• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Splayed Leg Dove

jaedwardss

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Justice
Hi all! My name is Justice and i am new to forums so please bare with me.
I am going tomorrow to pick up a ringneck dove who has a splayed leg. She is about 2 months old and someone in my town dumped her at a local shelter. I have cared for ringneck doves, have 3 currently, however, I have never had a bird with a splayed leg. The shelter informed me that if no one took her they would euthanize her because they can't care for her and there aren't any bird sanctuaries in my area. I'm asking for help on what her set up should be. She can walk a little bit but not a lot so obviously we know we will need low bowls for her to eat and drink out of. We plan to get her into a vet within the next month. Any advice is appreciated!

Attachments

Ulis_Beast

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Doroteja Lenassi
Welcome to Aa!
:starshower: :starshower: :starshower:

Thankyou sooo much for preventing an unnecesary death :heart:
The RD is beautiful! Does it have a name yet?

I personally have no expirince with splayed legs.. but some pretty useful information can be found here.
Maybe she can still be helped?
On splayed legs.
I would try to get a vet appointment as soon as possible.
If I remember correctly @Birdbabe had a fluff with splayed legs?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue Justice! :starshower1:

Your bird is a beauty, and very lucky you are taking her home :)

@iamwhoiam @enigma731

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Welcome!

Awe thank you for giving this little one a chance. It is shameful that someone dumped her. My finch Zippy had a similar experience. He had a bad wing and was dumped outside of a vet clinic. Thank goodness they were kind enough to at least take him to a clinic. Then he went to the RSPCA from there. He has now lived with me for over a year.

I hope someone can give you advice for dove care with splay legs. I do not have experience with an adult bird having it. At the very least ensure that she has access to food and water.

You may enjoy reading Sugar's Story. Sugar's Story -

Your bird is already older and therapy like Sugar's may not be an option. Though I think it is an inspiring story. :)

jaedwardss

Real Name
Justice
Just to give everyone an update!
We brought her home and it looks like she has an even bigger problem than the splay leg. There's a bone poking out near her butt and we are going to get her checked out asap. Unfortunately, the local avian vet didn't have anything sooner than the 20th so she will be going on the 20th. Her whole actual food is backwards, her leg isn't. She has been so good though. She does have occasional freakouts which I understand since she can't walk. She can fly incredibly well! She's very sweet!
Will update you guys!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I´m thankfull she is a good flyer! I hope all goes well at the vets :hug9:

jaedwardss

Real Name
Justice
Oh god this is just so horrible!
If her bone really is sticking out (from the skin?), she needs to se a vet asap. An emergency vet even., it is very likely very painful. :(

Foot?
i meant to say foot! Auto correct.

jaedwardss

Real Name
Justice
Update number 2!!!
We talked to a vet regarding her bone around her butt that kinda sticks out and they told us as long as it stays under her skin she should be ok until she can be seen.