• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

"Special" Cockatiel

ScarlettBird

Checking out the neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Scarlett Delatte
Hello I am Scarlett and I am new to the forums. I have two cockatiels and a GCC. One of my cockatiels named Smokey is a female and she has always acted very special. She loves me and she let's me give her scratches to her head. Even though we are this close, she is scared of everything. She has been like this since I got her as a baby from a reputable breeder that I got my other cockatiel from. Smokey is two years old. I try to feed her seeds as treats out of my hands but she just hisses and screeches at me. My other birds will take from my hand though. Also, she shakes her head a lot when I talk to her or when other people talk to her. She is still scared of my hands and stepping up for me. When I open the cage she will want to come out, but when I reach in she freaks out and tries to get away from me. She also just seems very immature to my other cockatiel who is only a year older than her. Smokey kind of gives off a baby vibe still.

Please help me figure out ways to help her be less afraid of things. Also, if anyone could tell me what's wrong with her hearing it would be great.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
First thing is not to put your hands in the cage when she is inside. Train her slowly to step up on a perch held in your hand along with a millet spray.
Let her come to you, not you to her. Over time of doing this she will be less afraid of your hands. May take 2 or 3 months. All birds are different.

CeciliaZ

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
Hi Scarlett and welcome! I have 5 tiels and a lovebird. I do believe Smokey "loves" you...she accepts scritches from you and you say you are close. As I have learned from my birds - their cage is their "safe" place - that is their territory. Let her come out of her cage on her own. She may be afraid of your hands. My oldest tiel, not sure of his exact age but I have had him for over 16 years, my sister had him for about 8 months - so I know he is at least 17 years old. He is my "hands off" bird. He will perch on my shoulder, leg, lap, arm - just don't try and pet him! Offer her treats outside her cage - my tiels love millet! Just don't force her out of her cage. I used to have a female tiel years ago who loved her cage...I tried up-grading her cage to a larger one - she did not want it. Every morning I would open her cage door. She would take her time before she came out. She would eat, sit on her perch, preen herself and when she was ready she would come out!

As far as her hearing - only one of my tiels shakes his head when I talk to him and I have not seen that in any of my birds before. I remember reading here that it is an auditory response and is natural. I think it was from @JLcribber .:)

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
As far as her hearing - only one of my tiels shakes his head when I talk to him and I have not seen that in any of my birds before. I remember reading here that it is an auditory response and is natural. I think it was from @JLcribber .
Yes that "twitch" they do when you speak to them is just a cockatiel thing. In broad terms it means he's listening/hearing what your saying.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I think you have received excellent advice from @CeciliaZ . It's great that she wants head scratches, because many skittish birds will not accept them. Just remember to try to make everything her choice. I also have a hands off bird, but he has learned to step up onto my covered arm. He actually is very afraid of skin. One of my female tiels always shakes her head when I talk to her.