• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Splayed Leg?

Caroline__

Moving in
Real Name
Caroline
I hope this was the right spot to post in. I noticed a splayed leg budgie up in Kijiji in my area. I've got an extra cage (Might not be the best cage for a splayed leg but could work until I could get the best one possible for the baby) and the time. I stay at home all day. I have a Lovebird and Cockatiel. I've never had experience with disabled birds though. I'm trying my best to do all my research here. But I would like this baby to go to a loving home that could help them. I think that might be me (Now If only I could convince my mother)

First off is this to severe of a case? Or is it able to live a good quality life if it gets the help it needs?
$_59.jpg
$_59 (1).jpg
I don't want to have it suffer while trying to fix the legs if its not fixable.

I'm unsure about the age but I have reached out to the person posting the ad. Waiting to hear back.

If it's able to live a good quality of life I would love some tips! Like what is best for enrichment and what type of things I will need as I assume just some regular things a non disabled bird uses wont work.

My mother is worried about it being sick and getting our birds sick. I'm already planning to get them vet checked ASAP and quarantined from my other birds until I get the OK from a vet.

Do you have birds with splayed legs or similar disabilities? If so would you be willing to share their stories here to help my mother understand that this bird could possibly live a good life. And that it's not totally cruel to keep them alive as they will find new ways to adapt to life? (Again if the splayed legs above are fixable or able to be helped just enough to live a good life that is)

Olliebirb

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Julia A
My budgie Oliver had a mild splayed leg that got fixed my a brace that held the legs in place. The breeder I got him from sent me a picture of the splint. It seemed to be two small rubber bands loosely fitted around his feet to help keep them in the right place. Hopefully someone else on this thread can answer who is more qualified to help you and this budgies.

He is still on the young side which means that he is still growing and it is not too late to help!

Reactions: Ali

Olliebirb

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Julia A
Here's an article that you should definitely read, it may help.

Reactions: Ali

Caroline__

Moving in
Real Name
Caroline
Here's an article that you should definitely read, it may help.
Thank you! I will for sure read that! If I do end up getting this baby I just hope my vet is around (I have 1 avian vet that splits his time between 3 different vet offices. Next one is 5 hours away. I do have a breeder which I got my cockatiel from and if I remember correctly she was treating a bird with a splayed leg. I might just go to her if worse comes to worse!)

Olliebirb

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Julia A
Thank you! I will for sure read that! If I do end up getting this baby I just hope my vet is around (I have 1 avian vet that splits his time between 3 different vet offices. Next one is 5 hours away. I do have a breeder which I got my cockatiel from and if I remember correctly she was treating a bird with a splayed leg. I might just go to her if worse comes to worse!)
Great idea, I hope you can get this baby and give it a good life. Definitely consult the breeder if you can't get in touch with the vet

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
@iamwhoiam has a special needs bird who has mobility problems and is living a nice long life :)