• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sprouts

Budgiessss

Walking the driveway
Real Name
marie
Hi guys,
I was growing sprouts for my budgies (regular seed mix and quinoa). I left the seeds to grow for about three days, then I saw that some leaves started to grow...I was wondering if these leaves are safe??

Thanks.

barbs0nly

Walking the driveway
Real Name
lilly
as long as you followed washing protocol during the three days then that’s exactly what you’re looking for :)

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Sprouts have only a little root, once they have little leaves too they’re basically micro greens which are ok to feed too. Sprouts are more beneficial for our birds than micro greens but both are edible as long as they’re grown correctly to limit bacteria

Budgiessss

Walking the driveway
Real Name
marie
Yes I watched them 2 times a day during the 3 days...Thank you guys soo much!

Destiny

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
Do you know what kind of seeds you are sprouting?

Most micro-greens are just fine. They provide a different nutritional profile from the dry seeds or fresh spouts. In most cases, it is better for the birds, since the greens are less fatty and more vitamin-rich.

One exception I can think of is buckwheat. It is better to feed buckwheat before it grows leaves, because the green parts of the buckwheat plant contain a substance that can cause photosensitivity in animals and people.

Budgiessss

Walking the driveway
Real Name
marie
I sprouted some quinoa and this seed mix Screenshot_20210916-201725_Chrome.jpg

javi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JAVI
Yes microgreens from budgie mixes are usually good. I have noticed my budgies prefer them as sprouts tho. Once they turn into microgreens they tend to eat much less of it.

FeatheredM

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
I like to plant my in soil, but I had to make sure my soil was safe. I'd make sure, if you are using soil, that it is safe. How are you planting them? I'm always curious on different ways to plant them:D

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
I've never had any luck with sprouts, what needs to be done?

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
Sprouting is pretty easy, if you have good seeds. Just add water and wait, basically.

The main issue is keeping everything clean and well-rinsed so the excess moisture doesn't encourage too much mold or bacteria to grow along with the seeds.

You can buy various trays, lids, jars, and other gadgets to make things easier, but a wet paper towel on a plate is all you really need to get started.

Budgiessss

Walking the driveway
Real Name
marie
Watch flock talks' video on youtube where they tell u what to do...I didn't know either but that video really explained everything..