• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Splayed Legs... Cage Setup?

JBosley

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessica
Hello!
Today I adopted a baby Conure with splayed legs. The breeder didn't want her euthanized, but didn't have time to adequately care for the Conure (she has a lot of her own birds). She didn't feel right selling her/him, so she gave her/him to me!
The Conure was born March 28th, and is still on formula. The breeder taught me how to feed her/him, and everything is going smoothly so far! On the way home I had some seeds in the cage, and I did see the Conure eat one, so hopefully we can wean off the formula.
Little Mango, as I have named her/him, has one really splayed leg! Apparently both were bad, but she tied them together. One of the legs has straightened, the other hasn't. Luckily Mango has full use of the toes on the bad leg!
Any ideas on cage setup? I haven't done anything perch wise for Mango yet. Ideas and photos would be amazing! Mango goes to the vet Monday to see about trying to tie the legs again.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Please see a avian vet. Until then platform perches that have been wrapped with vet wrap, keep all food n water dishes low. The leg almost looks like it waa broken at some time.

JBosley

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessica
Please see a avian vet. Until then platform perches that have been wrapped with vet wrap, keep all food n water dishes low. The leg almost looks like it waa broken at some time.
We are going to the vet tomorrow! I am looking into some platform perches today, great idea with the vet wrap. Currently she is handfed, so no food dish, and her water dish is shallow on the bottom of the cage.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Vet wrap will help the little one to be more stable on perch. Also you can wrap double sided fleece under the vet wrap them more comfy.

Last edited: