• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sparrows fallen out of the nest! (sad update #10)

clarousel

Rollerblading along the road
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to figure out what to do, I just found these two sparrow chicks:

20210606_163301.jpg

The nest is quite high up so I'm not sure if they fell out by accident or when attempting to fledge. They still have markings on the sides of their beaks.

The parents have been around all day, can't tell if they're distressed but they've definitely been noisy.

Are they able to fly yet? I want to make sure they're safe by night time as there are rats and cats in the neighbourhood!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
My eye sight is absolutely terrible but from what I can make out the one I see clearest looks to be a fledgling to me.
We get lots of them practicing to fly in our yard as they nest in our yard and also in the neighbors tall palm trees. The parents are usually very close by to feed if needed and encourage them to attempt to fly again but they often end up spending a long time recovering from their first flight attempt- we’ve had them sleep on the ground all night under something or low down in a bush. If you’re worried about cats I’d say put something there the birds can hide under that cats can’t fit under but the rats are something that will likely cause issues that cats don’t.
It’s not usually advised to interfere but maybe you could place them on top of something up high to give them a better chance if they’re still there at sun down?

clarousel

My eye sight is absolutely terrible but from what I can make out the one I see clearest looks to be a fledgling to me.
We get lots of them practicing to fly in our yard as they nest in our yard and also in the neighbors tall palm trees. The parents are usually very close by to feed if needed and encourage them to attempt to fly again but they often end up spending a long time recovering from their first flight attempt- we’ve had them sleep on the ground all night under something or low down in a bush. If you’re worried about cats I’d say put something there the birds can hide under that cats can’t fit under but the rats are something that will likely cause issues that cats don’t.
It’s not usually advised to interfere but maybe you could place them on top of something up high to give them a better chance if they’re still there at sun down?
My dad said they're fledglings too although the hiding one seemed a little younger. I'll leave them alone for now and have a look later. Perhaps they'd be gone in a couple of hours!
Thanks Shezbug!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
If you are worried over their safety and nightfall comes, you could return them to their nest. But hopefully you shouldn´t need to interfere.

clarousel

I've just headed out for a bit and they're still there, parents have gone. I can't reach the nest as its above the stairs.

Should I leave them be? If I move them, they'll be a few metres away.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I would try to secure the area so predators can´t get near but essentially leave the birds be.

Maybe this will help;

@iamwhoiam

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Hoping for a good update here @clarousel
The rats have me a little concerned, i’m hoping the babies took flight or at least managed to flutter up to a safe roost for the night. Keeping my fingers crossed for them.

clarousel

I went down to check on them at 9pm and they were still there huddled together and asleep (super cute!). Earlier on i startled them so I heard the other chicks in the nest and this made me decide to leave them since the parents must be around. Also after reading the links Zara shared, perhaps best not for me to interfere with nature.

There wasn't anywhere I could move them without someone taking them too. I'll check on them again later and if they're still there, maybe I'll put them in a box.

clarousel

The chicks are still there, one is huddled even further behind the pipe. The parents are still around so that's a good sign!

Hope they're not injured or anything and will come out to join their parents!

clarousel

Sad update: the chicks are gone, most likely eaten since I found one dead body :( I heard them late last night but assumed it was the parents feeding. I wish I had gone down to look because I did think it was strange to hear them. I guess that what happens!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
aww poor little bubs!

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Aww that´s sad. Hopefully one got away if you only found one body. That´s the circle of life, as cruel as it seems :( Try not to feel too bad over it :sadhug:

clarousel

It's funny cause we've been seeing either one of the parents when they come up to the ledge (I live on the 1st floor) and this morning we saw 2 sparrows near the stairwell. I assume they were the parents and they were just staring at us like they knew we've been watching out for their chicks. Could've just been 2 random sparrows, who knows!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sorry that the babies did not survive. With fledglings it's generally recommended to let them be because the parents are usually around looking after them.