• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Spearmint is Bored

Spearmint

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
Hi All,
I've recently caught some sort of illness, and it's getting worse. I just got meds today but can barely move and think.
Due to this, Spearmint hasn't been having his daily 6-7 hours out, but rather an hour daily. This has gone on since the 12th, and he's starting to get irritated and bored.
I try to sit with him but i'm so tired and shaky that i'm really not up to handling his outgoing personality, and i'm worried about falling asleep when he's with me.
I've been rotating toys as much as possible, and trying my best to keep his cage clean.
What am I able to do for him to keep him busy? He's just been sitting on one perch for 2 days, and only moving for dinner or to occasionally play with his toys. What can I give him to keep him busy until i'm better?

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Oof, I dealt with this when I had covid/pneumonia. Honestly, as much as it sucks now, the biggest thing is getting you better so you can be the best for him. Do you have anyone who can help you? Any friends or family who can come over and hang with him?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
If he'll forage, forage! Divide his food between several bowls, cover with shredded paper, etc. If you put all his food in one bowl, he's done in 10 minutes and waiting for the next thing. Dividing it up and making him work for it can stretch a meal 10 minutes to 20-60 minutes and that's all time that not only is he eating, he's engaged and using his brain.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Most definitely foraging will help. I put large things (half a pumpkin type large for Burt- you could much smaller for your little one) on top of the cage so Burt has to forage through the bars of the roof, I also do this with boxes filled with ripped and screwed up paper and treats/food, screwed up paper with treats inside, I shove carrots and small capsicums through the roof bars too. A safe smaller branch with leaves, flowers and gumnuts if you have any avail were a good forage item too.

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
I hope you feel better soon

Spearmint

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
If he'll forage, forage! Divide his food between several bowls, cover with shredded paper, etc. If you put all his food in one bowl, he's done in 10 minutes and waiting for the next thing. Dividing it up and making him work for it can stretch a meal 10 minutes to 20-60 minutes and that's all time that not only is he eating, he's engaged and using his brain.
I'll start doing this! I might use Calendula florets for his chop so paper won't go soggy, he doesn't like eating Calendula so it'd work for a forage material.

Spearmint

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
Most definitely foraging will help. I put large things (half a pumpkin type large for Burt- you could much smaller for your little one) on top of the cage so Burt has to forage through the bars of the roof, I also do this with boxes filled with ripped and screwed up paper and treats/food, screwed up paper with treats inside, I shove carrots and small capsicums through the roof bars too. A safe smaller branch with leaves, flowers and gumnuts if you have any avail were a good forage item too.
I'll do something similar, maybe stuff some wicker balls and bamboo finger traps with treats and paper.

Spearmint

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
Oof, I dealt with this when I had covid/pneumonia. Honestly, as much as it sucks now, the biggest thing is getting you better so you can be the best for him. Do you have anyone who can help you? Any friends or family who can come over and hang with him?
Sadly not, my family can't handle him more than 10 min as he's too much for them, plus they end up patting his body because he "likes it" :arghh:
My grandma enjoys chatting to him so i'll ask if she's able to sit and read a book by him tomorrow.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I'll start doing this! I might use Calendula florets for his chop so paper won't go soggy, he doesn't like eating Calendula so it'd work for a forage material.
There you go :)

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Feel better soon!!!!

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Try putting parrot tv on youtube for him my two sit and watch it for ages

Spearmint

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
Try putting parrot tv on youtube for him my two sit and watch it for ages
I've tried this before but find he gets freaked out with the sudden noise. He's more of a fan of fish videos, koi fish ponds, etc.
I would put the TV on for him but his cage is not near a TV and it's a pain to move due to it's size. I'll put my ipad there though, he's near a table :)