• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Spring means free chicken treats!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

Menagerie Mama

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heidi
Thank you, Zara! I’ve had them since they were day old chicks, and love them to bits. They have very distinct personalities, but all are sweet, curious girls who will solicit affection :heart2:

I’ll have to take a photo or two later when the sun is on that side of the house, so you can really see their pretty, shiny feathers and redder combs when it’s not a biting 43 degrees outside (I think it’s such a fun fact that chickens can control the blood flow to their combs and feet in order to protect them from the cold)

I am the spinster aunt of the family, and as such, have had nieces and nephews with me at times. When I was starting a new flock four years ago, an urban living niece who was neurotic about many things in nature was coming to spend that summer. I already loved the breed, but the deciding factor of going with Buff Orpingtons was my feeling that a pretty/fluffy/docile/affectionate chicken would go over best:p

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
I love your girls! :cloud9: :xflove: :heart:

SeñorBirb

Real Name
Ella
They're so cute! I didn't know that they could control their blood flow... interesting!

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
And, they are the best “garbage disposals”, turning kitchen scraps into eggs! During lockdown I was still eating scrambled, hard boiled, fried, frittata, omelette, baked goods... :cheer::cantwait::cheer:
I want a couple but we have feral cats who are fed 3 square meals daily ( not my hobby). Plus I don’t think I have time. Scraps I have a ton daily!

Gigibirds

Rollerblading along the road
I love those names!!! Rose, Violet and Poppy?!?! Cutest chickens EVER!!! I want chickens, but the coyotes would just eat them up :(

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I love the dirt run! Luckily ladies.

Congrats on your flock :cloud9:

Chickens are absolutely wonderful.

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
They look so happy :xflove:
It's opposite here, the chookies get unlimited green during autumn and winter (cause it's quite wet), everything green dies in summer.

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
And, they are the best “garbage disposals”, turning kitchen scraps into eggs! During lockdown I was still eating scrambled, hard boiled, fried, frittata, omelette, baked goods... :cheer::cantwait::cheer:
You should come here. We actually start FREEZING eggs!

Menagerie Mama

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heidi
I love the dirt run! Luckily ladies.

Congrats on your flock :cloud9:

Chickens are absolutely wonderful.
Once upon a time it was all grass in the run, now I spread pine bark nuggets a few times a year for their feet and for drainage. Their greens are thrown in by the handful, or consumed when they are out of the run for free ranging under supervision...hawks looooove the thermals over my 1/2 acre:scrstf:

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Once upon a time it was all grass in the run, now I spread pine bark nuggets a few times a year for their feet and for drainage. Their greens are thrown in by the handful, or consumed when they are out of the run for free ranging under supervision...hawks looooove the thermals over my 1/2 acre:scrstf:
It looks like fun for them! Kicking in the pine chips and taking dirt baths. It is perfect :)

Hawks are def something to be on the lookout for. My hens are on the smaller side so I understand. My hen, Starlight, also has fairly sever scoliosis which makes it more difficult for her to do some head rotation. However she generally gets on well for her condition.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea

Menagerie Mama

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heidi
It looks like fun for them! Kicking in the pine chips and taking dirt baths. It is perfect :)

Hawks are def something to be on the lookout for. My hens are on the smaller side so I understand. My hen, Starlight, also has fairly sever scoliosis which makes it more difficult for her to do some head rotation. However she generally gets on well for her condition.
They do really seem to like it...and, I love hearing them scratch around in it while I’m sitting on the deck above:swoon:

BirdWorld

My chickens are overjoyed in the spring because of the abundance of worms :D
Yours are adorable! :swoon: