• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

special needs Ring neck / antisocial behavior

ShawnLee

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Shawn
I recently adopted a special needs Indian ringneck who is three years old, was born with one deformed foot and at some point had their other foot broken and not set properly which has now left it mostly unusable save for 2 of the appendages. She came to me from a woman running a bird rescue foundation from her home as of right now due to real estate reasons, I have a stack of vet records for her and the woman explained she had only had her about two months and in this time she had been picking at her chest so she took her to her vet to be checked out. the vet found feather mites and she was then treated with two rounds of medication to take care of the mite problem. after the treatment, she continued to pick at her chest and the vet and the woman think this may be a nervous tick now or possibly because she may have been suffering from it for so long a compulsive thing her now.. in any case, I am not able to take her to the vet quite yet but do have her appointment scheduled for a couple of weeks from now to get checked out. she also came with a cone a vest and scrunchies to put on her to distract her from picking at herself, I noticed the cone was making it almost impossible for her to preen her feathers at all so I removed it and switched her over to the vest which only covers her chest area. this is the only spot she picks at, prior to me changing her to the vest I had her for around 3 days and in these 3 days she seemed to warm up to me pretty easily though was slightly cautious. she was even scooting onto my palm as she can't stop up like a normal bird can. But once I put this vest on her, she will no longer come out of her cage like she was in the beginning, she does not want me to touch her and she now sits in the corner of her cage with her back to me almost all hours of the day.. and I feel horrible and don't know what to do >.< I don't want to change anything as I don't want to cause her more stress but I'm worried I did something to upset her so badly that she now hates me and won't allow me near her any longer.. Does anyone have any idea what I should do if anything?? or what may be the cause of this :/ it's very stressful and upsetting to think iv already hurt her in such a way that she does not trust me.

Attachments

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue :)

That´s a great set up you have for her.

Hopefully she will warm back up to you again like she did before.

I wish I could say something more helpful, but I don´t know. Maybe some other members will have tips or advice..

ShawnLee

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Shawn
Welcome to the Avenue :)

That´s a great set up you have for her.

Hopefully she will warm back up to you again like she did before.

I wish I could say something more helpful, but I don´t know. Maybe some other members will have tips or advice..
thank you for the welcome :), and reply. I hope so too..
I feel like a bad parent right now and I don't want to stress her out too much but I have to move her to clean her cage and vacuum as she does not like loud noises. She seems to do a bit better once out of the cage but it's stressful to actually get her out. I hope she realizes I just want to help her and give her lots of love and support! She's a beautiful bird :) and TYVM for the compliment, she has to scoot to get around and uses her beak to help herself scoot around so putting the wrapping on the low platforms helps her grip them better. BTW her name is Ally :)