• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

SPLAYED LEG ADULT BUDGIE

KellDar

Checking out the neighborhood
I recently acquired an adult budgie with severely splayed legs. I have purchased a separate cage for him so he will not be tormented or mistreated by my existing budgies. There isn't really anything that can be done about his legs at this point without expensive, risky surgery at a vet that is over 100 miles from where I live. I'm looking for suggestions or ideas of what I can put on the bottom of his cage so that he doesn't get caught in the grates, can get some traction on, and would be a little easier on his lower belly. His legs are completely splayed out to each side and I don't want him to end up with sores or his feathers to be rubbed off. He is able to climb up the side of the cage using his beak and legs, so I am putting platform perches (as he is unable to perch on regular rounded ones) all over it for him, but he spends most of his time on the bottom. I would love to find something or possibly make something that would be reusable / washable.
Any and all advice or ideas would be greatly appreciated. I love my little handicapped Buddy!

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Have a look at this section of the forum - lots of ideas for adapting a cage for disabled birds: Special Needs Crossing

Thank you for taking in this little one!