• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sprouting Easy or Complicated?

Tara81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
She takes a few nibbles of kale then ignores it. Same with broccoli, although sometimes she eats more then a few bites. She does like carrots yay! And will pick out all the carrot if I had it to a chop.

I do a cooked vege mash of broccoli green beans peas quinoa cauliflower carrots , she picks out the quinoa from what I can see. My birds get this every day.

She also gets sprouts every morning :) I’ve tried putting chop with it but she ignores the chop and goes for the sprouts so I end up giving veges after four hours or the sprouts are gone.

I hide some dehydrated veges in toys and she sometimes eats carrot, green peppers and broccoli. Ignores the orange and red peppers. Every second day I’ll give some dehydrated fruit. Shreds the apple, and eats the seeds off the strawberry. Ignores mango.

I don’t even know what silverbeet and bottlebrush is :) will look for it!

Last edited:

clawnz

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Clive
Nutrition
Sprouts can be germinated at home or produced industrially. They are a prominent ingredient of a raw food diet and are common in Eastern Asian cuisine.

Sprouting, like cooking, reduces anti-nutritional compounds in raw legumes. Raw lentils, for example, contain lectins, anti-nutritional proteins which can be reduced by sprouting or cooking. Sprouting is also applied on a large scale to barley as a part of the malting process. A downside to consuming raw sprouts is that the process of germinating seeds can also be conducive to harmful bacterial growth.

Sprouts used for a verrine.

Mung bean sprouts in a bowl that have been bleached, dramatically reducing their nutritional content as is typical with store bought mung bean sprouts. See above for unbleached, natural green/white mung bean sprouts.
Sprouts are rich in digestible energy, vitamins, minerals, amino acids, proteins, and phytochemicals, as these are necessary for a germinating plant to grow.[8][9][10][11] These nutrients are also essential to human health.

The nutritional changes upon germination and sprouting are summarized below.

Chavan and Kadam (1989)[12] concluded that

• "The desirable nutritional changes that occur during sprouting are mainly due to the breakdown of complex compounds into a more simple form, transformation into essential constituents and breakdown of nutritionally undesirable constituents. This is a reason why sprouts are also called pre-digested foods [13]"
  • "The metabolic activity of resting seeds increases as soon as they are hydrated during soaking. Complex biochemical changes occur during hydration and subsequent sprouting. The reserve chemical constituents, such as protein, starch and lipids, are broken down by enzymes into simple compounds that are used to make new compounds."
  • "Sprouting grains causes increased activities of hydrolytic enzymes, improvements in the contents of total proteins, fat, certain essential amino acids, total sugars, B-group vitamins, and a decrease in dry matter, starch and anti-nutrients. The increased contents of protein, fat, fibre and total ash are only apparent and attributable to the disappearance of starch. However, improvements in amino acid composition, B-group vitamins, sugars, protein and starch digestibilities, and decrease in phytates and protease inhibitors are the metabolic effects of the sprouting process."
Increases in protein quality
Chavan and Kadam (1989) stated that:[12]

Very complex qualitative changes are reported to occur during soaking and sprouting of seeds. The conversion of storage proteins of cereal grains into albumins and globulins during sprouting may improve the quality of cereal proteins. Many studies have shown an increase in the content of the amino acid Lysine with sprouting.

An increase in proteolytic activity during sprouting is desirable for nutritional improvement of cereals because it leads to hydrolysis of prolamins and the liberated amino acids such as glutamic and proline are converted to limiting amino acids such as lysine.[12]

Here is a more logical link.
Sprouting or Germinating Seeds for Your Birds | Beauty of Birds

• Germination offers an easy, clean and safe way to provide superior nutrition to your birds. Simply soak the seeds to the point where the root tips show and feed to your birds ....
    • Process: Soak a daily portion of seeds, grains and legumes ("Sprouts") in pure, clean water overnight. If you keep the seeds at room temperature (on the counter, for example), the seeds start germinating after 12 hours. If you keep the soaking seeds in the fridge, it will take around 24 hours to germinate). Germination is safer as the process is shorter and the seeds or grains don’t have time to deteriorate - and yet, germinated seeds also offer superior "living" nutrition similar to sprouts.... Note: only germinate one portion at a time.

It all goes against what Carolyn Tielfan would like to convince you.

Tara81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
Nutrition
Sprouts can be germinated at home or produced industrially. They are a prominent ingredient of a raw food diet and are common in Eastern Asian cuisine.

Sprouting, like cooking, reduces anti-nutritional compounds in raw legumes. Raw lentils, for example, contain lectins, anti-nutritional proteins which can be reduced by sprouting or cooking. Sprouting is also applied on a large scale to barley as a part of the malting process. A downside to consuming raw sprouts is that the process of germinating seeds can also be conducive to harmful bacterial growth.

Sprouts used for a verrine.

Mung bean sprouts in a bowl that have been bleached, dramatically reducing their nutritional content as is typical with store bought mung bean sprouts. See above for unbleached, natural green/white mung bean sprouts.
Sprouts are rich in digestible energy, vitamins, minerals, amino acids, proteins, and phytochemicals, as these are necessary for a germinating plant to grow.[8][9][10][11] These nutrients are also essential to human health.

The nutritional changes upon germination and sprouting are summarized below.

Chavan and Kadam (1989)[12] concluded that

• "The desirable nutritional changes that occur during sprouting are mainly due to the breakdown of complex compounds into a more simple form, transformation into essential constituents and breakdown of nutritionally undesirable constituents. This is a reason why sprouts are also called pre-digested foods [13]"
  • "The metabolic activity of resting seeds increases as soon as they are hydrated during soaking. Complex biochemical changes occur during hydration and subsequent sprouting. The reserve chemical constituents, such as protein, starch and lipids, are broken down by enzymes into simple compounds that are used to make new compounds."
  • "Sprouting grains causes increased activities of hydrolytic enzymes, improvements in the contents of total proteins, fat, certain essential amino acids, total sugars, B-group vitamins, and a decrease in dry matter, starch and anti-nutrients. The increased contents of protein, fat, fibre and total ash are only apparent and attributable to the disappearance of starch. However, improvements in amino acid composition, B-group vitamins, sugars, protein and starch digestibilities, and decrease in phytates and protease inhibitors are the metabolic effects of the sprouting process."
Increases in protein quality
Chavan and Kadam (1989) stated that:[12]

Very complex qualitative changes are reported to occur during soaking and sprouting of seeds. The conversion of storage proteins of cereal grains into albumins and globulins during sprouting may improve the quality of cereal proteins. Many studies have shown an increase in the content of the amino acid Lysine with sprouting.

An increase in proteolytic activity during sprouting is desirable for nutritional improvement of cereals because it leads to hydrolysis of prolamins and the liberated amino acids such as glutamic and proline are converted to limiting amino acids such as lysine.[12]

Here is a more logical link.
Sprouting or Germinating Seeds for Your Birds | Beauty of Birds

• Germination offers an easy, clean and safe way to provide superior nutrition to your birds. Simply soak the seeds to the point where the root tips show and feed to your birds ....
    • Process: Soak a daily portion of seeds, grains and legumes ("Sprouts") in pure, clean water overnight. If you keep the seeds at room temperature (on the counter, for example), the seeds start germinating after 12 hours. If you keep the soaking seeds in the fridge, it will take around 24 hours to germinate). Germination is safer as the process is shorter and the seeds or grains don’t have time to deteriorate - and yet, germinated seeds also offer superior "living" nutrition similar to sprouts.... Note: only germinate one portion at a time.

It all goes against what Carolyn Tielfan would like to convince you.
Thanks again, you have put my mind more at ease :)

Renee's Birds

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Renee Mills
I have a 15 month old male Eclectus I rescued on Father's Day. He was never fed any fresh veggies or fresh fruit what so ever. He was on a mixture of Pretty Bird & Zupreem pellets, seed, dried fruit & nuts. I was able to get him away from those pellets to Top's immediately. Now I'm struggling w/him eating anything fresh except raw carrots.

My next step is sprouting, I waiting for the mung bean seeds to arrive. Today his bowls only have fresh chopped veggies w/pellets & I just added a little seed to it in hope's that will attract him.

These people who buy birds w/out researching to insure proper dietary needs are infuriating. The good news is, he does look healthy, feathers are full & bright & he flies. He's a very sweet & gentle boy. I named him Saint. I've got to get him to eat fresh veggies and also legumes because of that long digestive tract they have.

He's settled in & we've bonded very nicely. He's a very sweet, calm boy, he loves to cuddle my neck. He's also potty trained, he learned that very quickly.

Hopefully he start eating fresh chop & legumes.

I have been working on seeing at what cost my seed mix comes out at.

I know I can buy one soak & sprout mix here. For $3.50nz per Kg.
I do consider it a very good product, as they claim it is made up of all NZ types.
But it is basic, and cost is the reason why, I am guessing. Still very good for anyone wanting to learn and gain confidence.

My own mix always has 20+ types. And I do count multiply things like White Peas, Maple Peas, Peas, as just one type.
Unlike you see in some mixes.
Lentils is one of them. No matter how many types of Lentils, I count them all as one, just one portion size of them all mixed together.

Here is a fact for you re an Eclectus.
He was on a good diet (From what we discussed) including sprouts.
I got him to put on weight while he was here. After long discussions with some very good friends.
As we do feel he is under weight.
Which could be many reasons. All vet checks have been negative.
After he went home he started to loose those gains.
We switched him back on to my sprout mix, mainly. Yes his owner also made other changes as well. After talking to me.

She still thinks it is the sprout mix that is doing the most good, and he has gained back a little.
He is also young at 16mths old, so will gain a certain amount or should be over the next year.

If you are feeding a sprout mix!
Please remember. You can always add many other seed types to it. And take it to the next level.

clawnz

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Clive
I had Croky in boarding once for 5weeks. His owner was feeding him Top Flight Soak & Sprout as part of his diet.
He took to mine so well, he will actually walk past Top Flight to eat mine.
His owner takes him on long walks and trails. And she finds taking sprouts along makes it easy.

We have watched him climb into another birds cage to eat them. And there was no way he could of seen what was in the food bowl, so my best guess is that he could smell them.

Renee's Birds

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Renee Mills
How do you store it? They don't seem to survive for too long. My big boy ain't too happy with sprouts. Tried. Tried mixing with honey and no success. He is spoiled probably...
Hi there, I'm Renee,

I started sprouting & my Ekkie loves it. I rescued him at 15 months old, had a terrible diet of dyed pellets & dried fruit & nuts covered in salt & sugar. Nothing fresh to eat. He loves sprouts though, he goes for them 1st even before his almonds. I sprout a little at a time and they stay good in the fridge up to around 5-6 days as long as you pay dry the moisture.

Ekkie's require legumes added to their diet. I'm able to get his legumes in by sprouting, plus all of his fresh veggie diet is now all sprouts. Carrots, kale, broccoli, mung bean, chickpeas, lentils, adzuki bean, radish, spinach, chia & flax seeds, he loves them all.

I also add sprouts to my salads now, I learned that you have to keep them out of the light or they will become bitter, so I cover my colander w/a towel.

Attachments

Mermaid

Meeting neighbors
I've tried sprouting several times. While it's relatively easy, my parrotlet is just not into sprouts. He loves his chop, though, so I can't complain!

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've tried sprouting several times. While it's relatively easy, my parrotlet is just not into sprouts. He loves his chop, though, so I can't complain!
If he's loving his chop that's great! There feathers are always pretty when they get lotsa fresh

Sherry S

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sherry M Surrency
Thank you for the advice and information. I have been wanting to sprout a nice variety of goodies for all my birds. I just have not been able to find a good source for starting.

clawnz

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Clive
Have I been doing it wrong ? Lol. I’ve been sprouting for three years, but every night I put the sprouts in the fridge to slow the growth. I don’t dry my sprouts out, I just keep growing them for 4-5 days then their all used up. They have tails about 1 cm after four days. I feed them after the first soak and rinse, as I’ve read the germination process has already started. I find if I don’t put them in the fridge at night they dry out overnight and don’t grow anymore.

Have I missed replying to this?

Yes I start feeding out, from end of soak period, as well.
They are good to go after 12hrs soaking.

If they dry out to much, yes they will dry.
So when putting in fridge, do you cover them and what are they in?

Because I do an amount that will last me 5 to 6 days, I split in half and one lot goes in the fridge.
In a strainer in a bowl, uncovered. But rinsed at least once a day. That could be two days from after soaking, and before I start using.
The other half is left on the bench, rinsed twice a day and used first.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Have I missed replying to this?

Yes I start feeding out, from end of soak period, as well.
They are good to go after 12hrs soaking.

If they dry out to much, yes they will dry.
So when putting in fridge, do you cover them and what are they in?

Because I do an amount that will last me 5 to 6 days, I split in half and one lot goes in the fridge.
In a strainer in a bowl, uncovered. But rinsed at least once a day. That could be two days from after soaking, and before I start using.
The other half is left on the bench, rinsed twice a day and used first.

I like this idea! I'm gonna have to try this w/ my next large batch. Ty for the advice!

clawnz

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Clive
Here is a subject that needs clearing up.
As this is where issues can start.

DO NOT USE ANY WARM WATER.

I am do some reading up on bacteria and molds.
These are what put so many off.
It does not help, that the doom and gloom merchants are always going on about "Don't Sprout. You may or will make your birds sick.

All the links I have been offered and have looked at myself, none refer to sprouts as we know for birds.
They are for the ones like you see in the shops, and are really micro greens, as they are grown on.

We sprout to and serve when the tails are 1/2in or less. Due to we are looking for the best nutritional values.
Once they are past that 1/2in they are not as good.
In fact I would throw them away id they get too long.

Three bacteria I see are possible. BUT! What I did find is the time involved for any bacteria to grow to a dangerous level.
And it is not a few days.

I had one person who says they are not safe if left in the feeders for more than a hour or two.
This is so false. Depending on temps.
Here in Auckland I leave out all day. Served in the morning, and not cleared until next day.
And in 10yrs have not had one issue that makes me think, I do wrong.
And funny thing is the sprouts are still alive and growing.
Remember I DO NOT USE any sanitisers. Just good old clean water for soaking and rinsing.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
@clawnz thank you for your consistent contribution to educating our members here on AA. You certainly deserve another blue badge under your avitar!

DoubleTake

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
Organic apple cider vinegar also helps keeps them "fresher" a bit longer and kills some bacteria. I use it during the soaking period and i'll add it before I rinse as well.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Organic apple cider vinegar also helps keeps them "fresher" a bit longer and kills some bacteria. I use it during the soaking period and i'll add it before I rinse as well.
I did some reading after numerous failed crops due to an un-named vendor recommending ACV. This was after my water pitcher was in fact covered internally in a dark mold (no wonder the crops were failing). Thank goodness Buddy was smart enough to sense it before I could see, taste or smell it. Don't ask me why, he just knew & wouldn't touch them. ACV has actual chunks of apple in it, which can spoil & cause issue if left on a counter like my water pitcher & with the added heat wave days. All happened @ 1 time! But ultimately it was the chunks of apples that add flavor to salad dressing which is why ACV is around. This may have a teeny tiny bit of killing power because of some acid, for bacterias & mold but basically none compared to white vinegar. It's purpose is strictly flavoring (based on the articles I read)!

Now white vinegar & water whole different deal. Great on poop cleaning & also sprout cleaning. Switched back around time un-named vendor was moving off group. No more failed crops, Buddy's really really digging into those sprouts again!

Just trying to save you all my heart ache & penny pinching ways. It killed me over & over trying to figure out the root cause . (so to speak!). A few hours of research & fixed it all up. Weeks of baloney :arghh: finally ended!

DoubleTake

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
I did some reading after numerous failed crops due to an un-named vendor recommending ACV. This was after my water pitcher was in fact covered internally in a dark mold (no wonder the crops were failing). Thank goodness Buddy was smart enough to sense it before I could see, taste or smell it. Don't ask me why, he just knew & wouldn't touch them. ACV has actual chunks of apple in it, which can spoil & cause issue if left on a counter like my water pitcher & with the added heat wave days. All happened @ 1 time! But ultimately it was the chunks of apples that add flavor to salad dressing which is why ACV is around. This may have a teeny tiny bit of killing power because of some acid, for bacterias & mold but basically none compared to white vinegar. It's purpose is strictly flavoring (based on the articles I read)!

Now white vinegar & water whole different deal. Great on poop cleaning & also sprout cleaning. Switched back around time un-named vendor was moving off group. No more failed crops, Buddy's really really digging into those sprouts again!

Just trying to save you all my heart ache & penny pinching ways. It killed me over & over trying to figure out the root cause . (so to speak!). A few hours of research & fixed it all up. Weeks of baloney :arghh: finally ended!
I could see that happening. I usually poor it over the tiny mesh so if it gets in, it can come back out, only use Bragg's organic ACV. Been doing it for over a year with no issues but good to know.

The whole ACV is to acidulate the water. If people are wondering. You can google it.

clawnz

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Clive

Excellent you sussed it out.
So I take it you are on track at last.

Thank you so much for letting us know.
And I like your determination to sort, and did not give up.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Excellent you sussed it out.
So I take it you are on track at last.

Thank you so much for letting us know.
And I like your determination to sort, and did not give up.
Buddy sometimes needs a little time, & for Mom to eat a little but he always eventually dives in.

As for failed crops, have one occasionally, don't get me wrong. However, it's for dumb reasons like, fell asleep & missed the night time rinse.

Buddy's feathers are so
sparkly/opal esense/iridescence
since starting sprouts! I've also been encouraging new members to join in. Don't go too far, I may need your help for their ?'s too! :joyful:

PufF

Real Name
Sam Chan
Question
-Will be planning to sprout,would a mineral water bottle (transparent,cut and with holes in lid to drain water) be alright (to soak & sprout) ?Will put in shaded area though.

-Or would a tray/jar be better to leave for sprouting after soak?Will have holes too (I hope,because I'll need to find a tray thin enough to poke holes.I think that I have one suitable for that purpose,but will need to dig.

-Do you need to cook quinoa/safflower/sunflower/etc before you serve?If so,how long since I think I'll cook (leave in boiling water I suppose) them anyways.

-Temperature here is at least 32℃ and up to 40+℃,wondering if around 6℃ fridge be better option to sprout.Our tap water is drinkable so water ain't an issue.

-Able to rinse 3-4/day and all.

-Want to know if chilli (small pointed red kind) can be sprouted,if so,how long?

-Will be sprouting sunflower+safflower+quinoa+millet,likely using store bought seeds.

-Might be sprouting mung beans+red mung beans (these 2 more likely than rest,I have some at home but rather old,sproutable as I planted them before earlier this year,so not sure if can sprout anymore.Probably not using though)+corn+seasame+oats.Will try to get freshest batch for other 3 as I don't have stock for them (I don't like corn,oats and seasame and dried corn or fresh corn?No cook right?)

-Could I make a transport device with a bigger container with sprouts and smaller container inside bigger container filled with ice to keep fresh.The transportation time would likely be 2 hours but will be staying in a 20℃+- temperature for 3/4 of journey.

Will post again if have more questions/ideas.