• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Squeaking before pooing and stretching

faithapaul1

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Faith Paul
Hello everyone!

Recently I became the proud new owner of a beautiful green cheek conure, Manny. Manny is fully fledged but is still very much a baby. He eats on his own, knows how to step up and is a wild man for the most part.

The only other bird I’ve had is a cockatiel. With my tiel I know her happy sounds, her angry sounds, content expression, etc., but with Manny I am still learning how to read him.

I noticed, shortly after we brought him home, that Manny makes a very breathy, very quiet squeak as he defecates. He does the classic tail wag before and then does his squeak nearly every single time. When we first brought him home his poos alternated between watery and gigantic solids. Now they seem to be more consistent and appear much smaller, fairly frequent and normal color. I can’t see any undigested food in his feces either. Manny generally doesn’t look like he’s struggling to defecate, but the squeaking worries me. Additionally, Manny looks like he’s in good health. He’s bright eyed, and his feathers are gorgeous!

The sound is similar to the noise made in this video:

He makes a similar sound as he stretches his wings which he does a lot! For the most part Manny is a terrific bird, an excellent eater, rambunctious and a complete love bug. I just don’t want to overlook anything that might cause health issues down the road.

Manny was purchased from a local parrot store. They are a very intense bird store that cranks out birdies by the dozens but also seems to truly care about the well being of their parrots. We were given a blend of food that the bird store makes there. It contains dried fruit, cranberries, walnuts, pistachios, almonds, and a few other things that I cannot remember. They also gave us a cooked food that has veggies, noodles and cinoman sticks in it. Neither of the blends contain pellets. Manny REALLY likes the nuts and cranberries. From what I’ve seen he really only eats those and refuses to try fresh fruits or veggies. After doing some research I ordered the Harrison’s high potency super fine pellets. Manny hasn’t had the chance to try the pellets yet, but I am hoping to ween him off of his strict intake of nuts with that!

Can anyone offer me some advice? Is this just baby sounds, a funny quirk he does, or should I seek medical attention? Thank you so so much!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle

greys4u

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Why not call your vet, talk to the tech, explain the situation and see if an appt is necessary

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
I personally think his eyes look a bit off like mine do when they don't quite feel well. If you haven't had a vet visit/checkup, now is a great time to do so.