• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Splayed leg lorikeet

Status
Not open for further replies.

tammie

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Tammie
I need some info. on a situation. I had a person contact me yesterday that has a splayed leg lorikeet, both legs are splayed. The bird is 3 weeks old tomorrow and still in the nestbox. She wants someone to take the bird and feed it and work with the legs, as she doesn't have the time to do it.
First of all, is there a chance the legs will straighted out correctly at this age? I know most people start working with splayed legs at 10 days - 2 weeks old.
I don't really want to take it, I know I'll get attached after looking after it and it would be terrible if something happened to it. Then again if I don't take it, there is no telling what will happen to it.
Does anyone have any advice or comments on this?

Thanks!

tammie

Real Name
Tammie
Thanks for the link. But do you think at 3 weeks it is possible for it to help? I know it will probably take longer.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Yes I do. Several people here have used this method when the chicks were a little older and it did help.

Ginger

allison

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
Are you close to True Love Aviary? I wonder if Rodney and Tamara could finish hand feeding and find it a good home?

Quest

Real Name
Judy
Let us know what you decide, poor baby.
He deserves a chance.

tammie

Real Name
Tammie
It snowed here today and I contacted the owner about 2:00 and told her I could come out then to get the baby; thankfully someone else had just gotten it. She said they had experience with handfeeding and with splayed legs. I hope she was right. Please say a prayer that this little baby will be in good hands and will make it.

allison

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
It snowed here today and I contacted the owner about 2:00 and told her I could come out then to get the baby; thankfully someone else had just gotten it. She said they had experience with handfeeding and with splayed legs. I hope she was right. Please say a prayer that this little baby will be in good hands and will make it.
I'll be thinking of her. Hopefully they will be able to correct the leg.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I hope the baby will heal.

Sharpie

Avenue Veteran
At this age, they might not get 100% recovery of the splayed legs, but they can certainly still do a lot of good and give the baby a decent range of motion and help it out so that it can lead a normal life.

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Glad it found a home.

Status
Not open for further replies.