• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Spring is truly here!!! Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

cgreenaway

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Claire
Well I always know when its spring since the lovies start breeding and trying to make my life slightly more complicated than usual. Lol. My bonded pair of Peach Face Lovebirds have made a nest and laid 6 eggs which are due to hatch in the next couple of weeks. :) Lilly is the mother (Dutch Blue Pied) and she had originally built her nest in a Jolly Ball and then I gave her a Parakeet nestbox and she her first egg was placed in there but the nestbox looked way too small for her and her mate Baby (Regular Green Peach Face) and then all the babies. I then gave her a Cockatiel nextbox and moved all her nesting material and her egg into it and that seemed to be alright with her. She now has 6 eggs and she guards them with her life. Lol. She is still a wonderful bird and hopefully she will be a wonderful mother as well. :) She is a first time mom since this is her first clutch ever. This is my second experience with breeding lovebirds since my other pair last year had babies and Baby is actually the baby from last year that I decided to keep. I don't breed lovebirds as a hobby or anything but they chose to on their own and I am supporting them as best I can. :) Plus there is nothing more amazing than watching the miracle of life happen right in your own home. Here are a few pictures so far. I don't like to disturb her so I have only taken a couple pics. I will try and get more as the babies begin to hatch. :)

Attachments

Jorg S.

Real Name
Jorg S
Congratulations wow six eggs that is allot :D
Will you be hand feeding them when the time comes?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Congratulations! The parents are beautiful!

Matt

KimKimWilliamson

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
SIX eggs? My Finch would only ever lay 3 at most. But your right about the miracle of life. I usually replace their eggs with fakes, but this past December I guessed we missed some cause two babies hatched right before Christmas!! It was sooo fun watching the whole experience. We just let them be Parent raised, but handled the babys daily. Now those two babes are the only ones I can touch of my FInch! :) But it was great for the kids and us to wath such a cool experience - But NEVER again! LOL

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Wow lots o eggies lol.

cgreenaway

Real Name
Claire
I know its so exciting. Lol. I don't plan on raising the babies but I will keep some formula in case Baby and Lilly don't want to raise their own babies. Lol. Last year I let my pair raise the babies and I handled them and played with them so I'm hoping to do the same this year. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.