• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Spicy Veggie Chop yesterday

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
The day before yesterday I washed kale and parsley, let it sit to dry and put it in my little food processor and chopped it super fine. Separately I chopped a few small sweet peppers, a four serrano peppers, four jalapeno peppers, carrot, papaya and an apple to make it sweet hot and more palatable. I ran out of time to add more ingredients so I gave a side serving of this to Lola and Henry. Lola didn't touch hers but Henry did as it was all mixed in with the other food. I'll add some cooked quinoa and more carrot and hope they'll like it better.

Yesterday I chopped carrot finely in the processor and cooked it for six minutes covered in the microwave, then chopped several orange small sweet peppers with a whole bag of snow pea pods, peeled a large finger of fresh ginger root and blended the peppers, pea pods all together.... added a good teaspoon of cayenne pepper and mixed all ingredients together with 3 cups of multi-color cooked quinoa. It's a wet mix because of the peppers so I cooked more quinoa tonight to freeze separately and mix with this prior to serving since I already froze the spicy veggie chop. They loved and ate a good tablespoon each of the spicy chop last night including some of their regular cooked grains. ( Bob didn't touch his). It has a good taste but between the cayenne and ginger... it is spicy!

The mix in the bowl... and how I freeze it flat so it's easier to break pieces off because it freezes hard!

Pepper:Quinoa1.JPG

Pepper:Quinoa2.JPG

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Wow! That looks awesome! Good job Andrea!!!

Hjarta5

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
Looks good! :)

Ive never thought to cook the carrots beforehand. Is that for the nutrients? sweetness?

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Looks good! :)

Ive never thought to cook the carrots beforehand. Is that for the nutrients? sweetness?
I cooked the carrots to make them easier to eat because they are soft. I always taste the raw carrot before I use it to see how sweet it is. These were organic carrots, not terribly sweet but good. It does give them more nutrients eating the entire carrot along with good fiber. For sweetness I usually add finely chopped apple but I didn't in this chop. The extra quinoa I cooked last night... 4 cups water.. 2 cups quinoa.... a teaspoon of organic tumeric and Nutiva red palm oil. It's hard for me to get my birds to eat anything with the RPO and this disguised it perfectly. I mixed some of the new quinoa with the spicy chop and they gobbled it up. I know I can always improve chops by adding more ingredients but in a pinch with what I have on hand it's a healthy extra food for them. Parsnips would be a good addition to this chop and could be cooked like the carrots as well.