• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Spot on beak and eye

Sullivan12

Moving in
Does anyone have any idea what could be going on with my bird? He is 4 years of age and just last month I noticed a red spot on his eye that proceeded to scab over and is now just red. I’m not sure if he scratched himself or was scratched by another animal either cat or dog. Also he’s had this spot on his beak that almost looks like broken capillaries or idk. I feel his beak has been looking rough and peeling a lot. If anyone has any ideas or have seen this before I would appreciate. I’m going to include photos from when I first noticed his eye and the progression of it, along with his beak. Initially noticed the spot on his beak in March of 2023

Attachments

WillowQ

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
I’m looking at the beak and the peeling is kind of high up but still nothing unusual. Looks like a normal beak to me.

I can’t see the eye problem.

Maybe he rubbed his head on something and scratched near his eye. But if it’s ok now, I don’t think you need to worry.

Sullivan12

Moving in
Can anyone help me determine what is going on with my bird? Earlier this year I noticed a spot on his beak that almost looks like a blown capillary, and more recently his beak in my opinion has been look rough and pealing a lot. I noticed from images the spot has moved down. The spot isn’t black, it’s more dark red colored. And to add to that in March he developed this redness around his eye, I had thought maybe he got pawed by a cat or dog but I’m not sure. The spot has scabbed over and has started to look better but other days I feel it looks worse. Can anyone advise me on this or seen something familiar to this? I’m going to include photos from the time it started till now.

Attachments

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Best thing is to have him checked by an avian vet or vet who is very experienced treating birds.
Beak might need some smoothing and eye may need some treatment.
BTW, check his cage to see if there is anything rough or sharp that he may be rubbing against.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Threads merged to contain all the responses in one place.

WillowQ

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
Ok. Now I found the eye concern. It still looks pretty red to me. And then you’re talking about the spot in center of his beak adjacent to nares? I’m wondering if he hit his beak in something. I think beaks can get little spot bruises just like our fingernails do.

I agree with Iam about the eye spot—I’d have that checked out. It’s definitely still present and still red.

Sullivan12

Moving in
Ok. Now I found the eye concern. It still looks pretty red to me. And then you’re talking about the spot in center of his beak adjacent to nares? I’m wondering if he hit his beak in something. I think beaks can get little spot bruises just like our fingernails do.

I agree with Iam about the eye spot—I’d have that checked out. It’s definitely still present and still red.
Thank you for everything Willow