• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sprouting for your budgie

Gribouille

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Ha, that could be it. A bit slack on leg shaving, aren't they :lol:

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
It might not actually be mold. Have a closer look, and see if you notice if it's actually the roots of the sprouts that look "hairy". Here's a close up of what I mean.

I learned something else from this thread! I always throw them away if I see "hairy legs". Thanks again for this!!

Joe Henderson

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Joe Henderson
Hi everyone I have a question that I keep getting conflicting answers on.. once my seeds are sprouting and I put them in the fridge do I now have to wash them every time before feeding ? Sproutpeople says it’s not necessary to do and some people say yes rinse every time before feeding whet do you guys do ? Thanks

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
I literally only soak 8-10 hours, rinse and drain really really well, and then put a paper towel in between the outer cup and the slotted one to catch moisture from the bottom and on top of the seeds as well. Stick in the fridge.

Each day, I pull out the container and get what I need out, and then put it back in the fridge. The batch lasts me 3 days roughly. Then I start a new batch when I'm getting low again.

Bonkers

Hit the Road
Real Name
Bonk's Adventure
I literally only soak 8-10 hours, rinse and drain really really well, and then put a paper towel in between the outer cup and the slotted one to catch moisture from the bottom and on top of the seeds as well. Stick in the fridge.

Each day, I pull out the container and get what I need out, and then put it back in the fridge. The batch lasts me 3 days roughly. Then I start a new batch when I'm getting low again.
Tupper-ware?

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
Tupper-ware?
It depends on if I'm in a hurry or not, haha! I have two of the Easy Sprout containers, so sometimes I leave the batch in there. If I've got extra time, I get out a Tupperware/Rubbermaid container and layer a paper towel on the bottom, pour in the sprouts, and then top with another paper towel. Lid on and into the fridge it goes.

PoukieBear

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
Hi everyone I have a question that I keep getting conflicting answers on.. once my seeds are sprouting and I put them in the fridge do I now have to wash them every time before feeding ? Sproutpeople says it’s not necessary to do and some people say yes rinse every time before feeding whet do you guys do ? Thanks

I like to do it because it makes sure that the sprouts remain moist (to help them continue to sprout) and it keeps them fresher for longer.

I use an easy sprout sprouter, and I leave then in the container for the entire duration of this process, so it's no big deal for me to give them a quick rinse and drain.

Joe Henderson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Joe Henderson
Do you guys use anything like acv or gse if so when do you put it in and for how long
The thing with sprouting is everyone does it differently I am finding out

PoukieBear

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
I've heard of people rinsing their sprouts with a little bit of ACV added, but I personally don't do this....mainly because I never remember to! My birds get ACV in their drinking water anyways, so it's not like they are missing out on it.

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
I've heard of people rinsing their sprouts with a little bit of ACV added, but I personally don't do this....mainly because I never remember to! My birds get ACV in their drinking water anyways, so it's not like they are missing out on it.
I heard from my vet, that if you have a bird that eats a lot of sprouts it must be rinsed in GSE Otherwise they can get various infections. If you are using organic sprouts especially.

PoukieBear

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
I heard from my vet, that if you have a bird that eats a lot of sprouts it must be rinsed in GSE Otherwise they can get various infections. If you are using organic sprouts especially.

Hmmm, all of my sprouts are organic, but my vet has never mentioned any potential issues with them. Maybe I'll try to make ACV more of a habit :)

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
My vet tested my sprout batch a while back, and they told me the result was "no significant bacterial growth". I am using organic seeds from nuts.com. I do pull my sprouts right after the first soak & rinse, but I don't use any extra things like GSE or vinegar. I used vinegar in the past, but I stopped because I couldn't smell the sprouts (to check for freshness) since the smell of the vinegar was so strong.

I feel it helps to only make enough for about 3 days at a time, and to keep them dry. Moisture and warmth will promote unwanted growth faster. Since I'm in Florida, I tend to pull my batch as soon as I can, rinse and dry off well, and then refrigerate. The sprouts do continue to grow in the fridge, but it's much slower -- I'm ok with this, as they are more healthy at the earliest stages. :)

Last edited:

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I used vinegar in the past, but I stopped because I couldn't smell the sprouts (to check for freshness) since the smell of the vinegar was so strong.
Could it be an idea to use light-smelling vinegar like apple vinegar to wash the seeds with before you soak them? They'd be clean from bacterias so it would reduce the risk of unwanted growing stuff, but then the smell wouldn't disturb anything since the vinegar would be washed away when the seeds are soaked?

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
When I used vinegar, it was apple cider vinegar. What it really does is help prevent against growth by making the environment acidic. The smell just really overpowered the light scent of the sprouts, even after extra rinses.

PoukieBear

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
My vet tested my sprout batch a while back, and they told me the result was "no significant bacterial growth". I am using organic seeds from nuts.com. I do pull my sprouts right after the first soak & rinse, but I don't use any extra things like GSE or vinegar. I used vinegar in the past, but I stopped because I couldn't smell the sprouts (to check for freshness) since the smell of the vinegar was so strong.

I feel it helps to only make enough for about 3 days at a time, and to keep them dry. Moisture and warmth will promote unwanted growth faster. Since I'm in Florida, I tend to pull my batch as soon as I can, rinse and dry off well, and then refrigerate. The sprouts do continue to grow in the fridge, but it's much slower -- I'm ok with this, as they are more healthy at the earliest stages. :)

Ah! See, there's a huge difference in our locations, especially with a talk forum like this, we could be located anywhere!
I'm in Ottawa, Canada. So for me, leaving my sprouts on the counter and not in the fridge is totally OK for me to do. We don't get the heat or humidity (Save for a few weeks in the summer) that you do.

I also only make a batch big enough to feed for about three days, this helps cut down on potential bacteria or mold growth.

Bonkers

Hit the Road
Real Name
Bonk's Adventure

Ah! See, there's a huge difference in our locations, especially with a talk forum like this, we could be located anywhere!
I'm in Ottawa, Canada. So for me, leaving my sprouts on the counter and not in the fridge is totally OK for me to do. We don't get the heat or humidity (Save for a few weeks in the summer) that you do.

I also only make a batch big enough to feed for about three days, this helps cut down on potential bacteria or mold growth.
See? I live right next to two lakes. It's like living in Florida... all the time. It's not fun lol.

Joe Henderson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Joe Henderson
I’ve noticed when I put a few tea spoons of acv in the soak water the sprouts don’t come out as good but if I add it to the rinse right after the soak just for a few seconds it’s ok, one thing I have to do to make sure they sort is to dry them I’m taking I spend over ten min shaking twirling towel drying the sides of the cup

Alliusis

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Caitlin
How do you rinse the sprouts without losing them down the drain?

Also, I am wondering on what variety is necessary. If I start off with just sprouting the Hagen seed, would that be ok? Should my budgies main diet be consisted of sprouts, replacing the seed I currently have them on? Thanks!