• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sprouting question

Tvdv96

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tessa
Hello,

A while ago I got Sisi to eat her pellets, apples and grapes. At her previous owners she had an all seed diet. So I was thinking about adding sprouted food to her diet as a bit of healthy food, and maybe this is easy to accept for her because she is used to seeds.

Would something like this be helpful to sprout in, or would you all recommend something else?
Screenshot_20200123_084650.jpg

Screenshot_20200123_084718.jpg

And would a sprout mix be better, or selecting something myself?

Thank you so much in advance! :)

Greetings from me and Sisi :cagrf:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
At the moment I have the same sort of sprout grower as the first pic you posted and I find it to work fine. :)

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I use Mason Jars usually. I built ones for my grains from some of that bpa free plastic, problem is they are hard to clean. I use them for things like quinoa.

Buddy transitioned to the sprouts almost seamlessly. Veggies & fruits he was scared of but sprouts he Loves! Now, he even picks sprouts over pieces of dry cereal, I give him on occasion. There was an issue a few months ago & I wasn't able to focus on sprouts for a week & he got dry cereal. About the 5th day he just threw some pieces on the floor of the cage & didn't eat. His evil plan worked he got sprouts the next morning.

Good luck w/ your sprouting, be sure to use a vinegar/water mix to rinse them with it'll help clean them. Give a shout out if you have any ?'s.

Tvdv96

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tessa
I use Mason Jars usually. I built ones for my grains from some of that bpa free plastic, problem is they are hard to clean. I use them for things like quinoa.

Buddy transitioned to the sprouts almost seamlessly. Veggies & fruits he was scared of but sprouts he Loves! Now, he even picks sprouts over pieces of dry cereal, I give him on occasion. There was an issue a few months ago & I wasn't able to focus on sprouts for a week & he got dry cereal. About the 5th day he just threw some pieces on the floor of the cage & didn't eat. His evil plan worked he got sprouts the next morning.

Good luck w/ your sprouting, be sure to use a vinegar/water mix to rinse them with it'll help clean them. Give a shout out if you have any ?'s.
Thank you so much for the tips and the good luck! :joyful: about the vinegar, I thought I read something about rinsing them with apple cider vinegar? Would this be okay?

Love the story about Buddy, they are so smart and just know how to get their way :lol: Sisi is also scared of vegetables and fruit, so I thought this would be great for her!
And will give a shout out if I have any further questions! :)

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Apple cider vinegar is fine, I believe, but there is a "Mother" in it. A "Mother" are all the small chunks of apple & added items that are put in it to create it, like yeast. Some members strain it.

I use white vinegar Buddy hates it if he can taste the vinegar & cider vinegar is the more powerful of the 2, taste wise for him. Unlike the white vinegar even if I just rinse the sprouts he can still smell or taste it & then reject the meal. It's really a "to each it's own" choice. I don't know if Cider vinegar has the full power of mold killing & antibacterial properties like white vinegar.

I know @ least 1 member that uses it. Lets tag them & here what they say.

@DoubleTake
@Mizzely

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I use ACV when I initially soak my sprouts, and then again during my final soak. I find it rinses well and leaves no odor. It does have some health benefits and some vets recommend putting it in your birds water once in a while to keep their system more acidic and a little less hospitable to yeast and bacteria.

Tvdv96

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tessa
Apple cider vinegar is fine, I believe, but there is a "Mother" in it. A "Mother" are all the small chunks of apple & added items that are put in it to create it, like yeast. Some members strain it.

I use white vinegar Buddy hates it if he can taste the vinegar & cider vinegar is the more powerful of the 2, taste wise for him. Unlike the white vinegar even if I just rinse the sprouts he can still smell or taste it & then reject the meal. It's really a "to each it's own" choice. I don't know if Cider vinegar has the full power of mold killing & antibacterial properties like white vinegar.

I know @ least 1 member that uses it. Lets tag them & here what they say.

@DoubleTake
@Mizzely
Thank you so much for helping me! I will try what works best for her then :)

I use ACV when I initially soak my sprouts, and then again during my final soak. I find it rinses well and leaves no odor. It does have some health benefits and some vets recommend putting it in your birds water once in a while to keep their system more acidic and a little less hospitable to yeast and bacteria.
Thank you so much for your answer! Didn't know you could also put it in their water, great tip! :)