• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Special Offer for Royal Poinciana Seed Pods!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Cozy Nestbox

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly
For all orders of palm nuts of 3 or 5 pounds received between now and 11:59 PM of Sunday, September 26th, I will include FOR FREE large sections of freshly harvested green Royal Poinciana Seed Pods. Every 3-pound order will receive 3 sections of Royal Poinciana Seed Pods and every 5-pound order will receive 5 sections. Each section will be between 6 and 8 inches in length and approximately 2 inches wide. You may cut them into smaller pieces on your own if you like, depending on the size bird you are giving them to.

In our experience, these pods work well with birds sized from Caiques to Macaws.

Please note that the pods are available on a seasonal basis only and are not expected to be around after the middle of October. They will not again be available until late next summer/early fall.

I know some of you may wish to order ONLY the Seed Pods. If so, please note that I will be adding them as a new item for sale on my site tomorrow. For now, I plan to sell EIGHT 6" to 8" chunks for a flat rate of $15, including shipping. You should be able to order them this way by this time tomorrow night. Thank you!

Also, I just finished working up a new video about the pods for those unfamiliar with them. Once I polish it a bit more, I intend to post it on my website. Here it is in its current state. I hope you like it. It's the first time I worked with doing any kind of narration. :)

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
:yah: Kelly, I have been waiting for this today ;)

the video is great - I enjoyed the narration :thumbsup:

Last edited:

~Tiko~

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tammy
Great video! I am so on the list tomorrow for just the pods! I can't remember reading if you can freeze them or not. I only have 1 grey and 3 cockatiels so I would want to freeze them! Thanks! :)

Jan

Stainless Bird Toys @ Blu's Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jan
Kelly - that video was fantastic! Narriation sounded quite professional! You did well! That tree is something else, those pods are huge & the tree looks beautiful! Unfortunately, with things in nature they do not last for long!

The Cozy Nestbox

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly
I have now updated my website to allow customers to order ONLY the Royal Poinciana Seed Pods. Here is the link to the Order page:

Order

Please note that you need to scroll down the page to find the order tab for the Seed Pods. It is the last item offered in the list of products. Thank you!

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Loved the video!!!

Cant wait to make a nice seed pod order:D

So I have a question. Did you ever find out how the seed pod hold up to being freezed?

Deejo

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Doris
Kelly,
A huge round of applause!
Your video ad is articulate and informative; such a pleasure to watch. You seem like a 'natural'.
Love it!

The Cozy Nestbox

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly
Great video! I am so on the list tomorrow for just the pods! I can't remember reading if you can freeze them or not. I only have 1 grey and 3 cockatiels so I would want to freeze them! Thanks! :)
Loved the video!!!

Cant wait to make a nice seed pod order:D

So I have a question. Did you ever find out how the seed pod hold up to being freezed?
Thank you for reminding me! Yes, I had placed a section of one pod in the freezer yesterday. I took it out after reading these posts this morning and let it thaw. I then gave it to some Amazons. I just checked up on them a few minutes ago and see it is nearly destroyed. I took pics but have not uploaded them yet and now am going to be out for the afternoon. I will try to post them tonight.

This is the only experience I personally have with freezing, thawing and serving a previously-frozen pod to birds. I did not see much change in color or texture and the birds certainly did not mind it! :)

Kelly,
A huge round of applause!
Your video ad is articulate and informative; such a pleasure to watch. You seem like a 'natural'.
Love it!

Ah, thank you, Doris. You are too kind. :blush2:

I will admit I had fun putting the video together and only wish I had more time to do it. I was racing to get something presentable up last night and I was sure burning the midnight oil! As you can see, those training sessions I've been taking at the Apple Store are a big help with something like this. Again, thank you for your encouragement and kind words. They are much appreciated! :hug8:

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
you were up late last night ;)

I got my order in too!!! :thumbsup:

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
So with the cut 6-8" pieces of seed pods, how long will they stay fresh? Should we refrigerate them if we are not going to feed them all within 3-5 days?

~Tiko~

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tammy
Thank you, Thank you! Placed my order! :dancing:

The Cozy Nestbox

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly
you were up late last night ;)

I got my order in too!!! :thumbsup:
I got it! And you are right...it was a late night and I've been dragging all day! It was worth it though. :)

So with the cut 6-8" pieces of seed pods, how long will they stay fresh? Should we refrigerate them if we are not going to feed them all within 3-5 days?

Mercedez, I would definitely recommend refrigerating the pods upon receipt to extend their shelf life, so to speak. I have left some out at room temperature and in 3 to 4 days they start to dry down and will eventually dry out and turn brown. They do this naturally on the trees too, of course, if left there. Once dry, they fall to the ground and many pods break open to spill their seed out. At this point the seeds are very, very hard.

Remember that section of a pod I told you I froze last night? Well, here's a pic of it immediately after I removed it from the freezer today. You can see the frost on the pod.

I let the pod thaw out and then put it in a flight with some Amazons. I put in other pod sections as well but cut them shorter in length so that I could keep straight which one was the one I had frozen. If I had not done this it would have been impossible to tell them apart as freezing did not appear to affect the coloration of the pod. Well, as soon as I put it in the flight with the other pod sections, an Amazon named "Blue" immediately seized it and started to chew it up. I kept checking back every few minutes to half an hour to see what was happening and saw the thawed pod being gnawed on by a couple different birds, but in the end, Blue had gotten it back. This is a picture showing Blue with the thawed pod about an hour or so after I had put it in the flight. As you can see, the birds found this previously-frozen pod just as tasty as the never-frozen ones. It's not the clearest picture but it was the clearest of the few I snapped.

Thank you, Thank you! Placed my order! :dancing:
Got it!! Thank you so much!

Great video Kelly!!!
Thanks, Marlene!

Kathie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kathie
Kelly, thank you for introducing us to so many wonderful natural products for our birds; products which are both health and awesome soruces of enrichment. The video is awesome. I wouldn't expect anything less from you. :hug8:

The Cozy Nestbox

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly
Kelly, thank you for introducing us to so many wonderful natural products for our birds; products which are both health and awesome soruces of enrichment. The video is awesome. I wouldn't expect anything less from you. :hug8:

Thank you, Kathie! You know, the very same things could be said about you. :)

Ladyredwingrider

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Moni
I'm so glad I found this post, it reminded me to put in my order. The video was great, you did such a awesome job. I'm looking forward to getting the order and watching my fids eat them.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Im glad to hear about freezing the see pods! That is encouraging! And I will surely do so when I get my bunch.. in fact I'll probably freeze them all and take out only what my fids need/want at that time.

So all the other palms nuts, the foxtail and the queen palm nuts are available all year 'round?

Thats good :) My big birds LOVE them both, but they really really like the foxtail.. Squid loved the little black ones, the fan palm, but hopefully she'll be o.k with the other two we're getting in :) And when you have the Christmas and Pandanus, please let me know! I'll be the first to order:D:D:D

Status
Not open for further replies.