• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Speaking Caique?

Aksarben

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Vernon
Have you ever heard much of Caique speaking ability?

Destiny

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
Sure, why not?

It is not their strong point, but they can.

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
Im sure there are exceptions, but none of mine have shown an inclination to talk

Aksarben

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Vernon
Some do, some don't. Kind of the norm for Parrots. :) Even those that are "known" for talking sometimes do not.
I understand from a video I watched last night on Youtube (Fives A Flock) when talking Caique that they can become jealous of other birds and if that happens, it's not pretty. Something like a Parrotlet or other may be in life threatening danger.

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
I am not aware of a connection between talking and aggression for caiques or any other species. My understanding is that caiques are fairly territorial and may be quite aggressive toward other birds in general. I don't think it makes a difference if they can talk or not.

Definitely not a great idea to mix them with smaller parrots, like parrotlets. In fact, I'd be hesitant to keep them with any other parrots. The odds are against it working out well in the long run. They can and will kill other birds if the mood takes them.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I wonder if a talking caique is more likely to have established with a close bond with a human which the bird percieves as a pair-bond, and thus more likely to be aggressive to other birds because they're guarding their 'mate'. The talking and aggression aren't directly linked, but are both present due to a pair-bond.

@Irishj9 has useful insights into caiques' aggression towards other birds (and indeed, each other)

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
They are naturally very physical, boisterous and energetic, which is great fun when they're in a good mood

On the other hand, this same energy can be deadly if a birdie makes a mistake, like standing between a caique and its food.

The stranger doesn't know caique sign language. Cannot apologise. And gets severly beaten for its impertinence, when it was clearly warned in the universally known caique sign code

Their body language is as fluent to them as english is to you.

dutchlings

Meeting neighbors
My caique speaks! He’s 9 months old and has picked up the following phrases so far:
  • Go poopie? / poopie?
  • Come here!
  • Good boooy!
He has a very squeaky voice. He’s still working on “good boy,” it comes out more like “guh boy” most times. Same thing happened with the previous 2 phrases, he was making noises that sounded vaguely like the words but we thought we were imagining things, until one day it was crystal clear. He loves saying all 3 phrases, whether he’s playing or hanging out, and I even heard him quietly say “poopie?” once while he was sleeping :rofl:

Weirdly enough, he’s associated actions with all the phrases he’s learned. He’ll tell us if he needs to poop by saying “poopie? Poopie? Poopie?!” He shouts “come here! Come here! Here here here!” at us if we walk out of sight (we use “come here” as his recall training command so he’s literally ordering us to come back to him). And he tries to say “good boy!” after he poops and raises a little foot if we don’t immediately fetch him off his favorite poop throne, like he’s trying to let us know that he’s done pooping and would like to go back to us.

Marvel_ous

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Trinity
Marvel talks quite a bit!
caiques in general can learn to talk a lot but it's not very clear (like a 1-yr-old, you can really only understand them if you spend some time with them)
She says "hi" "wooo" "marvel" "goodbye" (according to my dad) "what a bird" and "what what what a bird!" (she does the last two in a deep gravely voice, I think she learned them from the Grey in her previous home)
She also laughs, makes kissy noises, honks, wolf whistles, and "whispers" (sounds like the breathy noise you make when you're trying to whistle but can't, she'll mimic me when I do it)
very very chatty and LOUD! sorta like a tiel or conure in that if she's awake she's chattering

She talks the most in the shower or when she's fighting the Evil Green Shirt (an old soccer jersey she's decided must die)

Last edited: