• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Species profiles

Status
Not open for further replies.

rikkitikki

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Erika
((I was just thinking about researching different species some more. Species "profiles" can seem generic and vague, especially when you're looking for specific examples. I thought it might be kind of nice to have stickys under each ... oh, I don't know what you call them, Topic? (ie Macaw Motorway, Conure Circle, etc) for popular species and add to the list as more people come on with additional species. Those that want to could add their own 'mini-profiles' of their particular pet within each species. That way, when people come on here to ask about certain species, what they are like, etc, it won't be something that needs to be repeated that 'each individual bird is different within the species,' and people asking about the birds would have good examples of what exactly that means (or good examples of what 'nippy,' 'loud,' 'stubborn,' etc means))) --EDIT: Okay, I don't know how to do it, but I wanted to do a strikethrough on this, I changed my mind, I don't think that idea was very good, but the following (generic profile) still seems to make sense to me...

Maybe even start the thread with a generic species profile and then each owner could add their own experiences with the species and what makes each bird special/unique, and how they fit the 'species profile' (or don't fit it...)
Thoughts?

Last edited:

rikkitikki

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Erika
Meh... maybe that would end up taking out some of the fun of the forums anyway, dunno. But the general species profile would probably be nice.

Last edited by a moderator:

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Well, there are some basic species profiles here:
http://www.avianweb.com/parrotspecies.htm But, not all of the profiles talk about pet attributes and captive behavior. Most of the more common ones have that info though.

rikkitikki

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Erika
Thanks Holiday, I'll check out that link.

Status
Not open for further replies.