• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sprouting for your budgie

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I purchased a bird sprout mix from the Sprout People website. It contains most of what @PoukieBear has listed at the start of this thread. I’ve supplemented what I could find. The boys love it!!

Mybluebird

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Anne
@Kassiani have you fed them them microgreens? How did they like it? Both my guys like sprouts. I started by sprouting a bird seed mixture. I now have the Leslie Moran sprouting mix to try on them. I've given them the first sprouts from that today but so far haven't seen them nibble it.

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Kassiani have you fed them them microgreens? How did they like it? Both my guys like sprouts. I started by sprouting a bird seed mixture. I now have the Leslie Moran sprouting mix to try on them. I've given them the first sprouts from that today but so far haven't seen them nibble it.
I am growing microgreens as well. They are not as enthusiastic, lol! The "french garden" mix I'm growing at the moment has Clover, Arugula, Cress, Radish, Fenugreek, and Dill. I'm hoping they like it!!

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
557AAE8D-F40B-4D1A-AE09-D849FD40C986.jpeg
I must admit, this is kinda fun, lol! Here is the French Garden mix ready to be cut. Now whether or not the budgie boys will eat any of this remains to be seen!

Mybluebird

Real Name
Anne
That looks really good! Where did you get the French Garden? How did you grow it? I'd love to know if your guys take to it. It looks like something I'd like to try. I resisted sprouting for a long time but now I love doing it. Same with herbs - I used to buy the little organic fresh packages in the grocery store but they don't last long in the frig. Now I've got some growing in pots outside, particularly the grasses (wheat, barley, millet) which my guys love. It is so satisfying to see them enjoying something I've grown for them.

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So far I’ve gotten everything from Sprout People. I’ve been happy with everything and shipping is very fast! I grow the micro greens in the tray you see by sprinkling the seeds over a damp pad of hemp fiber. I just purchased a stainless steel sprouter in which you can also grow greens without the mat or pad substrate. I’m starting that tonight with some spicy greens like radishes etc.

Mybluebird

Real Name
Anne
@Kassiani I checked out the Sprout People website - looks good. I'm going to give their seeds a try. I do have two of the Easy Sprout containers which have been working well for me.

clarousel

Do these microgreens require soil? I was put off trying to sprout them cause I read they require soil :roflmao:

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You can use a substrate like a hemp fiber pad or something made out of coconut. I’m currently attempting to grow leafy sprouts vertically in a stainless steel mesh sprouter with no substrate. I’ll let you know how it goes!

Mybluebird

Real Name
Anne
I've always wanted to make sure that the seeds I'm giving my guys is as healthy as possible. I've decided that I should sprout some just to make sure they are good. Their current seed which I've only been giving them about a week has some pellets in it, is low in oats and has no added sugar - seems healthy to me. I carefully picked out as much of the pellets as I could and added about 2 TBL to my sprouter. I rinsed, rinsed and rinsed. During the 12 hour soak, I changed the water frequently and the water stayed clear after about the third change. After 3 days of trying to germinate the seeds, I see tails on only 2-3 seeds. I'll leave them for another day or so but I'm not pleased. I don't want to feed my guys dead seeds! I suggest everyone try this to make sure they are feeding good seeds to their birds.

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The bird mix I’ve gotten and sprouted was showing tails in about 24 hours. By 36 they were ready to use!

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Lil Bird Sprout Mix

And I’ve added peas and broccoli seeds to the mix as well. I’ll put pictures up later of the dry mix in the storage jar I use as well as what I’m in the middle of sprouting right now :)

Mybluebird

Real Name
Anne
Do you feed your birds any seeds? Do they get only sprouts? I've had Tweetie for 14 months and Buddy about 10 months. I'm still trying to work out what I should be feeding them that's healthy.

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yes, they do get a seed mix I make with their Tops pellets at night. I give the about 30% seed to pellet, give or take. The chop I make is veggies, cooked grains, cooked legumes, and sprouts. Lately I've been mixing in the sprouted Lil Bird mix with that in the morning. They snack on sprouts or pellets during the day, and then get the pellet/seed mix at night.

Mybluebird

Real Name
Anne
I like what I see of the Lil Bird Sprouts seeds - just wondered if it could be fed as seeds in addition to the sprouts. I'm introducing my guys to pellets but so far only Buddy eats them. Both eat sprouts!

mogeton

Meeting neighbors
I've always wanted to make sure that the seeds I'm giving my guys is as healthy as possible. I've decided that I should sprout some just to make sure they are good. Their current seed which I've only been giving them about a week has some pellets in it, is low in oats and has no added sugar - seems healthy to me. I carefully picked out as much of the pellets as I could and added about 2 TBL to my sprouter. I rinsed, rinsed and rinsed. During the 12 hour soak, I changed the water frequently and the water stayed clear after about the third change. After 3 days of trying to germinate the seeds, I see tails on only 2-3 seeds. I'll leave them for another day or so but I'm not pleased. I don't want to feed my guys dead seeds! I suggest everyone try this to make sure they are feeding good seeds to their birds.
If you're living in the north or it's otherwise cold in your house, wait for at least 2 or maybe even 3 days to see tails! Mine only show up after 2-3 days, and my house is around 20°C during the day, but 16-17°C at night. I was disappointed the first time I tried my seed mix too, but on the second go, realised the cold was holding them back :)

Mybluebird

Real Name
Anne
My house is a bit "cooler" now - around 69F at night and 73-75F during the day. Sorry to ask so many questions but I'm the type that needs all the information. Do your budgies eat all the sprout seed types or are there some they don't touch, like the sunflower seeds? Do you feed your budgies any seeds and/or pellets or just fresh foods and sprouts? (I hope you don't mind me asking)