• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Splayed Legs

Haven

Moving in
Real Name
Serra
What is the best age to start treating splayed legs? I know you should treat it ASAP, but how do you treat a baby who is only a few days old? I know that you can tape there legs together but how do you lay them down? What position should they be in if there legs are taped together at this age? I know you can put them in a cup or small bowl with bedding, but i just don't know if it is safe or not (they could flip over or something)!

I've searched everywhere on the internet and i have a general knowledge of how to do it, but all the pictures and diagrams i have seen for people who are treating is always on older birds.

I'm not new to birds, and i have a bird emergency kit so i'm sure i have everything i need to fix it. Just want to get these specifics first before i do it.

Dana Lee

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Dana

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I think the vet used this word around MC.

I thought it had something to do with how he hangs by one toe?

Yikes! Am I supposed to be doing something?

Crazy4parrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
María
Kiwi have splayed legs! And despite that i did massages, hydro therapy and used a sponge to keep her feet on the right positions... I even read that in big parrots a surgery to correct it its possible :/ but Kiwi is a lovebird... But any way she, mentally its not disabled she sometimes makes me feel like i'm looking after a 2 year old!:rofl: She break her toys... Tríes to make her sleepy hut fell down :huh: opens door of her cage (yup she is an escape artist) and very stubborn lil girl!

Kiwi is a 100% healthy, very active girl!

image.jpg She even bites me If i try to help her to get out of trouble lol. Or she gets her head inside the ring and knocks down her swing and when i go to help her she bites down and doesnt let go o.o or she starts calling out to me from the top of her cage! Whatever happens to the baby it still can have a 90% life...

Last edited:

Haven

Moving in
Real Name
Serra
Ok well i went out and got small makeup sponges that are already flat, and cut 2 holes in them. I put it on the baby and he is doing good. I don't want to leave it on him at night while i'm sleeping because i'm scared he could fall over and get stuck.