• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Spices for the birds

crazy4fids

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Linda
Does anybody offer their birdies fresh spices? Like whole peppercorns, anise (they look like stars) cloves, and coriander? I did a quick online search and didn't find anything specific for spices.

Katy

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
I don't, but all of the mashie kind of mixes seem to have at least cinnamon. I guess I would always consider what is native to the parrots home ground. It always cracks me up when I see coos coos in a S. American blend and so on.

Chantilly Lace

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Chantel
I give cinnamon, ginger powder, cayenne, and the herb salad blend to my birds. I did find this, although I have heard not to give them garlic so I am not sure about that one!

•ALOE VERA: If you have a bird that is plucking or chewing its feathers adding liquid aloe to the water in your spray bottle baths is a great and less stressful way to curb the problem. The aloe has a bitter taste that will stop most birds from chewing or plucking themselves. (Of course some plucking and chewing problems aren’t this simple to stop). Aloe Vera has an added bonus in that it moisturizes the skin making reducing skin itch and irritability.

•CAYENNE: This is an overall digestive aid containing Vitamins A, C, B-complex, calcium, phosphorous and iron. It is also an anti-inflammatory and helps arthritic conditions. Parrots love the fiery taste of cayenne. It’s a great way of getting them to try new foods.

•CHAMOMILE: These are tiny, daisy-like flowers that are especially helpful to parrots that need a calming influence. Chamomile is one of nature's safest and mildest sedatives, and it can be offered as flowers, fresh or dried, or as herbal tea to calm birds in stressful situations.(My rescued goffin cockatoo is a very high strung and nervous bird. Chamomile has been helping him to calm down and relax ).

•CINNAMON: A personal favourite of mine is cinnamon sticks. These sticks can also be used as "food toys" for parrot and while your bird is picking away at the stick it is releasing the smell of cinnamon into the room and freshening up the smell of your bird’s cage. Cinnamon also has a mild anti-bacterial effect. Ground cinnamon can be sprinkled on fresh foods in hot weather to help prevent the growth of pathogens on bird food.

•DANDELION: The flowers and greens are nutritious foods as well as liver cleansers. They are useful for restoring health to birds that have been maintained on a diet of processed foods. Used in their natural form as food, it is almost impossible to overdose. (I have found this to be great for a few of the birds that have come through the rescue on all seed diets with a lot of sunflower seeds. For those who are unaware sunflower seeds can cause fatty liver disease and should be used only infrequently as a treat).

•GARLIC: This is rich in sulfur and potassium, and it kills fungus, bacteria, and intestinal parasites. Fresh garlic cloves can be offered to parrots in moderation. Measured by the drop, Kyolic liquid garlic is often used to treat fungal and bacterial problems of parrots. Garlic can cause anemia in some animals if given for long periods of time, but to date, there is no documented evidence of harm to parrots.

•GINGER: Is an excellent motion sickness remedy for parrots that travel. A few slices of fresh ginger in the carrier can prevent regurgitation during car trips or airline flights in parrots prone to motion sickness. (My macaw “Sugar Ray” gets motion sickness sometimes in the car and it has helped).

•HERB FLOWERS: The tiny flowering blooms of the following spices are edible and beneficial to the health of parrots: anise, basil, bee balm, chives, coriander (cilantro), dill, fennel, garlic, oregano, rosemary, sage and thyme.

•ROSE HIP: This is a natural blood purifier and infection fighter. Although parrots manufacture their own vitamin C, the fruit of the rose benefits the immune system. There are many other flowers that can be given to parrots for specific treatment purposes and for enjoyment.

And also this:

Alfalfa Leaf helps assimilate protein, calcium and other nutrients. Contains chlorophyll. Richest land source of trace minerals. Very rich supply of Beta Carotene, Vitamins K and D. High in Calcium and contains Phosphorus, Iron, Potassium and eight essential enzymes. It is also high in fructo-oligosaccarides which fertilize healthy bacteria in the gut and neutralize bad bacteria overgrowth such as Candida.
Parsley is used as a preventive herb. High in Vitamin B and Potassium. It is said to contain a substance in which cancer cells cannot multiply. Rich in iron, chlorophyll and Vitamins A and C. Contains sodium, copper, thiamin and riboflavin, silicon, sulfur, calcium and cobalt.
Flaxseed supplies the body with essential fatty acids. Not only are flaxseeds richer in these fatty acids than fish oil, but they also taste much better. Flaxseed also promotes strong nails, bones and healthy skin.
Bee Pollen contains 35% Protein, 55% Carbohydrate, 2% Fatty Acids, 3% Minerals and Vitamins. High in B-Complex Vitamins A, C, D and E. Also contains Lecithin, Beta Carotene and Selenium. It is rich in vitamins and contains almost all known minerals, trace elements, enzymes and amino acids. It contains the essence of every plant from which bees collect pollen in combination with digestive enzymes from the bees. This combination of elements make bee pollen an excellent source of antioxidants. Bee pollen is rapidly absorbed into the blood stream and stimulates immunological responses.
Chickweed contains Vitamins A, C and some B, Flavonoids, Calcium, Phosphorus, Potassium and Zinc. It is used for skin problems, to treat blood disorders, gout and arthritis.
DandelionLeafbenefits liver function. Contains nutritive salts, protein, and is a rich source of Vitamin A. Also high in Vitamins B, C and E. Rich in Potassium, Calcium and sodium. Contains some Phosphorus and Iron as well as Nickel, Cobalt, Tin and Copper.
Red Clover Blossoms and Leaf contain Vitamins A, C, B-Complex, calcium, Chromium, Iron and Magnesium. Ed Clover has also been used effectively as a blood purifier and antibiotic.
Red Raspberry Leaf contains Vitamins A, C, D, E, and B. It is very high in available Calcium.
Rose Hips is abundant in Vitamin C and helps combat stress.
Milk Thistle Seeds supports the liver's ability to maintain normal liver function. Milk thistle works due to its ability to inhibit the factors responsible for liver damage, coupled with the fact it stimulates production of new liver cells to replace old damaged ones. Milk thistle is also an antioxidant that is more potent than Vitamins C and E.
Barley Grassis rich in Beta Carotene, B Vitamins and Vitamin C, the minerals Potassium, Calcium, Iron, Phosphorus, Magnesium, Chlorophyll, 8 essential amino acids and enzymes, including antioxidant and superoxide dismutase. In total, it contains 92 minerals and 22 vitamins.
Dill Weed is high in Calcium and soothing to digestion.
Dulse is rich in Protein. It contains 22% more than chickpeas, almonds or whole sesame seeds. Very high in Vitamins B6 and B12. Relatively low in sodium and high in Potassium. Rich in trace minerals.
Garlic Powder fights bacteria like an antibiotic. Garlic's sulfur compounds, in addition to Selenium and Vitamins A and C containing compounds, make it a potent antioxidant, protecting cell membranes and DNA from damage and disease. Garlic directly attacks bacteria and viruses and stimulates the bodies natural defenses against foreign invaders.
Ginger Powder is an absolute favorite taste of parrots. It is an excellent herb for the respiratory system as well as an effective cleansing agent for the digestive system. It contains Protein, Vitamins A, C and B Complex, Calcium, Phosphorus, Iron, Sodium, Potassium and Magnesium.
Wheat grass contains to many nutrients to mention them all. It is especially high in Fiber, Protein, Chlorophyll, Beta-Carotene, Vitamin B Complex, C, E and K, most minerals and contains 18 Amino Acids. High in Fructo-Oligosaccharides.
Astragalus Powderis an immunomodulator. It contains Glycosides, Polysaccharides, Choline, Betaine, Rumatakenin, and Beta-Sitosterol. It activates the immune system, thus enhancing the body's natural ability to fight disease and protecting the body against a number of toxins.
Chili Flakes is a digestive aid. This flake acts as an anti-inflammatory agent and aids in controlling pain.
Cinnamonis a favorite taste of parrots. It is a digestive aid and recent studies have shown it may help to eliminate E. Coli in food.
Turmeric Root has five times more antioxidant power than Vitamin E. Contains curcumin and many other phytochemicals. Makes foods more digestible and possesses anti-fungal and antibacterial properties and protects the liver by detoxification and scavenging free radicals. It also breaks down fats.
Taken from: http://www.aviannaturals.com/herbmix.html

Farhana

Moving in
Real Name
Farhana Saleem Synthia
Can i use star anisepowder in softfood for my budgie,lovebird and cocktai?

Farhana

Moving in
Real Name
Farhana Saleem Synthia
Does anybody offer their birdies fresh spices? Like whole peppercorns, anise (they look like stars) cloves, and coriander? I did a quick online search and didn't find anything specific for spices.
Can i use star anisepowder in softfood for my budgie,lovebird and cocktai?

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I have used whole star anise, clove, and allspice, along with cinnamon sticks. In terms of powdered spices, I rotate among yellow and red curries, chili, cinnamon (not Saigon!), garlic (sparingly and not often), garam masala, ginger, dill, fennel, and red pepper flakes. I offer bee pollen and ground flax seed probably 2x a week and use a chop sprinkle with organic seeds (including milk thistle and hemp berries) and herbs, many of which are on the lists above. I also give the birds soaked pellets with RPO or coconut oil once or twice a week.

RishiNandh

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Rishi
I have used whole star anise, clove, and allspice, along with cinnamon sticks. In terms of powdered spices, I rotate among yellow and red curries, chili, cinnamon (not Saigon!), garlic (sparingly and not often), garam masala, ginger, dill, fennel, and red pepper flakes. I offer bee pollen and ground flax seed probably 2x a week and use a chop sprinkle with organic seeds (including milk thistle and hemp berries) and herbs, many of which are on the lists above. I also give the birds soaked pellets with RPO or coconut oil once or twice a week.
Just confirming, By clove you mean clove buds from clove tree right?

FiatLux

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Isabelle (she/her)
I give cinnamon, ginger powder, cayenne, and the herb salad blend to my birds. I did find this, although I have heard not to give them garlic so I am not sure about that one!

•ALOE VERA: If you have a bird that is plucking or chewing its feathers adding liquid aloe to the water in your spray bottle baths is a great and less stressful way to curb the problem. The aloe has a bitter taste that will stop most birds from chewing or plucking themselves. (Of course some plucking and chewing problems aren’t this simple to stop). Aloe Vera has an added bonus in that it moisturizes the skin making reducing skin itch and irritability.

•CAYENNE: This is an overall digestive aid containing Vitamins A, C, B-complex, calcium, phosphorous and iron. It is also an anti-inflammatory and helps arthritic conditions. Parrots love the fiery taste of cayenne. It’s a great way of getting them to try new foods.

•CHAMOMILE: These are tiny, daisy-like flowers that are especially helpful to parrots that need a calming influence. Chamomile is one of nature's safest and mildest sedatives, and it can be offered as flowers, fresh or dried, or as herbal tea to calm birds in stressful situations.(My rescued goffin cockatoo is a very high strung and nervous bird. Chamomile has been helping him to calm down and relax ).

•CINNAMON: A personal favourite of mine is cinnamon sticks. These sticks can also be used as "food toys" for parrot and while your bird is picking away at the stick it is releasing the smell of cinnamon into the room and freshening up the smell of your bird’s cage. Cinnamon also has a mild anti-bacterial effect. Ground cinnamon can be sprinkled on fresh foods in hot weather to help prevent the growth of pathogens on bird food.

•DANDELION: The flowers and greens are nutritious foods as well as liver cleansers. They are useful for restoring health to birds that have been maintained on a diet of processed foods. Used in their natural form as food, it is almost impossible to overdose. (I have found this to be great for a few of the birds that have come through the rescue on all seed diets with a lot of sunflower seeds. For those who are unaware sunflower seeds can cause fatty liver disease and should be used only infrequently as a treat).

•GARLIC: This is rich in sulfur and potassium, and it kills fungus, bacteria, and intestinal parasites. Fresh garlic cloves can be offered to parrots in moderation. Measured by the drop, Kyolic liquid garlic is often used to treat fungal and bacterial problems of parrots. Garlic can cause anemia in some animals if given for long periods of time, but to date, there is no documented evidence of harm to parrots.

•GINGER: Is an excellent motion sickness remedy for parrots that travel. A few slices of fresh ginger in the carrier can prevent regurgitation during car trips or airline flights in parrots prone to motion sickness. (My macaw “Sugar Ray” gets motion sickness sometimes in the car and it has helped).

•HERB FLOWERS: The tiny flowering blooms of the following spices are edible and beneficial to the health of parrots: anise, basil, bee balm, chives, coriander (cilantro), dill, fennel, garlic, oregano, rosemary, sage and thyme.

•ROSE HIP: This is a natural blood purifier and infection fighter. Although parrots manufacture their own vitamin C, the fruit of the rose benefits the immune system. There are many other flowers that can be given to parrots for specific treatment purposes and for enjoyment.

And also this:

Alfalfa Leaf helps assimilate protein, calcium and other nutrients. Contains chlorophyll. Richest land source of trace minerals. Very rich supply of Beta Carotene, Vitamins K and D. High in Calcium and contains Phosphorus, Iron, Potassium and eight essential enzymes. It is also high in fructo-oligosaccarides which fertilize healthy bacteria in the gut and neutralize bad bacteria overgrowth such as Candida.
Parsley is used as a preventive herb. High in Vitamin B and Potassium. It is said to contain a substance in which cancer cells cannot multiply. Rich in iron, chlorophyll and Vitamins A and C. Contains sodium, copper, thiamin and riboflavin, silicon, sulfur, calcium and cobalt.
Flaxseed supplies the body with essential fatty acids. Not only are flaxseeds richer in these fatty acids than fish oil, but they also taste much better. Flaxseed also promotes strong nails, bones and healthy skin.
Bee Pollen contains 35% Protein, 55% Carbohydrate, 2% Fatty Acids, 3% Minerals and Vitamins. High in B-Complex Vitamins A, C, D and E. Also contains Lecithin, Beta Carotene and Selenium. It is rich in vitamins and contains almost all known minerals, trace elements, enzymes and amino acids. It contains the essence of every plant from which bees collect pollen in combination with digestive enzymes from the bees. This combination of elements make bee pollen an excellent source of antioxidants. Bee pollen is rapidly absorbed into the blood stream and stimulates immunological responses.
Chickweed contains Vitamins A, C and some B, Flavonoids, Calcium, Phosphorus, Potassium and Zinc. It is used for skin problems, to treat blood disorders, gout and arthritis.
DandelionLeafbenefits liver function. Contains nutritive salts, protein, and is a rich source of Vitamin A. Also high in Vitamins B, C and E. Rich in Potassium, Calcium and sodium. Contains some Phosphorus and Iron as well as Nickel, Cobalt, Tin and Copper.
Red Clover Blossoms and Leaf contain Vitamins A, C, B-Complex, calcium, Chromium, Iron and Magnesium. Ed Clover has also been used effectively as a blood purifier and antibiotic.
Red Raspberry Leaf contains Vitamins A, C, D, E, and B. It is very high in available Calcium.
Rose Hips is abundant in Vitamin C and helps combat stress.
Milk Thistle Seeds supports the liver's ability to maintain normal liver function. Milk thistle works due to its ability to inhibit the factors responsible for liver damage, coupled with the fact it stimulates production of new liver cells to replace old damaged ones. Milk thistle is also an antioxidant that is more potent than Vitamins C and E.
Barley Grassis rich in Beta Carotene, B Vitamins and Vitamin C, the minerals Potassium, Calcium, Iron, Phosphorus, Magnesium, Chlorophyll, 8 essential amino acids and enzymes, including antioxidant and superoxide dismutase. In total, it contains 92 minerals and 22 vitamins.
Dill Weed is high in Calcium and soothing to digestion.
Dulse is rich in Protein. It contains 22% more than chickpeas, almonds or whole sesame seeds. Very high in Vitamins B6 and B12. Relatively low in sodium and high in Potassium. Rich in trace minerals.
Garlic Powder fights bacteria like an antibiotic. Garlic's sulfur compounds, in addition to Selenium and Vitamins A and C containing compounds, make it a potent antioxidant, protecting cell membranes and DNA from damage and disease. Garlic directly attacks bacteria and viruses and stimulates the bodies natural defenses against foreign invaders.
Ginger Powder is an absolute favorite taste of parrots. It is an excellent herb for the respiratory system as well as an effective cleansing agent for the digestive system. It contains Protein, Vitamins A, C and B Complex, Calcium, Phosphorus, Iron, Sodium, Potassium and Magnesium.
Wheat grass contains to many nutrients to mention them all. It is especially high in Fiber, Protein, Chlorophyll, Beta-Carotene, Vitamin B Complex, C, E and K, most minerals and contains 18 Amino Acids. High in Fructo-Oligosaccharides.
Astragalus Powderis an immunomodulator. It contains Glycosides, Polysaccharides, Choline, Betaine, Rumatakenin, and Beta-Sitosterol. It activates the immune system, thus enhancing the body's natural ability to fight disease and protecting the body against a number of toxins.
Chili Flakes is a digestive aid. This flake acts as an anti-inflammatory agent and aids in controlling pain.
Cinnamonis a favorite taste of parrots. It is a digestive aid and recent studies have shown it may help to eliminate E. Coli in food.
Turmeric Root has five times more antioxidant power than Vitamin E. Contains curcumin and many other phytochemicals. Makes foods more digestible and possesses anti-fungal and antibacterial properties and protects the liver by detoxification and scavenging free radicals. It also breaks down fats.
Taken from: http://www.aviannaturals.com/herbmix.html
As someone who is into herbal medicine, this is fascinating. I’m curious about the dandelion leaf? I know very little yet about parrots as I’m new and learning but I thought copper was unsafe for parrots? No? Or maybe the trace amounts are so small it’s ok?

Sparkles!

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
As someone who is into herbal medicine, this is fascinating. I’m curious about the dandelion leaf? I know very little yet about parrots as I’m new and learning but I thought copper was unsafe for parrots? No? Or maybe the trace amounts are so small it’s ok?
Oooh. @FiatLux you should go take a peek at Twin Beaks avian herb salad. I just bought a bag. My birds are still exploring it. But if you do end up getting a bag and trying it, I would love to know what you think of it!
image.jpg

FiatLux

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Isabelle (she/her)
Oooh. @FiatLux you should go take a peek at Twin Beaks avian herb salad. I just bought a bag. My birds are still exploring it. But if you do end up getting a bag and trying it, I would love to know what you think of it!
View attachment 384244
just ordered it —cause Auntie Sparkles said so and anyone who can be this knowledgeable and keep their nails on point has got to be some kind of Wonder Woman.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
View attachment 384244

Yes, Buddy too! I got mine from Claire's @Love My Zons shop.

I also use:
Italian seasoning (only about 1 time a week)

Basil
Dandelion
Dill
Chamomile
Oregano
Parsley

& Very specifically, when cooking called;

Ceylon Cinnamon
Has less of something in it, can't remember... @Mizzely

Tried different pepper spices, Buddy's just not into them.

I use chamomile the most as Buddy's a Zon, & enjoys nipping way too much during hormone season. Dill is usually 2nd for the calcium. Buddy's past history prior to me was lacking all things healthy, including outdoors, flying & a high fat diet.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Coumarin :)

RishiNandh

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Rishi
Coumarin :)

I wish I had read this reply of yours 2 days ago

Any idea how fast this coumarin toxicity can happen?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

I do not. The liver is a strong organ thankfully but repeated exposure to toxins will wear it down.

redindiaink

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
garam masala
I'd be careful with garam masala, some commercial blends use cinnamon as part of the spice blend. If the local Indian markets are anything to go by I'd assume the cassia sticks their selling as cinnamon are used in commercial spice blends.

And if you like garam masala you should try this blend by Madjur Jaffrey.

It's impossible to say. You'd have to know how much coumarin is in the cinnamon you gave, how much the bird ate of it (a dash of cinnamon or whole sticks?) and the health of the bird plays a role too. If you're really worried call your vet.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I'd be careful with garam masala, some commercial blends use cinnamon as part of the spice blend. If the local Indian markets are anything to go by I'd assume the cassia sticks their selling as cinnamon are used in commercial spice blends.

And if you like garam masala you should try this blend by Madjur Jaffrey.

I appreciate the recommendation. I've used garam masala for 3 years with no ill effects, though. Are you saying that they used cassia instead of cinnamon or vice versa?

It's impossible to say. You'd have to know how much coumarin is in the cinnamon you gave, how much the bird ate of it (a dash of cinnamon or whole sticks?) and the health of the bird plays a role too. If you're really worried call your vet.