• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Special needs cage set up advice

Queen

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Bianca
This is our first special needs bird
He is a plumhead and was born the way he is
He can't fly
And I would like to have everything set up before he comes
Could everyone please show pictures of what cages they are using and set up thanks​

Attachments

Sunni Tiel

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
I don't have a special needs bird but If he can't fly make sure you have ladders so he can access all perches and his food. Also try to get a short but long cage so he can't fall and hurt himself. Congrats on the new bird and good luck!

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
When Pi first joined me he couldn't fly because the breeder clipped his wings at the last minute. He did start flying the moment his feathers regenerated.

This tree branch was his favourite place before he could fly. He like that he could hide away. Ok my photos aren't loading. I will try and post them tonight.

I would say provide amble climbing surfaces. They are high energy birds and even when Pi couldn't fly he was boundless in his enthusiasm to climb. He also ran around on the floor a bunch. If possible try providing lots of treats hidden in little bits of paper or foraging toys. I am able to attach stuff all over his tree. Your bird will enjoy the challenge. Don't underestimate the beaks, they love destroying wood. They can handle wooden blocks and natural branches easily. They get anxious when they feel like a fish in a bowl, so do what you can to provide more private areas so he can climb into his one little sanctuary if he needs. They are very chirpy and happy little birds when they feel safe. They are basically silent when they are fearful.

I think what I mentioned is all a bit vague. When I am on my comp I will try and be more comprehensive.

I typed this up ages ago

Last edited:

Queen

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Bianca
When Pi first joined me he couldn't fly because the breeder clipped his wings at the last minute. He did start flying the moment his feathers regenerated.

This tree branch was his favourite place before he could fly. He like that he could hide away. Ok my photos aren't loading. I will try and post them tonight.

I would say provide amble climbing surfaces. They are high energy birds and even when Pi couldn't fly he was boundless in his enthusiasm to climb. He also ran around on the floor a bunch. If possible try providing lots of treats hidden in little bits of paper or foraging toys. I am able to attach stuff all over his tree. Your bird will enjoy the challenge. Don't underestimate the beaks, they love destroying wood. They can handle wooden blocks and natural branches easily. They get anxious when they feel like a fish in a bowl, so do what you can to provide more private areas so he can climb into his one little sanctuary if he needs. They are very chirpy and happy little birds when they feel safe. They are basically silent when they are fearful.

I think what I mentioned is all a bit vague. When I am on my comp I will try and be more comprehensive.

I typed this up ages ago
What about cage thats something I'm not sure as I have a large cage which I had my alexandrine in but I was told be too dangerous as he can't fly and seem to get around easy but it would just take and accident for him to get hurt

Pat H

Real Name
Pat
Isn't that large diameter natural wood perch near the top... too large for his feet? Maybe a rope perch would give him more stability.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
What about cage thats something I'm not sure as I have a large cage which I had my alexandrine in but I was told be too dangerous as he can't fly and seem to get around easy but it would just take and accident for him to get hurt
I would at the least place a towel or soft padding at the bottom of the cage. You can line the top of that with your normal cage liner, but it will give a softer surface for potential falls.

I don't have the best advice for a permanently incapable bird since I haven't shared that experience. I think some members here use med tape to help protect from slips.

Pi spent almost all of his time on his tree when he couldn't fly. The leaves and cover gave him a sense of safety in addition to keeping him busy.
IMG_5885.JPG
IMG_5879.JPG
IMG_6076.JPG
IMG_6098.JPG

Queen

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Bianca
Isn't that large diameter natural wood perch near the top... too large for his feet? Maybe a rope perch would give him more stability.
He isn't with me yet that is his breeders who have him in that cage

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
What about cage thats something I'm not sure
If you can find a cage like this, it would be a good choice;

There was a member here with a special needs vasa, she´s not a member anymore, so you can´t ask her anything, but you can still read her thread showing her cage set up;