• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Splayed Leg Baby Lovebird

AngelLove

Moving in
Real Name
ANGELA
Hi, I have a baby lovebird. It's about 3.5 weeks old almost 4 weeks I think. Yesterday was its first day out of it's nesting box. I think it was trying to escape its mothers over zealous preening, as she was bloody that morning. I noticed him or her at the bottom of the cage and took it out, noticing that it had one splayed leg.

I started hand feeding it yesterday and today took it to the vet. The vet after examining her wants to wait 7 days before he does anything. I was a bit surprised that the vet wouldn't do anything today. He said no, he wanted her to be handfed for the next 7 days and for me to give her vitamins that he gave me for her during these 7 days. After 7 days he wants me to bring her back to see him.

I was just wondering why he would want to wait if it's better to fix early. He did examine her fully and even felt her legs and joints as well.

AngelLove

Moving in
Real Name
ANGELA
These are some pictures that I took of her today. 20200208_161836.jpg 20200208_161832.jpg 20200208_161831.jpg 20200208_161817.jpg 20200208_161815.jpg 20200208_150907.jpg 20200208_162326.jpg
20200208_161836.jpg

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Your vet may have felt that the baby needed to gain more strength and weight before going through more hassle.

AngelLove

Moving in
Real Name
ANGELA
Hi, I have a baby lovebird. It's about 3.5 weeks old almost 4 weeks I think. Yesterday was its first day out of it's nesting box. I think it was trying to escape its mothers over zealous preening, as she was bloody that morning. I noticed him or her at the bottom of the cage and took it out, noticing that it had one splayed leg.

I started hand feeding it yesterday and today took it to the vet. The vet after examining her wants to wait 7 days before he does anything. I was a bit surprised that the vet wouldn't do anything today. He said no, he wanted her to be handfed for the next 7 days and for me to give her vitamins that he gave me for her during these 7 days. After 7 days he wants me to bring her back to see him.

I was just wondering why he would want to wait if it's better to fix early. He did examine her fully and even felt her legs and joints as well.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Poor little one, Mum has plucked him bare :(
It is good to have a little peep in the nestbox every day even when the chicks are parent raised, just to be sure all is well.
Be careful keeping the chick in an open box as I see the flights are growing nicely and you won´t want him/her escaping. You can put the box inside a spare cage for their own safety when you are not around.

I really hope your vet can fix the splayed legs
Welcome to the Avenue :)

AngelLove

Moving in
Real Name
ANGELA
Yes, i put her or him into a small cage with the bedding and towels to keep her warm. I think the plucking from mom was all in one day and that was the same day I took her out. The next time I will check much more often. Mom is on the agressive side, likes to bite and bite hard. Dad is very sciddish. Mom and dad were fighting today after I had removed the baby last night. I have another pair in another cage and their temperment is completely different. All were raised together but my other pare and their offspring are much more affectionate.

I'm hoping that this little one will get strong and that its leg will be able to be fixed and that it will grow up affectionate like the other 2 pairs.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
You might want to separate the male for a couple of days until your hen calms down. If you have another cage, put him in there next to her cage.

This little one is at a good age to start interacting with humans and building a relationship with you :)

AngelLove

Moving in
Real Name
ANGELA
Unfortunately I don't have another cage. I put the baby in a small cage and i do not think the male in my other cage will like him. She seems okay now. She goes through her moods. She's been aggressive for a long time.

Yes the baby is bonding nicely.

AngelLove

Moving in
Real Name
ANGELA
Poor little one, Mum has plucked him bare :(
It is good to have a little peep in the nestbox every day even when the chicks are parent raised, just to be sure all is well.
Be careful keeping the chick in an open box as I see the flights are growing nicely and you won´t want him/her escaping. You can put the box inside a spare cage for their own safety when you are not around.

I really hope your vet can fix the splayed legs
Welcome to the Avenue :)
He's growing in more little feathers and fuss today.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
He's growing in more little feathers and fuss today.
It should all grow back hopefully :)
Recently @Beasley had a little one that was plucked by it´s mother and she also removed the chick from the nest: Introducing Ducky You can see in the pictures the fuzz grew in fairly quick.