• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Special Needs Home

Madi8416

Moving in
Real Name
Madi Adams
I have been taking care of birds for a few years now -- I started off with a little budgie, whom I still have, and have worked my way up to a macaw. I have had all types of birds: Finch, canaries, wrens, starlings, doves, Quakers, parakeets, cockatoos, cockatiels, and macaws, etc.
Many of the birds that I have homed had special needs. My first bird with special needs was a cockatiel named Jesse that I still have today. He has been labeled as autistic by our local avian vet. He is the sweetest little thing ever, he gives you kisses, sings to you, and runs around on your shoulders. He has to be kept in a smaller cage than we would like because he falls almost 24/7. He can not fly and he probably never will be able to. He had tore his vent whenever he was a baby and this had cause many many problems resulting in infection and everything. He was on medication at the time and he did fully recover.
Another bird i had rescued was a plucker who had a bad infection on his leg from chewing on his skin. He was used as a breeder before and was sold to us with his mate. Their names were Bella and Kiwi. We had to get proper medication for kiwi and we had to put a silly little poncho on him so he couldn't pluck and make it worse!! Eventually we got him to stop plucking and he recovered with full feathers! We did have to find them a new home sadly because they kept trying to mate and we could not have any more birds at the time.
My favorite bird I have ever had is Charlie. He is a goffins cockatoo who was abused before we got him. He is missing toes and was a plucker when we got him. He had grown accustomed to sleeping in bed with someone, so i have had to get used to him in bed with me. (We have tried almost everything there is to do and all he does is pluck, scream, and cry like a baby if he is not with me) Before he had lived with the old lady who slept with him in bed, he lived in a house where he was abused by men and kids. This is where some of his toes we're were cut off. He has become my little baby and he goes everywhere with me. He is very very spoiled now and usually is on me 24/7. He is very attached to me now, and I am working with him to like other people, I have had him a few years but he still tries to attack anyone who comes near me, even if he isn't with me. He has caused stitches to my brothers and has chewed through doors to get to me, but he is still a work in progress.
One of the last birds I had rescued was a blue and gold macaw. His name was boo boo and he had a spinal defect. I am not too sure if this was after he was born or if he was born with it but he could not fly as he had a real bad wing and could not extend it all the way. He was attached to me, and charlie would try to attack him when he wasn't getting the attention. He would take part in the family conversation everyday and he always had something witty to reply with. He was a very intelligent bird but we could not keep him due to the birth of my baby brother and he was not getting nearly enough attention he started to get hostile so we had to find him a new home.

**I have had many other birds as well, but these are some of the more interesting stories. Screenshot_2018-02-11-14-08-46.png Screenshot_2018-02-11-14-08-46.png Screenshot_2018-02-11-14-10-06.png Screenshot_2018-02-11-14-08-46.png Screenshot_2018-02-11-14-10-06.png Screenshot_2018-02-11-14-10-18.png Screenshot_2018-02-11-14-10-41.png Screenshot_2018-02-11-14-10-47.png Screenshot_2018-02-11-14-11-02.png Screenshot_2018-02-11-14-11-29.png Screenshot_2018-02-11-14-11-40.png Screenshot_2018-02-11-14-12-06.png

Leigh jacques

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Leigh
I love your sweet babies! They are very lucky to have you. I had a special needs quaker who was my best friend...probably one of the most rewarding and beautiful bonds ive ever had. Thank you for your devotion to these precious babies

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Thank you for helping all of them! Why did you block out out your beautiful face? We wont judge, and like to see to our crazy bird people faces,,,:heart:
So,,,when we take over the world, we can recognize each otber..:lol:

Brittany0208

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
How did you modify your cages for your disabled birds with feet problems?