• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Spoiled weaning finch

Diveks

Walking the driveway
Im not sure if i should post this here but been raising this finch alone as the other babies unfortunately got thrown out of the nest and didn’t survive, while he was still in the egg I decided it was best to take him in before he hatches and gets thrown too.

He is pretty much fully imprinted on humans and love being around them. Unfortunately he is very spoiled and keeps on begging for formula. He’s already able to eat veggies, seeds, and pellets. But will not fill himself up surenough with them and his weight goes down.

I usually wean babies by using the abundance method and feed them until they stop begging. They usually decrease or stop begging at this age. This baby acts like he’s constantly starving.

he hatched on December and is even starting to grow in adult plumage now im not sure if giving him tough love would be the best choice.
AA74A1E0-80CF-4F46-B080-93C30F46FF5F.jpeg Y 534A24B6-7169-48F8-A22B-C17A889314F2.jpeg

Tara81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
I have no experience handfeeding, however, I have read an article before that says if you keep handfeeding your bird longer then usual because they beg for it and need it, it is ok and will not have any long term effects. In fact I think I read a study where parrots who took longer to wean were very independent and happy. They all eventually weqn at their own pace. The breeder I bought my cockatiel from has an Amazon she had to handfeed for almost a year before he would eat on his own. He turned out healthy and happy. However, she got attached to him and decided to keep him :D He would fly over to her while she was weaning the cockatiels and try to steal the cockatiels syringes ;D

I also read that if you stop the weaning process before the bird is ready, it can cause behavioural issues in the future. A more scared and dependent bird.

Also, I've read yeast infections may cause issues as well. If you smell anything off, it may be time for a vet.

Last edited:

Tara81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
By the way, he is such a handsome finch! What is his name?

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Ooh what a gorgeous little chap. He's so precious.

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
So cute :strhng:

FiatLux

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Isabelle (she/her)
Non medical advice: do whatever that lil’ bird wants because he is adorable. I mean absolutely adorable. And if you’re looking for names, this forum comes up with great ones.

Diveks

Walking the driveway
I have no experience handfeeding, however, I have read an article before that says if you keep handfeeding your bird longer then usual because they beg for it and need it, it is ok and will not have any long term effects. In fact I think I read a study where parrots who took longer to wean were very independent and happy. They all eventually weqn at their own pace. The breeder I bought my cockatiel from has an Amazon she had to handfeed for almost a year before he would eat on his own. He turned out healthy and happy. However, she got attached to him and decided to keep him :D He would fly over to her while she was weaning the cockatiels and try to steal the cockatiels syringes ;D

I also read that if you stop the weaning process before the bird is ready, it can cause behavioural issues in the future. A more scared and dependent bird.

Also, I've read yeast infections may cause issues as well. If you smell anything off, it may be time for a vet.
Sorry i just replied was out of town for awhile and couldn’t post as the connection was too bad, still bringing him everywhere I go. I’ll continue on feeding until he is ready then. Usually my babies find the various flavors better than formula and they wean easily. Guess this boy might need a little more time.

By the way, he is such a handsome finch! What is his name?
Was waiting for his adult feathers to come in before naming him, although it is obvious now, haven’t decided on a name just yet. Any suggestions would be wonderful!

Non medical advice: do whatever that lil’ bird wants because he is adorable. I mean absolutely adorable. And if you’re looking for names, this forum comes up with great ones.
Thank you and Yes I am.