• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Spider issues!

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
These ones are tiny cuties. 1.5 - 2cm along the body at the most.... the ones that are as big as my hand (I do have a small hand but we regularly see these spiders at around 5cm long- maybe even bigger) are the ones I worry about because they can jump quite high and far and seriously move faster than anything I can think of. They’ve bitten my dog a number of times but she won’t learn to leave them alone lol. It’s always hilarious when city folk visit and see one.... I always ask them to stomp on them for me :rofl: ...... to date not one person has managed! They try three or four times to stomp on them before freaking out at how far these things get before you’ve even realised they moved. They get big enough to feel like you’re squishing a mouse underfoot if you do manage to get them.
They usually live in the lawn in a little tunnel but for some reason they are all moving into my pond??
I won't come visit you :rnfrt: I cancelled my trip.....lol....!!!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
This is a little smaller than the average size wolf spider I find here and at my last house..... I caught this one to relocate to the big wood pile behind my yard. The cup it is under is 80mm across.
127F5CCC-4360-405E-B552-B7F4B1E75A0B.png

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
When we stayed Clearwater beach FL, in '09, we stayed in luxury rental home on Bayside Dr. Gorgeous house with a dock out into the bay. Under the dock there was bright fish light that came on at dusk. It was one of my favorite places to sit at night. All sorts of fish came to that light, I saw a huge what I believe was grouper, sea bass, sea horses, sea sunfish and one night a dolphin.
Getting to that dock was pain though, there was no lighting beyond to pool. So you were in dark and I walked into massive spider web at night. It's deep water bay and I'm not good swimmer. I stood still, until I got all webbies off my face and arms. A huge banana spider ran off the dock into water. A big fish came up from darkness grabbed that spider and spit it back out. Must have tasted terrible.
The second to last night we were there; I was sitting out on the bench seat watching the water and fish. My brother walked down to seeing what I was watching. Right in front him there was snake on dock, not huge just little half footer, it slithered along to end of the dock and dove in. A Copperhead we watched it as the big fish went after it but they seemed to know to leave it be.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I was washing dishes and my mind wandered off to fish... and your spider problem. I thought about the arrow fish and wondered where they originate from and found this link. I was thinking... hmmm... she needs a fish to add to her pond that would be friendly to the goldies but hunters to reduce your spider problem.. these might be the answer!

Most species live in fresh water rivers, streams and pools, but two or three are euryhaline, inhabiting both fresh and brackish water habitats such as estuaries and mangroves. They can be found from India and Sri Lanka, through Southeast Asia, to Northern Australia and Melanesia.
Archerfish - Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org › wiki › Archerfish

Image result for Archer fish
More images

Archerfish
Fish
Description
The archerfish form a monotypic family, Toxotidae, of fish known for their habit of preying on land-based insects and other small animals by shooting them down with water droplets from their specialized mouths. The family is small, consisting of ten species in a single genus Toxotes. Wikipedia

Scientific name: Toxotes
Kingdom: Animalia
Phylum: Chordata
Order: Perch-like fishes
Higher classification: Toxotidae