• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Species based intelligence

macawww

Hit the Road
Which parrot species do you think are the most/least traditionally intelligent from a human point of view? Obviously there are different types of intelligence so I'm considering things like problem solving and ability to be trained and learn behaviours. Are there any species who you think are overlooked?

macawww

Hit the Road
Smart/not smart behaviours I've noticed in my birds:

Macaw

-Can be taught to say words and phrases in context
-Knows what I mean when I say appropriate things to him like bath time, food time, time to go to sleep...
-Signals his needs, like if he's being lazy and would rather transport via human than fly or climb somewhere
-Understands my emotions and has tried to comfort me when I'm upset or frustrated
-Seems to recognise himself in the mirror

GCC

-Can escape from a variety of different cages
-Master cupboard opener
-Can do a variety of different tricks even when asked to do very different things within one session

Cockatiel

-If there is a small gap between tables or perches which requires a shorter distance than flight but a larger distance than a jump to cross, she is stuck and pretty much malfunctions

-If I put food under something like a plastic cup or a sheet of paper, it disappears. No object permanence. Lol. Makes for fun during peekaboo

-Very emotionally in tune with the flock... seemed to know when the macaw was sick last year and would "guard" his cage. Gcc acted as normal

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Budgies are very smart & often overlooked. I think they’re all intelligent, TBH.

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
I think lovebirds are high intelligent

great problem solvers eg foraging I bought fairy hard foraging toys all manage to get in pico couldn’t get in one so he removed the plastic round circles holding it on and pulled one side off to get to millet I removed that one as I don’t think the plastic circles are safe I found them all on floor of his cage but still not taking chance
Indie holds square up with one foot to get millet in round bamboo chamber she’s got to bottom one too but not seen how she does it
I have the draws and apple pie will pull and move side to side to open draw hadn’t figured out to pull rope but I still think it’s clever

can do tricks and have learnt pretty quickly turn around flip wave tunnel under my hand brilliant recall

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
This is obvious, but my grey is super smart. When I adopted her she and her cage arrived at my house covered with a blanket. I lifted up a corner and she happened to be clinging to that side. She looked at me and said, "Parrot," as if announcing herself. She's never said that word again.

One time my parents were over and fighting in our native, non-English language. She listened to them quietly and then said, "It's OK," completely rendering them speechless and ending the fight.

One day I kept hearing the smoke alarm go off as if the battery was low--several beeps in a row. I went and picked up the alarm and placed it next to my work desk (dining room) within view of my grey to make sure it was the one making the noise (I have several smoke detectors in my house). I heard no beeps after that, realizing that it was my grey who had been making the noise and that she now knew she would get caught if she tried again. (Even though she got caught anyway.)

macawww

Hit the Road
I'm obsessed with research on bird intelligence... especially the species I own!

Toy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have a B&G Macaw, U2 & a CAG. All 3 I feel are intillegent. I think the more you interact with your parrot the more they learn & do. Relating words & sounds with items & actions teaches them the what, why, how & when of every day life. They can even be taught hand signals. Our CAG will go in her cage when I flip my hand. My past B&G Macaw knew when wiggled both index fingers it meant "wings up" & she'd put her wings up. They also sit & watch you & earn from visual as well. My current B&G Macaw learned how to open both her cage latches, at the same time, so she could get out, by watching me do it. I tell her she has to take a toy out of her water dish, so I can remove the dish & get her fresh water. She tosses the toy out across her cage. Sometimes it's scary how smart they are.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
I have an amazon, macaw, cockatoo.

The macaw I have to say is my biggest thinker, the one who also never forgets and can hold a grudge.
He understands requests and often does them. He'll ignore/get mad if I insist and he's not in the mood.
At times will speak in context, saying things not usually said. He's not a big talker for the most part.
Usually talks when he wants something.
He also enjoys looking at photos, something neither of my other birds care to do.

The Too is by far the most clever. Always mischievous and pushing boundaries.
Her memory is fairly good also, she'll do tricks when my daughters stop by.
These are ones taught to her over 15 years ago. She never does them except when my girls show up.
She can and will repeat actions she sees (like letting other birds out). I have to watch what I show her.

I love my amazon to death, but sadly he's about as smart as a box of rocks.
Can't even find an alternate exit (opened feed door), not even after I've pointed it out to him over and over again, and the Too is using it.
He likes to interact, but I don't really see any reasoning with the things he does in context to what I'm doing.

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
I have a grey and 2 amazons ...

My grey Tyrion is by far the smartest bird I have every owned ..He responds to me ,my mom ,the tv and the other animals in the right way with the right words ..he likes to play jokes on the cats or what he thinks are jokes ...

My amazons Lagatha and Rhaenyra are very smart as we.ll ..Even though Lagatha doesnt talk she makes her sounds at the right time while Rhaernya talks sings and whistles back almost everything you say ...

I think they all are intelligent in there own way and with the right interaction they can be very smart almost humane like ... :strhng: