• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sprouting tips

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
thanks!! Sure
Basically I soaked 8 hours and then sprouted for 12 hrs (x3). In between each step I rinsed, dipped in water/GSE for 3 min then drained and let sit.

I only sprouted one mix and I used 1/4 cup and had to toss some in the end. It didn’t seem bad but after a few days in the fridge I got rid of it anyway. I also used a timer or alarm on my phone so I didn’t forget to do the rinses (I tend to be forgetful lol)

I just followed everything this video did. It was posted on the website I got my sprouting stuff from :) so she is using the same sprouter and seed I have.

I did it again another time too. but I followed a different tutorial I found on sprout people’s website. This time I did not do the GSE/water dip every time. I only did it once at the very end. In this video he doesn’t do it at all so I’m not sure you even need to but I figured it wouldn’t hurt. I know some say they don’t use any and others who use apple cider vinegar instead -but I didn’t have any ACV. I liked the way he drained it better than the first video and that he didn’t use so much of the GSE (well any actually. Lol)
next batch I’ll probably do same as this again

hope this helps!
Worked a treat thanks ;)
No pics as the girls swiftly worked there way through them.

Bird Momma

Moving in
Real Name
Janet
I sprout in glass bowls with clean wooden covers. Then rinse them in a vegetable strainer bowl then put them back in the clean glass bowl. I never put them in a Tupper ware bowl or any plastic container in the fridge as this encourages mold. I mix the veggies with the sprouts, such as frozen corn, green peas, ect. in zip lock bags then freeze immediately. I take out only what I need for one feeding for all my birds and thaw mostly on the counter. I grow my own kale without fertilizer or any chemicals. Kale is very easy to grow year round. Does anyone know where I can buy sprouting grains in bulk without their containers?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I sprout in glass bowls with clean wooden covers. Then rinse them in a vegetable strainer bowl then put them back in the clean glass bowl. I never put them in a Tupper ware bowl or any plastic container in the fridge as this encourages mold. I mix the veggies with the sprouts, such as frozen corn, green peas, ect. in zip lock bags then freeze immediately. I take out only what I need for one feeding for all my birds and thaw mostly on the counter. I grow my own kale without fertilizer or any chemicals. Kale is very easy to grow year round. Does anyone know where I can buy sprouting grains in bulk without their containers?
What do you mean in bulk without their containers?
Also might be useful to put where you are in the world.

Bird Momma

Moving in
Real Name
Janet
Many times companies that sell sprouting seeds want you to buy their sprouting jars ect. but for my 30+ birds they aren't big enough. I'm in North Georgia, USA.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Many times companies that sell sprouting seeds want you to buy their sprouting jars ect. but for my 30+ birds they aren't big enough. I'm in North Georgia, USA.
Oh ok. I’ve never come across that when buying sprouts before but I’m also not in the US. Hopefully someone can help.