• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Spiders

keikoasmom

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Linda
Last fall, as usual, we had spiders who wanted to move indoors. Initially, I didn't worry, all I saw was
a few Wolf spiders. They don't usually bite, and there were only a couple.
A month ago, I was a bit freaked out (is it instinctive?) and asked my environmental scientist son to
look at the webs under one of the cage stands that I can't get down to. I saw some odd webs. He said it
was only a white, harmless spider.....
But the webs looks suspiciously like Black Widow webs to me.
Then I saw similar webs in my office and one bathroom. Of course, they are where I cant get to them.
I have a bad knee (surgery next week) and at the same time, am afraid to spray due to toxicity.
I have used diluted melaleuca (tea tree oil) to keep the little creeps out of my bedroom, but I do
worry about the birds.
Is there a bug spray that doesn't leave a residue? My birds don't get down on the floor....
well, almost never. Not back where the web is....

I have a macaw who walks between the rooms, but never went under that cage.

Any ideas?

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Black widow webs are very " sticky" if your familiar with them, you'll know...when you touch it..they usually come out at night, and your best hunting them with a flashlight, and a good thing to squash them with! They are fast! You need to be faster,,Have your son help you, also look for egg sacks, a small " cottony " white or beige thing.. dont spray,,,hunt,,, hope you don't have widows!..

Mavet

Moving in
Spider researcher here! Can you post some photos of the webs, or better yet the spiders, so I can help you ID them?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Spider researcher here! Can you post some photos of the webs, or better yet the spiders, so I can help you ID them?
Ohhhh can I send you a pic of a spider a little later today to see what you think it might be?

keikoasmom

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Linda
Not Black Widows, my son was right. He's a bit of an etymologist himself.
But same type of body, but brown and the back part was tannish with stripes maybe.
Very small, so a bit hard to make out. I caught it, and texted son Marc, asking if I
should kill it. His phone wasn't working that weekend, so I went ahead and killed it.
But did I say that these spiders have killed the nasty carpet beetles I have?
They are so annoying, and I think they came in on peanuts or bird seed. I've been hunting
those little ba$***ds or over a year and tried killing them with diatomaceous earth and tea tree oil....
but not much success until the spiders moved in.

keikoasmom

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Linda
I'm sorry, after my surgery, I couldn't get into this room easily, my small office, and haven't seen those webs after I
sprayed with Tea Tree Oil (very, very diluted:a few drops to a liter of water) when the birds were not in the room, and
my birds never go on the floor, where I sprayed.