• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Species-specific macaw growth charts

sith'ari

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Fee
Hello all,

Can anyone provide any macaw growth charts (age in days versus weight in grams)? I am having the hardest time finding one for blue-throated macaws anywhere on the internet. Elsewhere in this forum I have found one for a b&g, but the image was cut off for the first few weeks of age and it was hard to read. I'd love to find a complete one for b&g or scarlet as they're similarly sized to the blue-throated, unless someone actually has a b-t one. I am aware that growth can differ by individual but I still need to be able to compare to average.

It would be great if someone could provide any average feeding schedule charts for macaws also, so I can compare rate of crop emptying and amount of begging to a normal baseline.

Lots of hand feeding experience but this is my first baby macaw, just took him in yesterday evening. He is 11 weeks old. No, he should not have been rehomed at this age - I needed to get him out of that place. The person had no idea what they were doing and it was clear they hadn't bred him personally but rather were "selling him for a friend." Not only is he small for his age (at least I THINK he is, need that info!), but when I met this bird at 2:00 p.m. that day and I asked when he had last eaten, the "breeder" said he hadn't even fed him yet that day. All the blood drained out of my head when he said that. He was on Kaytee Exact formula also which doesn't even have enough calories for my budgies (granted they're pretty high energy too). For now I started giving him the Roudybush I already had in the house, adding a teeny bit of Formula Plus and a bit of coconut oil for some extra fat, and I also ordered the Higgins Hi Energy which should arrive today or tomorrow hopefully. This being the first time I've hand fed a macaw I need all the advice I can get as that breeder obviously is not a breeder and certainly will not be able to help me. He told me this bird was "almost weaned" at 11 weeks, but I believe he is simply lightening - he already flew the first evening. Into a wall, but still (baby birds). I just want to get him socialized and fed correctly (doesn't even know how to head bob and wouldn't let me touch his beak at all at first - that changed after the first feeding as I was gently petting his head while feeding him and he finally accepted my hand - previous owner liked to poke him obnoxiously in the face through the cage bars and go, "look, he bites when he's in the cage" - man this person made my heart rate skyrocket, it was hard not to deck him, even typing this now is making my blood boil). The baby is not banded and I'll never know where he came from originally (previous owner claims within state but...I mean really) but he will be safe here for the rest of his life no matter what. I don't know what the forum rules are for swearing but it was difficult to get through this paragraph without it.

I already sent a stool sample out for a BDF test and gram stain. I really need to get him on the right growth curve. I feel like he should weigh almost as much as my 24-year-old catalina (1030g), but right now he is 760g. He does not feel particularly thin at the keel, but his overall size seems small. He is fully feathered and his feathers look decent for a baby. I am told his hatch date was 7/28/21.

Thank you all so much!

Fee

P.S. Just curious - would you be able to leave without taking that bird with you?

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Tagging in a few macaw people: @Macawnutz @macawpower58 @Shezbug @BrianB

And no, I would not have been able to leave that baby there. You did well for keeping calm and getting him/her out of there.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Welcome. Poor baby. Glad you were able to get him/her out of there.

sith'ari

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Fee
He is much better off than I thought. I am really glad I saw the species-specific chart. They definitely are smaller at this age than the b&gs which is a relief. Apparently the original breeder knew what he was doing even though the seller didn't. Yay!

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
My guess is that you would be closer to a red front in terms of size/food volume. I'll pull out the book again tomorrow and get pictures of the one closest to the BT size. It's not going to be a blue and gold.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Blue throats are the second smallest large macaws. Only the red fronted is smaller. A fully grown blue throat will never be the size of a catalina macaw.

BrianB

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I pull this from a book on just macaws. It's an average of 12 blue-throated macaws and their growth / weight from hatching to weaning. I hope it helps. The book only gives info on pure species but I've used it to get an idea of what a hybrid should weight and when.

The breeder / seller should stop what they are doing. They are harming birds and have no clue.

BlueThroat.jpg

sith'ari

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Fee
I pull this from a book on just macaws. It's an average of 12 blue-throated macaws and their growth / weight from hatching to weaning. I hope it helps. The book only gives info on pure species but I've used it to get an idea of what a hybrid should weight and when.

The breeder / seller should stop what they are doing. They are harming birds and have no clue.

View attachment 394744
What's the name of the book? I love to read and gain my bird information that way. Currently reading up on Neophemas.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
3.5 Months seems a bit young for fully weaned (From @Toy page).
I'd say it's the start of weaning.
Do Blue Throats wean faster than other macaws?

sith'ari

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Fee
Oh gosh no, I doubt it. This seller didn't know about lightening.

sith'ari

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Fee
UPDATE: He doesn't take a lot of formula, only about 5% of his body weight. I dispense more than that but because he doesn't head bob he wants to take one gulp at a time and a lot of it goes everywhere and it takes a long time, leading to troublesome formula cooling of course. He really got into a predicament over there, losing the instinct to head bob. It is definitely making this challenging. I have crop feeding tools and I have good experience crop feeding but I really don't want to do that if I don't have to because it may affect my relationship with him - that takes a backseat if it's required for his health, though. Do you experienced macaw owners think this is lightening or will this psychological non-bobbing situation probably lead to crop feeding?

Thank you so much everyone

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Oh gosh no, I doubt it. This seller didn't know about lightening.
Oops, I meant from BrianB's attached page.
It has 'weaned' at 110 days.
That seemed off to me.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Blue throats have a reputation for regressing if they are weaned to soon. Also, they tend to abundance wean around 5-6 months based on talking with several breeders. That is why Michael's breeder keeps all blue throats for three weeks after they stop being hand-fed.

Last edited:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
What's the name of the book? I love to read and gain my bird information that way. Currently reading up on Neophemas.
The book that @Macawnutz shared pictures from is The Large Macaws by Joanne Abramson. It is an amazing book, but quite expensive. Every now and then they are posted on Ebay for a fairly reasonable price.