• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures splayed leg alexandrine :(

emieemonck

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
emma monck
Hello everyone,Im very new to this forum. . I have a very loving 12 month alexandrine,unfortunately he has a spray leg, I come from a small town where the vet is mainly used to dogs cats and farm animals so I took my baby at 4 months on a very expensive vet trip..when I brought himhome i did everything the vet told me to but unfortunately at this stage baby would chew through all apparatuses I had to put on his legs, the vet said all joints were in place which was a releif but 12 months baby still has a spray leg, he can manage with it,can still climb and be naughty but im not a bird so so who am I to say he's not in pain and I I can't afford a vet trio right now everyone is telling me lost cause which is very upseting...does anybody know if there is anything I can do ?
would be greatly appreciated xo

Hrtofau2

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Summer
I know that there are others who can pipe in here, but there is no reason why with dedication that your Alexandrine can not live a nice long, healthy life. Yes, he will need modifications for his cage/perches but there is no reason he can not get along just fine with a bit of extra thought on your part. =) There are several people here who own splay legged babies, I am sure they will chime in. :heart:

emieemonck

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
emma monck
Thank you :) he is rarley in his cage,he likes to be by my side as as often as as possible hr can still perch he just always has one leg elevated,maybe if I got him something to lean on he would be happier, great releif to know im not the only one,im willing to do whatever aslong as hes comfortable and not in pain :smuggrin:

Hrtofau2

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Summer
Thank you :) he is rarley in his cage,he likes to be by my side as as often as as possible hr can still perch he just always has one leg elevated,maybe if I got him something to lean on he would be happier, great releif to know im not the only one,im willing to do whatever aslong as hes comfortable and not in pain :smuggrin:

At one time, I had a splayed legged Quaker Parrot. Quazi was his name. He never knew he was disabled. He played, ate and lived as if he wasnt. I had minor accommodations, such as flat perches, kept his cage wider then tall, always had soft flat surfaces for him to lay on should he become tired. Quazi was taken from me early, but not because of his disability. Little bird, big heart. I tend to find the ones that are not 'perfect' by peoples standards tend to have even bigger hearts and personalities.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
He can lead a long and happy life even with his handicap!!

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
This is Loofa, my splay legged Quaker. When she standing on a surface that she can grip with both feet she will, but otherwise she stands with one leg (her right one I believe) up in the air.

P1000527.jpg Photo by cariocagb1 | Photobucket

I adopted her from another member who did have her legs in a sponge stock which kept her legs closer together when she was much younger. Loofa is now 4 years old and has no real problems getting around other than her feet are farther apart than a regular Quakers. She does live in a ferret habitat which has several platforms and she and her cage mate, Miss Daisy, sleep in one of those straw rodent habitat tubes closed at one end.

I know your little one might look add but believe me, he didn't get the memo saying he was handicapped and couldn't do things the way other birds do. And, as far as he's concerned he can do anything any other bird can even if it looks a little different. They adapt and they aren't in any pain.

Welcome to AA!

Birdy_in_VT

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kurt
Here is a picture of our Basil. He is just as capable as any in our flock. As suggested, he has flat perches made of 1x3 poplar boards with stainless steel washers and screws.

Marlene

Welcome to the neighborhood!
Real Name
Marlene
I don't have any advice, just wanted to wish you and your baby lots of luck and give you some :hug8: :hug8: