• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Special Cage ideas!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cannuck

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Danielle
We have just adopted a yellow parrotlet yet to be named. She is special needs and I am hoping to pick your brains for cage ideas. We used to have a cockatiel with a severely splayed leg but she got around really well using her good leg. This little one has 2 crippled legs and walk on her knee joint and chest. She does struggle quite a bit and we want to make her life easier. So far everything is low, lots of rope perches, we are going to make her a shelf bed. Any other suggestions are really appreciated.
I will post pictures later on. She is still in quarantine as well as settling in so I do not want to stress her too much. She has one mean bite! Lol!

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
Here is a link from the health section, it has lots of great ideas for cage modifications.
I would just have a shallow cage, flat with fabric (tea towel) on the bottom so its easy for the little one to get around. If you can, have a heat lamp or heat panel. Make raised area so it gives the bird the illusion of perching, just an area that is a little bit higher, but he doesn't have to climb high to get to it.
Caring for Arthritic Birds

Tielygirl

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Shelves and ladders, you can make a good shelf with wood, just take untreated, say, a 1x3 and make however long you want. Then like the wooden perches, just drill a small hole, put in your hanger bolt, 2 washers and a wing-nut to finish. And you can cover the shelf with fleece too. I have made several shelves for my cockatiels, they aren't handicapped, but enjoy the extra perching surfaces.

Or sometimes the acrylic cages and small animal cages are nice for them too. the small animal cages come with ramps and shelves, plus horizontal bars for easier climbing. I wouldn't use a grate for her either. For comfort at the bottom of the cage you can place a small stuffed animal too! :)

allison

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
These were Miracle's cages. She had arthris and had trouble getting around. She later got gout which made her feet even more painful for her. She passed away in June. The big one was when she was healthy, the other was from when she was getting sick.

Attachments

B

Beatriz Cazeneuve

If the bird is 'walking' on her chest and knees, there is no way she can climb anywhere so I would just give her a large breeding canary cage or something similar to that -meaning a large surface but with no real height to it. At the bottom, I would first put something to make it soft (like batting) then a waterproof material and, finally, a soft material on top (but not a towel, she could get her claws caught in the little loopy thingies). And platforms wide enough for her entire body to rest on them which I would place on different levels (like steps on a stair). Finally, I would place her cage way up high so she feels she is in a tree.

Ede-bird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Maureen
Wow! this is all going to be a great help with creating a better set up for Tildy! Thank you all for sharing. I'll post pictures of her new cage set up when it's done :)

Flyte

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sarah
My gray, Tyler, is having a lot of trouble with his feet, one in particular due to arthritis..
I gave him a huge cushioned flat platform in the middle of his cage and he loves to walk on that. His heated perch does wonders too but I guess that wouldn't help your little one.

Maybe you could make a slightly raised platform too, to give a little more space. Don't use ladders to reach it, just make other little thin platforms for her to walk up. If you make sure they raise in very small increments and criss-cross around to reach the main platform she wont have to actually climb and she could still have an extra area to play.

I wasn't sure from your post but If she is actually able to use the ropes you could also just hang them from the sides of the platform and make a big knot at the top for her to pull herself up on.

It always amazes me how well they adapt. Pretty soon she'll be giving you looks, wondering why you bother walking around on your feet when it's easier to crawl!

Best of luck with her!!

- Sarah

J*M*L

Real Name
Julie
I like those Cajeput coffee table perches. The sides of them are shreddable, too. My tiel loves hers.

Birdasaurus

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Andrea
For comfortable surfaces I took shelves and put fleece-wrapped foam on it and then I cover it in paper towels for easy cleaning. I have a flight cage for my disabled budgies where I took out the grate and replaced it all with this foam method. I just make sure that the foam is firm so it doesn't give when they walk, but it still eases the pressure on my budgies one foot and the other budgies chest (she cant walk at all).

Status
Not open for further replies.