• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sprouting for your budgie

Pat H

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Pat
No, I wouldn't use it. It should smell "fresh and green" - don't know how else to describe it. Glad the kids liked the first batch. Its good for them, too!
Wonder what you did differently? We all have a learning curve! BTW-- I usually make notes, so if there's a prob, I can hopefully figure it out!

Mybluebird

Real Name
Anne
I have an Easy Sprout. In the initial soak I add 10 drops of grapefruit seed extract (GSE) to the soaking water. That kills any mold or bacteria. The seeds I'm soaking are organic and from an excellent source so they should be very clean. I also rinse them thoroughly after the soak.

Pat H

Real Name
Pat
@Mybluebird... the GSE above is an essential oil? If so, then you probably use the 'real thing', not the cheaper chemical alternative... right?
You must soak a large amount of seeds. [?]

Mybluebird

Real Name
Anne
The GSE I use is made by NutriBiotic. I add 2 Tbl of my sprouting seeds to the Easy Sprout container, fill it with filtered water, add 10 drops GSE. stir and let them soak (usually overnight) for 12 hours.

Stevie

Strolling the yard
I've seen a few posts recently asking about or talking about sprouts.... and since I'm the self proclaimed Queen of the Sprouts, I figured I'd put together this post to help answer the basic question of "How do I sprout seeds for my bird?"

Lets start with my collection of sproutables. You can start small, adding in one or two items at a time, until your bird is used to the new goodies.

LEGUMES

1) Yellow Peas
2) Green Peas
3) Chick Peas
4) Red Lentils
5) Green Lentils
6) Mung Beans

SEEDS & SMALL GRAINS

7) Sesame Seeds
8) Fenugreek
9) Buckwheat
10) Sunflower seeds
11) Brown Flax & Golden Flax seeds
12) Broccoli, Alfalfa, Radish, Mustard, Clover, Radish, Arugula
13) Kaniwa
14) Amaranth
15) Red, Black, White Quinoa
16) White Millet, Red Millet, Nyger seed, Canary seed, Canola seed

LARGE GRAINS

17) Triticale
18) Brown Rice (short)
19) Wheatberries
20) Kamut
21) Wild Rice

BUDGIE SEED

Hagen's Budgie seed mix is the best (that I've found) seed mix for sprouting. It's clean, no added colours or pellets, and always sprouts perfectly.

THE PREP

In a large bowl, I mix equal parts of all my goodies. (Except the Hagen seed mix) I use 1/4 cup of everything so that I have lots of dry mix ready for the next couple of weeks.

Once it is all mixed together, I store it in a mason jar (Because clearly I have a healthy obsession with them!)

THE SOAK

Use Equal parts of the sprouting blend and the Hagen budgie seed. Depending on how many birds you are feeding, you can adjust the amount that you soak. For the purpose of this thread, I've used 1 tablespoon of each (Since the majority of people are only feeding one or two budgies)

1Tbls of Sprout blend

1Tbls of Hagen Budgie seed

Give the sprout mix a good rinse, to get rid of any dirt or dust.

Fill the sprouting container with clean water, and allow to soak for 8 - 12 hours.

Once the soak is done, drain the container and give the sprouts another good rinse. You can store these on your counter, away from sunlight (They don't need light to sprout).

When the soak is done, the sprouts are ready to feed to your bird. You do not need to wait for a sprout tail to appear, since the beneficial changes in the seed is already happening on the inside.

The seeds have now woken up from their dormant stage, are lower in fat and carbohydrates, higher in protein and vitamins.

Don't forget to rinse your spouts a couple of times a day. This keeps them fresh and moist, and will continue the sprouting process.

You can feed the sprouts on their own, or you can mix them up with a vegetable chop if your birds are used to eating veggies.

Such great info!!! Thank you!

Joe Henderson

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Joe Henderson
Is ten drops of the nuitribiotic gse allot ? They say too use that Much for laundry? How much acv would I use if I add it to the. Soak water, can I do that?

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Has anyone tried to sprout millet on the cob?

DesertBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
I sprouted seeds for my budgies for the first time. It worked really well! My budgies seem to like it too.

Kalps

Moving in
Real Name
Kalpana Rohilla
I've seen a few posts recently asking about or talking about sprouts.... and since I'm the self proclaimed Queen of the Sprouts, I figured I'd put together this post to help answer the basic question of "How do I sprout seeds for my bird?"

Lets start with my collection of sproutables. You can start small, adding in one or two items at a time, until your bird is used to the new goodies.

LEGUMES

1) Yellow Peas
2) Green Peas
3) Chick Peas
4) Red Lentils
5) Green Lentils
6) Mung Beans

SEEDS & SMALL GRAINS

7) Sesame Seeds
8) Fenugreek
9) Buckwheat
10) Sunflower seeds
11) Brown Flax & Golden Flax seeds
12) Broccoli, Alfalfa, Radish, Mustard, Clover, Radish, Arugula
13) Kaniwa
14) Amaranth
15) Red, Black, White Quinoa
16) White Millet, Red Millet, Nyger seed, Canary seed, Canola seed

LARGE GRAINS

17) Triticale
18) Brown Rice (short)
19) Wheatberries
20) Kamut
21) Wild Rice

BUDGIE SEED

Hagen's Budgie seed mix is the best (that I've found) seed mix for sprouting. It's clean, no added colours or pellets, and always sprouts perfectly.

THE PREP

In a large bowl, I mix equal parts of all my goodies. (Except the Hagen seed mix) I use 1/4 cup of everything so that I have lots of dry mix ready for the next couple of weeks.

Once it is all mixed together, I store it in a mason jar (Because clearly I have a healthy obsession with them!)

THE SOAK

Use Equal parts of the sprouting blend and the Hagen budgie seed. Depending on how many birds you are feeding, you can adjust the amount that you soak. For the purpose of this thread, I've used 1 tablespoon of each (Since the majority of people are only feeding one or two budgies)

1Tbls of Sprout blend

1Tbls of Hagen Budgie seed

Give the sprout mix a good rinse, to get rid of any dirt or dust.

Fill the sprouting container with clean water, and allow to soak for 8 - 12 hours.

Once the soak is done, drain the container and give the sprouts another good rinse. You can store these on your counter, away from sunlight (They don't need light to sprout).

When the soak is done, the sprouts are ready to feed to your bird. You do not need to wait for a sprout tail to appear, since the beneficial changes in the seed is already happening on the inside.

The seeds have now woken up from their dormant stage, are lower in fat and carbohydrates, higher in protein and vitamins.

Don't forget to rinse your spouts a couple of times a day. This keeps them fresh and moist, and will continue the sprouting process.

You can feed the sprouts on their own, or you can mix them up with a vegetable chop if your birds are used to eating veggies.

Very well explained and I started giving this to my budgies and they absolutely love it. One question can it be given to them everyday as they love to have it ?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Very well explained and I started giving this to my budgies and they absolutely love it. One question can it be given to them everyday as they love to have it ?
My birds get sprouts daily :)