• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

SPAYED KITTY HELP

Ilse

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Em
I need to stop bringing you guys bad news, I'm sorry.

There is some good news! My cat Mabel (the one who had the kitten that was throwing up) got spayed yesterday! yippee! Bad news is she opened her stitches.

Before you tell me I need to take her to the vet, I am soon, as soon as my dad gets home.

I do have a problem though, I'm not sure how to get her in the crate. I can't pick her up, she opened the top layer of stitches yesterday from jumping (I let her out of the crate as soon as we got her home, I won't do that today.) and today she was licking it and I THINK she opened the second layer, I'm not sure. It was bleeding a bit yesterday but it hasn't bled since.

Anyway, I've tried putting treats in there and she won't go. Obviously I can't pick her up, but I'm not sure what to do. Please help! I don't want to delay her visit!

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
I would...
1. Take the top off the carrier and set it close by.

2. Lay a large towel down on the ground
3. Put treats on the towel and get cat to lure her over. While she's eating, gently keep one hand on her back, and quickly wrap the towel over her like a burrito.
4. Slowly pick her up and place her in the bottom part of the carrier and then put the top of the carrier back on.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Does your crate come apart? If so maybe take the top off which often makes it less of a problem for the cat

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I was about to post pretty much the exact same idea as Peachfaced.

The other thing you could do is just wrap her in the towel (firmly) and try to wrestle her into the crate or just hold on to her for the trip there with the towel wrapped around her.

Ilse

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Em
Thanks for the help everyone! I updated my post a few hours ago but it didn't seem to register... hm. Well, we got Mabel in and she's staying at the vet overnight! Apparently she just pulled out the stitches herself, it wasn't from her jumping. They didn't put a cone on her even though the stitches were in such an obvious spot for Mabel to get to, it was a little silly on their part. One vet said we would have to pay but another said it was covered by warranty and we wouldn't need to so we'll see how it goes tomorrow!

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
My cat did not need a cone collar as she was not bothered at all by her stitches and actually never touched them. Same with all my dogs and ferrets, not all pets will annoy the stitches but the vet still should have offered a collar in case. The vet has always sent me home with a collar but I have never used them. I would assume that because they know the chances are so very high of the animal removing the stitches and they did not give you a cone collar they should not charge you, it was a little over looked on their behalf really. So pleased to hear Mabel is ok and having her stitches replaced.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Good that you got Mabel to the vet and hope all will be well. They really shouldn't charge you for redoing the stitches.

Ilse

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Em
We just brought Mabel home, they did charge us. They said it was originally going to be $500, but we got a discount and now it's a bit over $200, so I guess that's better :p We aren't sure where to put her, everywhere in our house has places for her to jump and we don't know how to keep her calm...

WeasleyLover

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Maddy
We just brought Mabel home, they did charge us. They said it was originally going to be $500, but we got a discount and now it's a bit over $200, so I guess that's better :p We aren't sure where to put her, everywhere in our house has places for her to jump and we don't know how to keep her calm...

Do you have a dog crate? If you do you could put her bed and a small litter box in and keep her in there. When my kitty got spayed that was the only way to keep her from jumping and being crazy.

Or maybe a walk in closet? Only if the shelves are high enough that she can't jump up to them.

Ilse

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Em
Do you have a dog crate? If you do you could put her bed and a small litter box in and keep her in there. When my kitty got spayed that was the only way to keep her from jumping and being crazy.

Or maybe a walk in closet? Only if the shelves are high enough that she can't jump up to them.
We have her in my sisters room, there are things she can jump on but we've put things up there so she can't. I think they did her stitches pretty tight so they won't come out unless she gets her cone off (which she has twice but I've tightened her collar a bit ((not enough to hurt her))) and she licks or bites it.

Sylvester

Hit the Road
Glad she is doing better.

500 dollars, for what?! Did she stay at the 'Four Seasons'? That is a ridiculous price and 200 isn't much better. What a racket the veterinary bushiness has become

Cats are expected to jump around and generally be a cat after surgery, so if the stitches came out, that's on the Vet. Did he/she even send any pain meds home with her?

Last edited:

Ilse

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Em
Glad she is doing better.

500 dollars, for what?! Did she stay at the 'Four Seasons'? That is a ridiculous price and 200 isn't much better. What a racket the veterinary bushiness has become

Cats are expected to jump around and generally be a cat after surgery, so if the stitches came out, that's on the Vet. Did he/she even send any pain meds home with her?
I apologize for the long wait for a reply! Christmas time is a busy time! Anyway, the first time we took her home we were given pain meds but the second time we were not. We hadn't used the first two lots of meds we were given since she needed to return to the vet the very next day so we were instructed to give her what we still had and she would be okay.

ALSO! AN UPDATE! Mabel has her cone off now, she's going outside and everything is good!

Sylvester

Hit the Road
Thank you for replying back and giving us an update. I am hearten to hear that Mabel is back to being her old cat self.