. He is only on 2 feedings a day, I have food available for him during the day, as well as water, but he isn’t drinking water, is there any way I can encourage him? I have shown it to him numerous times (I put a drop on his beak thinking maybe he would realize it is water), and put it right next to his food even. I noticed his poop is sometimes dry which I was told is a sign of dehydration, the only fluid he is getting is from the formula.

penguin

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Try PMing Srtiels, she has so much experience with babies. I wonder if maybe watering down the formula once a day would help? Just so that he gets water but still gets enough nutrients. I have no experience with hand feeding so I'm just brainstorming.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I am not a little bird expert but usually the formula ( if not to thick ) is adequate water supply. Have you tried to give water by syringe? Drinking on thier own my just take more time.

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Thank you both!

I have made a thread on a Cockatiel forum that Susanne (srtiels) is on too, see what they say over there.
I wasn’t sure if the formula being the only fluid was adequate enough, but if it is, I would feel much better then. I haven’t tried to give him water from the syringe either, I will have to try that. :)

greymatron

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Nicole
Wait to feed water until the other forum says. My two cents...If its anything like breastmilk, its roughly, what, 80% water? They are getting their water source through the formula they are eating. To me I would wait until

Status
Not open for further replies.