• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sprouting for your budgie

BirdWorld

Rollerblading along the road
This is probably a stupid question, but is it possible to sprout the spray millet that you find at pet stores?

Notjomomma

Moving in
Real Name
Joeleen
Just want to check in with you guys, i started sprouting with my babies and they are starting to love it. Once I soak for 24 hours with rinsing in between, i then keep in the fridge in between papertowels? Is that ok? They arent sprouting tails should I leave to soak longer? Im so grateful for this site!

clarousel

Just want to check in with you guys, i started sprouting with my babies and they are starting to love it. Once I soak for 24 hours with rinsing in between, i then keep in the fridge in between papertowels? Is that ok? They arent sprouting tails should I leave to soak longer? Im so grateful for this site!
After the soak, you drain well and leave them in a well ventilated area to sprout. You'll have to rinse and drain a few times in the day (I usually wait around 6-8 hours). Depending on what you're sprouting, it could take longer/shorter time for the tails to grow out. Keep rinsing and draining till the desired tail length then store in the fridge :)

Also! You shouldn't soak for 24h, 8-12h should be fine.

grafton

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Grafton
What a terrific thread this is launched by that wonderful original post. I never knew that the seeds could be fed as soon as 8-12 hours of soaking. Is there an article somewhere that elaborates on this point?

Bamboozal

Sitting on the front steps
Nice posting, I agree , you are the Queen of sprouts !! Thanks for the great info.

K5MOW

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Roger Stenstrom
For sprouting. I always use Leslie Moran Best bird food ever. Her sprouting mix generates very evenly.

Roger

Vincent

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Great thread. My avian vet has misgivings about pellets for budgies (he says a little is okay, but not the ~60% of total diet the manufacturers recommend), and he recommends sprouted seeds. I ordered a sprouting starter kit and am looking forward to trying it.

PoukieBear

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
Great thread. My avian vet has misgivings about pellets for budgies (he says a little is okay, but not the ~60% of total diet the manufacturers recommend), and he recommends sprouted seeds. I ordered a sprouting starter kit and am looking forward to trying it.
Awesome, let us know how it goes!

mogeton

Meeting neighbors
This thread is great!! My budgie is seed-obsessed, and while she takes a bit of chop, it is literally only a bit. I'm trying to convert to some pellets, but it'll be an uphill battle. my new budgie seems similar, though he's only been here for a couple of days
So I'm sprouting! They seem to love the sprouted seeds just as much as dry ones outta the bag! HURRAY!
But I'm wondering how much to feed. Everywhere I've read says 1-2tbsp of seed/day, plus pellet and chop. But how much total should I expect them to eat? Given that they're not eating much chop or pellet, I don't want to underfeed them by not giving enough seed, even if it is sprouted!

PoukieBear

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
I usually feed about a tablespoon a day, per bird. I feed it first thing in the morning, and once it's gone it's gone. And it's always the first to be gobbled up.

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I ordered a micro greens and sprouting starter kit from the Sprout People! I have the microgreens growing away, and I just started a sprout mix tonight :) I'm really far more easily entertained than I should be :rofl:

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I’ve read that they will eat about 10% of their body weight per day? Does that seem about right?

ParrotNuts

Real Name
Atharv
I’ve read that they will eat about 10% of their body weight per day? Does that seem about right?
:yes3: from what I have read. @Mizzely can explain futher :lol:

Also is it necessary to get the sprouting kits? What I do is get Mung beans and Chickpeas and sprout them and it works (but the climate here also suits germination/sprouting)

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:yes3: from what I have read. @Mizzely can explain futher :lol:

Also is it necessary to get the sprouting kits? What I do is get Mung beans and Chickpeas and sprout them and it works (but the climate here also suits germination/sprouting)
I don't think it's necessary at all to get the kits. I just thought I'd have better luck with it if I used a kit to start since I have zero experience!