• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Splayed Legs (spraddle) Emergency!

Lovybird-L

Moving in
Real Name
Gulbahar
Hello Everybody!

My two lovebirds' 4 eggs recently hatched. Now we have 4 beautiful baby lovebirds. They are between 13 to 8 days old. Since day 1, they have been staying inside a wooden nest box with wood shavings and some nesting materials.

However, I have been noticing that the first chick (13-day-old Buttercup), the third (11-day-old Asemoon), and maybe even the second (who's 12 days old) have been spreading their legs too much. Their legs are too far apart and it looks very unnatural. I was worried that they might have splayed legs.

I am worried that even though they have a lot of wood shavings to support their legs, they keep spreading them around as they move until they're laying flat again at the bottom of the nest box (almost like creating snow angels).
Please let me know what I'm to do in case they do have it. Do I give them calcium supplements? Add more wood shavings? Place a sponge mold on their legs? Or the straw+rubber band method? If so, how?

I have attached some photos from today of the birds and their environment. I would really appreciate it if you would please tell me if my suspicion is true or not, and if you need more pics to confirm. I also have videos but I don't know how to upload them. My email in case you want videos: rughayaharary@gmail.com .

First chick:
First 2.jpeg First.jpeg
Second chick:
Second 2.jpeg
Third chick:
Third.jpeg
Fourth chick:
Fourth.jpeg
nest box: Nest.jpeg

Last edited:

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
Hi there, first of all welcome.

Secondly, it does look like the first three chicks may have splayed legs but sometimes chicks just sit that way. Take some time to observe them and see if the ever sit with their legs under themselves like #4 is doing. Also can they stand and support themselves? If not then they probably have splayed legs. The good news is that it is pretty easy to correct at this point.

You just need to choose a method and try it. See what works for you and your birds. Putting them in a hobble, as it is called, be it a sponge or rubber band or other method, will fix it. Just make sure the spacing between the legs is right and it is not too tight on their legs. You want everything in it's natural position. Make sure it doesn't get too tight as they grow and make sure the parents don't remove it or injure them. They will probably need to wear it for 7-10 days. The younger they are the quicker it can be corrected. Do it right away and they should have normal lives. Done right they should be able to stand up and walk. Very likely their mobility will be improved right away.

I personally have not had success with the sponge but my birds are bigger than lovebirds. I usually use vet wrap and cut it in thin strips and make two little anklets for them and use another piece of vet wrap to connect them. You kind of have to build the device first and then wrap the legs having already attached the connecting strip to the pieces that will form the anklets.

If you have any trouble just try again until you can get it right.

You can do it :)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Laurie gave a good answer. And like she said, sometimes when picking them up, they will spread their legs out.

Here is a thread with some links and videos;

spreading them around as they move until they're laying flat again at the bottom of the nest box (almost like creating snow angels).
If your birds can make ¨snow angels¨ and expose the bottom of the nest box, then there´s not enough bedding in there.
Tip bedding in the nest, then apply a little pressure to pack them slightly, then add more until the nest is nice and deep with shavings. Using a closed fist, press to make a dent, like a dish for the birds to sit in, near the farthest back corner from the entrance.

Which species of lovebirds are these? The nesting items in the nestbox look odd - either you have eye-ring type species of lovebirds (that don´t fix the nest) or you placed those in there?

Lovybird-L

Moving in
Real Name
Gulbahar
Hi there, first of all welcome.

Secondly, it does look like the first three chicks may have splayed legs but sometimes chicks just sit that way. Take some time to observe them and see if the ever sit with their legs under themselves like #4 is doing. Also can they stand and support themselves? If not then they probably have splayed legs. The good news is that it is pretty easy to correct at this point.

You just need to choose a method and try it. See what works for you and your birds. Putting them in a hobble, as it is called, be it a sponge or rubber band or other method, will fix it. Just make sure the spacing between the legs is right and it is not too tight on their legs. You want everything in it's natural position. Make sure it doesn't get too tight as they grow and make sure the parents don't remove it or injure them. They will probably need to wear it for 7-10 days. The younger they are the quicker it can be corrected. Do it right away and they should have normal lives. Done right they should be able to stand up and walk. Very likely their mobility will be improved right away.

I personally have not had success with the sponge but my birds are bigger than lovebirds. I usually use vet wrap and cut it in thin strips and make two little anklets for them and use another piece of vet wrap to connect them. You kind of have to build the device first and then wrap the legs having already attached the connecting strip to the pieces that will form the anklets.

If you have any trouble just try again until you can get it right.

You can do it :)
Thank you very much! Yes it does seem they can't stand up right. I will buy al the material and try to make them quickly, but for measure and much should the distance between each legg hole be?

Lovybird-L

Moving in
Real Name
Gulbahar
Laurie gave a good answer. And like she said, sometimes when picking them up, they will spread their legs out.

Here is a thread with some links and videos;

If your birds can make ¨snow angels¨ and expose the bottom of the nest box, then there´s not enough bedding in there.
Tip bedding in the nest, then apply a little pressure to pack them slightly, then add more until the nest is nice and deep with shavings. Using a closed fist, press to make a dent, like a dish for the birds to sit in, near the farthest back corner from the entrance.

Which species of lovebirds are these? The nesting items in the nestbox look odd - either you have eye-ring type species of lovebirds (that don´t fix the nest) or you placed those in there?
I will do that. Thank you so much! They're peach-faced lovebirds. Yes, I did place the extra material in their nest. Their mom made them, but she doesn't really know how to make a nest, so I just threw some in there for her to chew on while she's there.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I just threw some in there for her to chew on while she's there.
If she isn´t making the nest with them, them I wouldn´t put them in there, just stick to shavings.
Good luck fixing the splayed legs.

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
Thank you very much! Yes it does seem they can't stand up right. I will buy al the material and try to make them quickly, but for measure and much should the distance between each legg hole be?
Their feet should sit directly below their hips. Everything should be lined up rather than angled out. The exact distance will depend on the bird. You'll have to look at each bird as you make the device.

Lovybird-L

Moving in
Real Name
Gulbahar
If she isn´t making the nest with them, them I wouldn´t put them in there, just stick to shavings.
Good luck fixing the splayed legs.
Alrighty, will do!
Thank you lots:heart:

Lovybird-L

Moving in
Real Name
Gulbahar
Their feet should sit directly below their hips. Everything should be lined up rather than angled out. The exact distance will depend on the bird. You'll have to look at each bird as you make the device.
Understood. Thank you very much:heart:!