• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sprained finch leg Help needed!!!

xxs1lverpa

Moving in
Real Name
Corie Perez
Hello. Saturday evening I noticed my zebra finch had hurt her leg. It’s been hard for her to fly and stand on her perch. Today I took her to the vet and there was no fractures in the x ray. I was given pain killers and antibiotics. They told me she sprained her leg. They did not put a splint. Should I leave it alone? This is how her leg looks. She is 6yrs old

Attachments

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Leave it alone, lower all perches or remove them. Keep a soft towel on the bottom of the cage (or a smoother fabric - one that won’t snag little nails.)

I like to provide food and water at floor level in cases like this. You can pause just a plastic lid for a feeder, so she doesn’t feel compelled to jump up on the feeder.

xxs1lverpa

Moving in
Real Name
Corie Perez
Leave it alone, lower all perches or remove them. Keep a soft towel on the bottom of the cage (or a smoother fabric - one that won’t snag little nails.)

I like to provide food and water at floor level in cases like this. You can pause just a plastic lid for a feeder, so she doesn’t feel compelled to jump up on the feeder.
Will do. Changed the towel to something where she can’t get her nails caught. She’s been isolated from her mate. Tysm

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Let us know how she gets along

xxs1lverpa

Moving in
Real Name
Corie Perez
Let us know how she gets along
She’s moving more and flying more. We still have her alone. Her leg is still out but she has some grip. We are unsure if she did break something due to finding a bump where her leg connects to her body. She’s getting stronger everyday but I’m scared she won’t use her leg ever again

Attachments