• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Spider issues!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I have seen lots of fishing spiders here in Ontario. I wish they would fill the minnow buckets up when we are up north but no they eat the minnows.

We do have these though and bites can be real nasty.

I have actually heard and read a bit about them and also the brown recluse spider. They really are fascinating critters.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Spider bite doesn’t sound nice at all but I hope you can give your surgeon a new fun story to stir you with. I’m sure the snake one will override that spider one!

Lol. My mum is terrified now she’s found out that both our neighbours found brown snakes in their yards in the same week and one of them watched the snake go to their yard from ours. Lmao. It’s pretty obvious they would be here but she never thought anything about it till the neighbours bragged about killing the snakes. That actually upsets me as they could have been chased off into the paddock behind our homes instead if being killed but some people would rather get rid of them and pretend they are now safe as opposed to just being smart and making lots of noise while in the garden. Bang the back of a shovel on the ground a heap of times and the snakes flee.
ooo... brown snakes.... those are bad news. If I remember correctly, they are highly poisonous?

Yep... I think he'll love the snake story. I will never be happy about killing a snake. In the moment it's a pretty scary thing. It was between the bottom of the door and the metal plate on the brick so it was literally right there if I hadn't seen it I would have stepped on it going out the door. My quick reaction was to close the door to keep it from crawling in. Unfortunately, the head and a couple inches made it inside when I slammed the door. Now I have one angry and in pain venomous snake looking at me, mouth gaping to bite staring at me. I can't repeat my mutterings... but basically... Now what do I do with this snake? And why does this crazy stuff always happen to me and not the hubby!!!!

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Yes brown snakes are very poisonous! Beautiful snakes though!!!
This crazy stuff happens to you instead of your hubby because you tell the story so much better than he could! :roflmao:

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
ooo... brown snakes.... those are bad news. If I remember correctly, they are highly poisonous?

Yep... I think he'll love the snake story. I will never be happy about killing a snake. In the moment it's a pretty scary thing. It was between the bottom of the door and the metal plate on the brick so it was literally right there if I hadn't seen it I would have stepped on it going out the door. My quick reaction was to close the door to keep it from crawling in. Unfortunately, the head and a couple inches made it inside when I slammed the door. Now I have one angry and in pain venomous snake looking at me, mouth gaping to bite staring at me. I can't repeat my mutterings... but basically... Now what do I do with this snake? And why does this crazy stuff always happen to me and not the hubby!!!!
Brown snake? Is it a copper head?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I know that it can interfere with your view, but have considered using a koi pond protective net? At least in the US several companies make them. Also, there are many videos on YouTube about using them.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I know that it can interfere with your view, but have considered using a koi pond protective net? At least in the US several companies make them. Also, there are many videos on YouTube about using them.
I have some wire covering the top to stop the birds from stealing my fish but I’m not sure there is anything I could do to stop the spiders :(
Thankfully my fish are all a decent size so hopefully the size of the spider in there at the moment will not be big enough to be a problem to them, when I had some smaller ones we did loose a few that kinda looked like they’d been dead and decaying for days but it was less than 12 hours since I’d seen them swimming just fine so I think early in I may have lost a few of the smaller ones to spiders but I am not certain.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I have some wire covering the top to stop the birds from stealing my fish but I’m not sure there is anything I could do to stop the spiders :(
Thankfully my fish are all a decent size so hopefully the size of the spider in there at the moment will not be big enough to be a problem to them, when I had some smaller ones we did loose a few that kinda looked like they’d been dead and decaying for days but it was less than 12 hours since I’d seen them swimming just fine so I think early in I may have lost a few of the smaller ones to spiders but I am not certain.
At least here they make them with 1cm sized holes. I was unsure if they are large enough to kill your fish, if that may work. Even if you could just use it for a while to make them leave to find a steady source of food.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Brown snake? Is it a copper head?
The brown snake is in Australia. The snake I encountered wedged under my outside garage door was a copperhead I almost stepped on.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I'm thinking a beheading is in store for that guy.
Correctamundo.... exactly why I keep a sharp hoe just inside the door. One time there was a large copperhead just a couple feet right outside the door. All I had handy was a golf umbrella. Surprisingly it held up well. Copperheads were too frequent here for a few years and now we may only come across a couple. I don't mind or bother any other snake, especially black snakes or racers since other snakes are on it's diet. I just can't wonder where the venomous ones go or take a chance on me or my dogs getting bitten by one. How many times have I almost stepped on one? Too many.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Yes brown snakes are very poisonous! Beautiful snakes though!!!
This crazy stuff happens to you instead of your hubby because you tell the story so much better than he could! :roflmao:
No... it happens to me because he's happily snoozing and I'm the one the dogs come to for going outside for a late pee. :cautious:

There's a show called "Right this Minute" that has five hosts who gather various videos to show and talk about. It was either last night or the night before they had a video of a guy in Australia that was bitten by an eastern brown snake.
Here's the link to that video.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
There’s more in there today! I got some pics but these ones are absolutely tiny in comparison to all the others I’ve removed from there.
A5FA7A58-72C8-4E88-9C78-E0F735BC201A.jpeg AF0AFA73-7EE0-4654-8061-AE9B35431780.jpeg 05F2A1BE-0ED9-430E-BFFB-B1ECA5638B2E.jpeg 3280BCB2-6C8D-4EF3-8FE6-432A36FEF878.jpeg
@Mizzely, what do you think??

The one underwater is exactly the same as the one out of the water but looks different due to being submerged. He ran away from my phone as he didn’t want a close up! Lol.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I think these two are the clearest pics.

124D0332-95B8-460D-BC5C-7AB65BE158F2.jpeg 33396F35-54BB-4215-890F-395D43864F45.jpeg

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
It definitely looks like a wolf spider!! I wonder if they can be under water like that!

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
It definitely looks like a wolf spider!! I wonder if they can be under water like that!
This is why I’m so darn curious. They will stay under the water for hours (even overnight I believe) and once I get them out of the pond they move exactly the same as wolf spiders- jumping and extremely fast unlike most other spiders. To me they look more like wolf spiders than any of the known fish eating ones. I think I will call the museum on Monday and see if they can offer any input.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
I think these two are the clearest pics.

View attachment 324757 View attachment 324758
You just did it in for me!! I practically live in water. Well used to...Scuba diving is one of my hobbies. My wife says I must of been a fish in a previous life. Ha ha ha..I'm never going in the water again if there is an invasion of the 8 legged fish eaters !!.
Fear of spiders I never used to have until I was bitten by a brown recluse. The nerves in my arm haven't been quite the same since. Was a wake up call that those little suckers mean business and are no joke. My whole left arm turned purple!!

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
This is why I’m so darn curious. They will stay under the water for hours (even overnight I believe) and once I get them out of the pond they move exactly the same as wolf spiders- jumping and extremely fast unlike most other spiders. To me they look more like wolf spiders than any of the known fish eating ones. I think I will call the museum on Monday and see if they can offer any input.
Ohhh Loardy lordy!! I can see it now, me scuba diving and one of those spiders swims up to my mask under water and goes
" Heeeeeelllllloooooooooooooooooooo" in a bubbly voice!! That's when I learn to poop myself under water!

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
You just did it in for me!! I practically live in water. Well used to...Scuba diving is one of my hobbies. My wife says I must of been a fish in a previous life. Ha ha ha..I'm never going in the water again if there is an invasion of the 8 legged fish eaters !!.
Fear of spiders I never used to have until I was bitten by a brown recluse. The nerves in my arm haven't been quite the same since. Was a wake up call that those little suckers mean business and are no joke. My whole left arm turned purple!!
These ones are tiny cuties. 1.5 - 2cm along the body at the most.... the ones that are as big as my hand (I do have a small hand but we regularly see these spiders at around 5cm long- maybe even bigger) are the ones I worry about because they can jump quite high and far and seriously move faster than anything I can think of. They’ve bitten my dog a number of times but she won’t learn to leave them alone lol. It’s always hilarious when city folk visit and see one.... I always ask them to stomp on them for me :rofl: ...... to date not one person has managed! They try three or four times to stomp on them before freaking out at how far these things get before you’ve even realised they moved. They get big enough to feel like you’re squishing a mouse underfoot if you do manage to get them.
They usually live in the lawn in a little tunnel but for some reason they are all moving into my pond??

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
@Hawk12237 land down under brown snake
Our little copperheads
Copper head I'm familiar with, but the brown snake I'm not. Nice looking snake. I remember when I was younger my brother and I found the huge black racer by the barn. It had a full grown rabbit it was eating. We caught it and brought it up to house.
My parents just bought this fridge, so we had the box the fridge came in to put it in and cover the top.
My dad called the DNR and told them they had to see this snake. Possibly a black racer nearly 80 inches long.
The DNR laughed at my dad on phone saying " they don't get that big" … My dad says...well this one did, and if you don't believe me I'll buy the beer.
So the DNR shows up takes the top off the box.. which is nearly 5 1/2 feet high, and peaked over the box...the snake snap up and nearly got his face. The DNR dude back away , eyes as big as bowling balls, and said " Holy -----" … calls one of his DNR
buddies he shows up, take a peak...same response... holy mackeral…!! They called Binder park Zoo out side of batter creek.
They show up with crew to hold and measure snake...Just shy of 82 inches. The DNR and the Zoo said it was an old snake
and they typically do get much over 50-60 inches...this one was huge!! Jet black...