• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sprouted Seed

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
So I am having a very difficult time finding seed that will actually sprout...

Granted I probably have not been doing a very good job searching as I am picky and trying to find that perfect and easy source.

Very first seed I tried was a mixed bag of wild finch seed mix. I figured it probably would not sprout as I imagined the manufacture had intentionally killed off the seed to try to prevent it sprouting in people yards, which for wild bird seed is I imagine a desirable trait in their product.

I also tried to find some seed at the grocery store, but did not have much luck. At least not a bulk offering of lots of different types of seed. At the end of the day, I just came away with a small bag of lentils that I thought they might like (those did sprout). What section of the grocery store should I look?

I finally tried one more bag of seed, this time a mixed millet blend from tractor supply hoping that maybe this seed was in a more natural state. No luck... no sprouting.

This leaves me finally reaching out to you guys. What is the best place to buy seed in larger quantities and varieties that I can be sure will sprout. Also something that is easy to purchase from such as a local store, or Amazon, etc. I would prefer to avoid small third party websites with unsecured or convoluted purchase processes unless I can easily buy via PayPal.

Also, what seed would you recommend to sprout for Finches?

Different types of millet?
Niger?
Other?

Thanks!

Menagerie Mama

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heidi
I will be watching to see what advice others have to offer, as I've been wanting to start sprouting seeds for my canary, too...

datlamb

Sprinting down the street
the cockatiel seed mix and budgie seed mix i bought from the pet store sprouted nicely. maybe try a seed mix meant for pet birds?

Familyof12

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Liz
The Sprout House Amazon Six - Assorted Organic Sprouting Seeds and Seeds Mixes Sample, Pack of 6: Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food

Here is an amazon site that shows some sprouts you can purchase. I purchase from Johnnyseeds personally as I also do a lot of growing my own veggies: Johnny's Selected Seeds

Search seed sprouts. You can't buy use any kind. If they don't sprout, it's because it's dead. Dead seeds are bad.

Soak them for about 4 hours for the small ones after rinsing really really well. Then drain the water and shake the jar, bottle or whatever clear glass container. Do this every morning you get up and in the evening. The smaller seeds should start in about 2 days and the larger beans and seeds a little longer.

I have a special bag I purchased from a specialty store in Half Moon Bay (I think) and it is a straining bag, and also a bag that keeps veggies a lot longer in your fridge. Made by earthwear but I can't seem to find it easily. I purchased it a long time ago and mine is white and like cheesecloth. I found something similar but it's green.

Amazon.com: UR Kitchen Gadgets Vegetable Fruit Food Storage Bag Reusable Life Extender: Kitchen & Dining

Not sure if you care about the color but it does extend the life of your veggies and keep the sprouts in this after it begins to sprout to slow the process down to extend the life of the sprouts.

Note, you must be really really careful with sprouts. Mold/fungus gets into it easily due to the moisture. This is an instant killer for birds. So rinsing well, keeping it in a cool place with lots of light (not direct - kitchen window), and rinsing well and rinsing well. Did I forget to tell you and rinsing is a must? lol

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
Can someone please list out some recommended seed types to sprout for Finches? I would like to purchase a few different types for them, but don't know what to buy yet.
  • Broccoli
  • Millet
  • Radish
  • etc.
maybe try a seed mix meant for pet birds?
Good idea

Also, thanks Familyof12 for the tips and links. I will be picking up a few different varieties from there once I have a good list.

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Take a look at this wheel it might help abit ..it will tell you what will sprout and how long ..I buy my stuff at a bulk store :)

sprouts.jpg

Familyof12

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Liz
It really doesn't matter what you're sprouting as they sprout at different times depending on the seed. I'm current using:

Amazon.com : The Sprout House Veggie Queen Salad Mix Certified Organic Non-gmo Sprouting Seeds - Red Clover, Red Lentil, French Lentil, Daikon Radish, Fenugreek 1 Pound : Seeds For Sprouting : Grocery & Gourmet Food

and I've added Amazon.com : The Sprout House Organic Sprouting Seeds - Power Cleanser 1 Pound - Sunflower and Buckwheat : Snack Sunflower Seeds : Grocery & Gourmet Food as extra and keep it in the fridge while the sunflower seeds will begin to sprout and the seeds do sprout in the fridge and at different times too. Just continue to rinse well.

The legumes I would do separately as they are bigger and take a bit longer.

Amazon.com : Small Brown Lentils (aka. Pardina or Spanish Brown) | Non-GMO Project Verified | 100% Non-Irradiated | Certified Kosher Parve | USA Grown | Field Traced (We tell you which field we grew it in) : Dried Lentils : Grocery & Gourmet Food

It isn't the type of seed as much as it is the exact moment of the timing the seed sprouts (as long as it is on the okay to eat list). When you very first see the roots coming out of the seeds, that is when the fat in the seed turns into the fantastic protein that is excellent for birds. For a lot of birds, this would be something they eat in the wild while foraging. It is very common for parrots to find seeds that have sprouted (jungle, farms, and yards) and eat it at the perfectly right time while looking for food.

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
Ok let me refine my question. Now that we have the sprouting question answered, I am more just curious about seed types that Finches prefer. What seeds do finches go NUTS for? I want to get some different varieties that they will really enjoy.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
In my experience with my parrots, the types of seeds they prefer sprouted are much different than the ones they prefer dry. @finchly might know more!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Here I am! Sheesh can't a girl paint a little? Heehee. I went to the park with friends to paint a nocturne (painting in the dark) is what they said. What they MEANT was let's go paint the sunset. We are going to do one of those non-nocturnes monthly. It started raining at the end, causing much racing about to dismantle easels and cover paintings.

Ok. Sprouts. Here is your link The Grooviest Sprouting Seeds on Our Planet!
Broccoli, wheatgrass, and alfalfa are favorites. Everything under the 'greens' tab is a hit. Don't bother with the chia -- they love chia dry but not sprouted. Plus it swells and clogs up the strainer.

They have bird seed mixes but I don't use those because too much of it goes to waste.

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
Thanks for all the replies. Will give this another go in the next week or so. By the way, turns out the wild millet seed mix did eventually sprout. Apparently I just didn't wait long enough. In fact, the wheel above now confirms that theory. I will try to sprout it again using the proper soak time and wait period to see if I have better results.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Be sure to rinse it a LOT during the process.

The most nutrition occurs when the seeds are just chitted -- the beginning of a sprout.

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
Yes, everyone seems to say this over and over again hahaha. Seems I can't ignore the advice lol. Clearly it is VERY important. Thanks! Will do!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Oh I am sorry! Yeah I ruined the first couple of batches before I figured out to rinse 6 times a day (Florida heat?) not 3 as usually recommended. That's why I said it. We know you got the message now! :roflmao:

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
:) Thanks. I have been thinking of starting little mini pallets of wheat grass seed.... I could rotate them around so that some are growing while some are being destroyed by the varmints, uhh, finches I mean. Only thing is you have to buy a million pounds at once.

Just thought I'd throw the idea out there. Most plants are almost instantly destroyed that I put in there.