• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sprouting Easy or Complicated?

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I get the little bird blend and wheat sprouts from sprout people and use the Easy Sprouter.

K.D.

Moving in
Real Name
Elizabeth
Most people who are against GMO produce are not aware that organic producers use "GMO" as well. In fact any produce that has been crossbred for specific qualities are a GMO (Genetically Modified Organism). The organic trade has used GM methods for many years - I don't like the way they do it.

Here is a definition of GMO;
"A genetically modified organism (GMO), also known as a transgenic organism, is any organism whose genetic material has been altered using genetic engineering techniques. GMOs are the source of genetically modified foods and are also widely used in scientific research and to produce goods other than food."

Here is how the organics producers accomplish genetic modification;

Contrast this with a common tool of breeding in organic and non-GMOfarming: Mutation Breeding. This is a technique whereby farmers expose seeds to large doses of radiation or chemical mutagens, and then selectively breed the seeds that have useful traits. This process may introduce hundreds or thousands of mutations into the genomes, and breeders cannot know where those mutations are. These mutations will change the shape and functions of proteins, and could,in principle produce new allergens. Despite the fact that this process is manipulating the genome, it’s not considered genetic engineering, and is allowed to be called organic.

The new plant lines are untested for safety and not assessed for environmental impact. They want to put these on your dinner table and feed them to children!

Actually it has been done for decades. No opposition, no labels wanted, no protesters, no fear. Okay for organic cultivation and the EU."

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/guest-blog/2013/05/30/allergic-to-science-proteins-and-allergens-in-our-ally-engineered-food/
One of the main reasons for genetic modification is to make the plants resistant to Roundup which is a systemic weed killer. The GMO plants still absorb all the roundup into their stems and leaves but they don’t die. We eat them instead or feed them to our animals

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have mixed opinions on GMO's... I think that there are some good (pro's) to them. That being said I don't know if GMO should wipe out the original plants.

Renee's Birds

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Renee Mills
When sprouting, you must rinse many times, throughout the day. Three days is the max I go. Bacteria grows so rinsing is a must. The Eclectus Ark in Oklahoma says you can use hydrogen peroxide to kill the bacteria followed up by many through rinses before refrigerating. I do not use the hydrogen peroxide. I just make sure I rinse at least 10 times, 3 times a day, 30 rinses. My ekkie boy loves them and he's so healthy.

Attachments

clawnz

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Clive
Hi! A long time has passed, since I last was posting on this thread.

The knowledge and comments have been huge.
Years on I still refer people to this thread.
For all things sprouting.

Years on and I have not changed much at all.
Only if this post is allowed to be continued will I then add details of current set up.

Attachments

Kimmie

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim
Do we need to buy "organic" seeds or can we get the seeds from the grocery store too???

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Do we need to buy "organic" seeds or can we get the seeds from the grocery store too???
You do not need organic. You can even usually sprout basic cockatiel and parakeet seeds :)

Kimmie

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim
You do not need organic. You can even usually sprout basic cockatiel and parakeet seeds :)
OK good to know...I don't have small bird's so I don't have small seeds. I did get some Whole Mung beans but nowhere on the bag do I see "organic" so I thought I would ask. I did get some Chick peas too.
Tysm :)

Kimmie

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim
OK good to know...I don't have small bird's so I don't have small seeds. I did get some Whole Mung beans but nowhere on the bag do I see "organic" so I thought I would ask. I did get some Chick peas too.
Tysm :)
I've had bird's for quite a few yr's but sprouting always scared me with yeast etc, so I'm giving this a go! LOL

UwU alien

Moving in
My parents and I don't have any pets currently, but we have been soaking and sprouting legumes, grains, seeds and nuts for a few years. I usually soak the thing in the jars for a day or so, is it necessary to follow such specific soaking times?
:goldielkt: Also, I sprout stuff directly in the glass jars, we use these light very breathable socks that we only use for this purpose, but we are getting 2 stainless steel sprouting lids soon.
:fgara:My parents have always said that grains and legumes must be cooked first before being edible even if they are sprouted, so we cook them for a long time by boiling or in a pressure cooker. Is this true for parrots, finches and pigeons/doves too? Cooking them would eliminate the concerns you had, right?
:dyh:For nuts and seeds that we get, we can eat them raw, but sometimes we bake them so that they can last longer without going bad.We store them after they cool down in glass jars, but I don't know if it's better to put jars in the fridge or in the food pantry.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
My parents and I don't have any pets currently, but we have been soaking and sprouting legumes, grains, seeds and nuts for a few years. I usually soak the thing in the jars for a day or so, is it necessary to follow such specific soaking times?
:goldielkt: Also, I sprout stuff directly in the glass jars, we use these light very breathable socks that we only use for this purpose, but we are getting 2 stainless steel sprouting lids soon.
:fgara:My parents have always said that grains and legumes must be cooked first before being edible even if they are sprouted, so we cook them for a long time by boiling or in a pressure cooker. Is this true for parrots, finches and pigeons/doves too? Cooking them would eliminate the concerns you had, right?
:dyh:For nuts and seeds that we get, we can eat them raw, but sometimes we bake them so that they can last longer without going bad.We store them after they cool down in glass jars, but I don't know if it's better to put jars in the fridge or in the food pantry.
I usually soak overnight, 8-12 hours. I'm not timing it. Then I rinse every 6-12 hours depending on temperature and when I remember.

Grains do not need to be cooked, but most legumes do. Many legumes contain toxic substances that are only destroyed with heat. Mung beans and adzuki beans are ones that do not need to be cooked.

I don't know about the nuts thing.

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
I don't cook sprouts, if that is what you are asking, because it kills them. I feed raw sprouted grains, legumes and seeds to my parrots. They are a great source of enzymes (which get killed if you cook them) and vitamins and minerals. I'll also feed cooked grains and legumes but these aren't sprouted beforehand.

I wouldn't have thought it necessary to put baked nuts in the fridge (not sure), but that is certainly a way to extend the life of raw nuts. I keep packets of raw nuts in the fridge.

UwU alien

Moving in
I don't cook sprouts, if that is what you are asking, because it kills them. I feed raw sprouted grains, legumes and seeds to my parrots. They are a great source of enzymes (which get killed if you cook them) and vitamins and minerals. I'll also feed cooked grains and legumes but these aren't sprouted beforehand.

I wouldn't have thought it necessary to put baked nuts in the fridge (not sure), but that is certainly a way to extend the life of raw nuts. I keep packets of raw nuts in the fridge.
my parents have always said it causes indigestion to eat them raw. Is it true for people at least?
For the nuts and seeds we bake, i soak and sprout them first, if they are sproutable, then we bake

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
Very curious. Many people eat raw sprouts for health. I used to eat raw sprouts before getting parrots. You can buy raw sprouts such as alfalfa in supermarkets to add to salads or sandwiches. They are much more nutritious raw. I know you can add bought mung sprouts to stir fries but that is the only instance where I’ve heard of them being cooked. I only let my sprouts grow for about 2 - 3 days before eating them.

UwU alien

Moving in
Very curious. Many people eat raw sprouts for health. I used to eat raw sprouts before getting parrots. You can buy raw sprouts such as alfalfa in supermarkets to add to salads or sandwiches. They are much more nutritious raw. I know you can add bought mung sprouts to stir fries but that is the only instance where I’ve heard of them being cooked. I only let my sprouts grow for about 2 - 3 days before eating them.
for certain stuff like alfalfa seeds we eat them raw after they sprouted and I planted a bunch of seeds into our garden plots as cover crops during the short growing season. I was specifically talking about grains and legumes