• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

<species info> King vulture Sarcoramphus papa

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
kv.jpg
The species information on the King vulture Sarcoramphus papa

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Most people would probably think I am nuts. But I like vultures. And they are such a needed group.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I love vultures! Always found them amazing, cute and helpful! They do some dirty jobs and it amazes me how efficient they are. According to a documentary with David Attenborough, vultures have a very good sense of smell. This is very amazing to me since many birds have poor smell.

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I love vultures! Here's a friend of mine called Kevin.

Kevin is a Turkey Vulture (Cathartes aura) and is part of an education programme. He goes into schools to teach children about birds of prey, and especially about vultures. They have a vital role in the ecosystem by making sure that dead bodies don't hang around. Killing vultures means that diseases like anthrax are more present because the bodies of animals that died of anthrax aren't cleaned up. If you have bodies hanging around there end up being more mammalian scavengers, so you often see an increase in rabies cases as well. Kevin got his name because he is huge - he has a wingspan of nearly 2 metres - but his handler reckoned that no one can be scared of a bird called Kevin!

I was lucky enough to fly him - nothing like a huge vulture with that wingspan landing on your wrist! If Kevin scents a carcass he sometimes goes for a bit of a wander, so his handler has to fit a GPS tracker to him to she can find him again.

DSC09008.JPG