• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Spices for the birds

redindiaink

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Are you saying that they used cassia instead of cinnamon or vice versa?
I'm saying it's more likely they use cassia cinnamon (it's a lot cheaper and more readily available) over Ceylon cinnamon. I've never seen Ceylon cinnamon sold at the desi markets here. As for ill effects? Coumarin acts as a blood thinner and impedes vitamin k in the liver and has cause anemia in chickens.

Chris1234

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chris
As someone who is into herbal medicine, this is fascinating. I’m curious about the dandelion leaf? I know very little yet about parrots as I’m new and learning but I thought copper was unsafe for parrots? No? Or maybe the trace amounts are so small it’s ok?
I love learning about his stuff too! I actually have a book dedicated just to parrot-safe herbs and spices that I reference often. The roots, leaves and flowers of the dandelion are all safe to feed. It's like most things, in that it should be fed in moderation and part of a diverse diet. Younger leaves are more tender and less bitter. There are lots of great nutrients in them (including Vit A, Calcium, Magnesium and B vitamins) and it's a great immune booster.

FiatLux

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Isabelle (she/her)
I love learning about his stuff too! I actually have a book dedicated just to parrot-safe herbs and spices that I reference often. The roots, leaves and flowers of the dandelion are all safe to feed. It's like most things, in that it should be fed in moderation and part of a diverse diet. Younger leaves are more tender and less bitter. There are lots of great nutrients in them (including Vit A, Calcium, Magnesium and B vitamins) and it's a great immune booster.
Oooh whats the name of the book? Sounds really interesting