• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sprouting for your budgie

PoukieBear

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
How do you rinse the sprouts without losing them down the drain?

Also, I am wondering on what variety is necessary. If I start off with just sprouting the Hagen seed, would that be ok? Should my budgies main diet be consisted of sprouts, replacing the seed I currently have them on? Thanks!

I use the Easy Sprout sprouter, it has a slotted bottom on it so I don't lose the seeds when I rinse or soak them.

yes, you can certainly start sprouting with just the Hagen seed mix, and then slowly add in other sprouts as you find them. Eventually you'll be hooked and will have a collection like I do!

mutlus

Meeting neighbors
i think i will try this at weekend.thanks for guide very useful:D

charlieboy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Steph

Thank you so much, Queen of the Sprouts! Excellent read! :jillone:

I'm sooo happy to learn that the Hagen budgie seed mix is great for sprouting! I have one or two bags left and didn't know what to do with them aside from serving as is!

What I fed Charlie tonight was radish, broccoli and mustard, taking note of that :)

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I have been trying sprouting again, I use Hagen seedmix, one spoon, rince, soak, and rince twice a day after that. It has been on for a week and still no tail?! Does it mean the seeds are not fresh enough? They do look very fresh...

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I think you'll find their neither, but they're better than either. But people have different ideas what sprouts are, and some grow them too long. If the seed leaves appear then a lot of that lovely goodness (proteins, vitamins, amino acids) has gone into growing those leaves to the point they can photosynthesise and they become microgreens.

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I think you'll find their neither, but they're better than either. But people have different ideas what sprouts are, and some grow them too long. If the seed leaves appear then a lot of that lovely goodness is gone and they become microgreens.
Sounds like I serve a mix of seeds, sprouts and microgreens then... :confused:

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
Mine get served right as the tail is starting to poke out or a little before. They get more bitter the longer you wait.

We have a saying here: "Variety is the spice of life!" You can't go wrong with serving a variety. :) Just find a routine that you can manage and go with that.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
What a great post this is!

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
They get what I have... If there's leaves, they'll have leaves together with the rest! They do like them too ;) I was just asking because someone said her bird was less aggressive since she cut the seeds from him diet, but since I have a 5kg bag to use, I'll sprout them and I wondered if they still counted as seeds then. :wacky:

CanadianWings

Moving in
So on the soak phase, depending on time, it is worse to short on the soaking side or go long on the soaking side?

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
So on the soak phase, depending on time, it is worse to short on the soaking side or go long on the soaking side?
I would rather shorten the soak time. Just make sure to rinse and dry off well. :)

PoukieBear

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle

I would rather shorten the soak time. Just make sure to rinse and dry off well. :)

I would actually go for a longer soak..... but to be totally honest I've never actually tested this out!

Hmmmmm.... Now I know what I'll be doing this week! I do have two sprout containers, so I'll fill them both with mix and I'll soak one for 6 hours and one for 12 hours, then watch the magic happen. I'll post pics along the way!

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
my reasoning is that the longer it soaks, the longer it's in that water with all the extra vitamins... and that water can go rancid fast. I'd rather pull them early, rinse and dry, and put them in the fridge. They will continue to grow, but at a slower rate. I don't have a problem with that. They've already been activated by the water. :shrug:

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

I would actually go for a longer soak..... but to be totally honest I've never actually tested this out!

Hmmmmm.... Now I know what I'll be doing this week! I do have two sprout containers, so I'll fill them both with mix and I'll soak one for 6 hours and one for 12 hours, then watch the magic happen. I'll post pics along the way!
This was a very well done thread! Love the pictorial!!! TY for taking so much time to make it.

I soak my sprouts from 10-16 hours, usually dependant on type. Grains usually 10. Everything else Average 12.

I use a White vinegar & water bath for rinsing. For things like lentils they can absorb the smell & taste of the vinegar. I will do a small 10 minute fast rinse & soak in plain water before serving or Buddy will not touch them. The only herb addative I found that covers the smell/taste of the vinegar for him so far, is Oregano.

Hermesbird

Real Name
Cat
@PoukieBear this is awesome thank you for sharing. Going to try this tomorrow!